Update NYC unlicensed carry

This is a discussion on Update NYC unlicensed carry within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Stephen Grant takes a plea deal in Manhattan court and avoids jail on gun charge A Maryland businessmann who mistakenly brought a loaded pistol to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update NYC unlicensed carry

Update NYC unlicensed carry

Stephen Grant takes a plea deal in Manhattan court and avoids jail on gun charge

A Maryland businessmann who mistakenly brought a loaded pistol to New York — and then forgot it here — pleaded guilty to a reduced gun charge Wednesday, avoiding a potentially hefty jail term.

Stephen Grant is the latest gun-toting tourist to find himself on the wrong side of the city’s tough weapons laws.

Grant forgot to take his Walther PK380 handgun out of his car before leaving his Eastern Shore home for a weekend in New York last April. Then he left it in his midtown hotel room safe when he checked out.

Grant, 64, called security at the Muse Hotel on W. 46th St. to alert them he’d “left the weapon and drove back to collect it on May 1.

“When he arrives, there are detectives,” said his lawyer, Robert Gottlieb.

“Grant faced up to 15 years in prison but he walked out of Manhattan Criminal Court a free man after taking a no-jail misdemeanor plea deal offered by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance’s office.

Grant was one of a rash of out-of-staters arrested for bringing licensed guns to New York - some with no apparent clue they are breaking New York law.

The arrests are fueling calls for a federal law to force New York to honor gun-carry permits issued by other states.

Tourist Meredith Graves was cuffed Dec. 22 when she told officials at the 9/11 Memorial she was packing heat.

A Tea Party leader was arrested at LaGuardia Airport two weeks earlier as he tried to board a plane with a locked gun box with a Glock inside.

In September, cops booked Indiana jeweler Ryan Jerome, 28, when he tried to check a licensed handgun while visiting the Empire State Building.

“He’s not a criminal,” said Jerome’s defense lawyer, Mark Bederow, who is pushing Vance’s office to dismiss the case outright.

Like the others, Ryan was charged with criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree. Their cases are pending.

Bederow also represented Florida landscaper Jonathan Ryan who was acquitted by a jury last February after Vance’s office refused to dismiss the same stiff gun charge.

Ryan drove to New York forgetting he had a licensed gun in his glove compartment and was arrested when cops pulled him over for taking a right on red.

Grant, who said he knew about New York’s tough laws, blames himself but remains shocked the case wasn’t dismissed - and at his near brush with a mandatory minimum of 3 ½ years in prison if he’d been convicted of the felony.

“I’m amazed anything like this could get so far without common sense intervening,” said Grant, a grandfather who said he got a Maryland gun permit because he owns a credit reporting business and regularly transports large quantities of cash.

Manhattan’s Assistant District Attorney Shawn McMahon told a judge “it would not be just” for Grant, a Vietnam vet with no arrest record, to be sent to jail as he justified reducing the charge. Vance’s office declined further comment.

With a misdemeanor conviction on his record now, Grant still has to convince Maryland authorities to renew his permit.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know about this one, I'm happy he is not facing a jail time. But the hit he is going to take with the misdemeanor may cost him his permit.

VIP Member
    I hope all here who opposed the recent National Reciprocity bill which passed The House are paying attention to these absurdities.
    All fully avoidable in a proper world.

For those familiar with NICS, suppose the home state of any of these people decided that they would ignore the misdemeanor or even felony conviction and continue to grant the CHL. Would NICS get in the way of them purchasing?

"What a tangled web we weave" usually applies to telling lies, but it also applies to the consequences of innocent mistakes when traveling in NY, and a few other states.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I hope all here who opposed the recent National Reciprocity bill which passed The House are paying attention to these absurdities. <snip>
    For those familiar with NICS, suppose the home state of any of these people decided that they would ignore the misdemeanor or even felony conviction and continue to grant the CHL. Would NICS get in the way of them purchasing?
    I have to say with this one that the group opposed to the Feds getting involved have a good score here. The involvement of the Feds, via NICS could be a problem in these types of scenarios. Unfortunately, since they are involved, it will take the Fed to get out of it. In many ways it would have been best to keep the Feds out of it in the first place. I suppose, if the state has a program where you can get a state issued permit allowing purchase without a NICS check, one would still be able to legally obtain and own guns. This brings to mind the system in my state, NC, where a CC permit allows you to purchase without the NICS check, but this also has the controversy of getting the permit, which is easily copied, out of the hands of a felon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I have to say with this one that the group opposed to the Feds getting involved have a good score here. The involvement of the Feds, via NICS could be a problem in these types of scenarios. Unfortunately, since they are involved, it will take the Fed to get out of it. In many ways it would have been best to keep the Feds out of it in the first place. I suppose, if the state has a program where you can get a state issued permit allowing purchase without a NICS check, one would still be able to legally obtain and own guns. This brings to mind the system in my state, NC, where a CC permit allows you to purchase without the NICS check, but this also has the controversy of getting the permit, which is easily copied, out of the hands of a felon.
    I suppose private sales would work too. Now, you say you can purchase without the NICS check. OK, but will you ever pass the background check when you try to renew a license.

What a screwy mess. Hope the National Reciprocity bill gets somewhere in The Senate. These stories we have been reading are
    a really good reason why it is must have legislation.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Grant was lucky that his offense happened in Manhatten. JFK and LaGuardia come under the jurisdiction of the Queens DA: He treats gun offensives very seriously.

There's not a lot of common sense in NYC!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

who said you have to be smart to be in poltics and goverment office

Senior Moderator
    I hope all here who opposed the recent National Reciprocity bill which passed The House are paying attention to these absurdities.
    All fully avoidable in a proper world.
    In a proper world, we wouldn't need a permit to exercise our Second Amendment which shall not be infringed.

Doesn't matter what the home state says or thinks. They default to NICS. NICS would definitely deny their purchase. Any dealer that went ahead and completed the deal in spite of NICS would eventually have their door kicked down, their dog shot and their cat stomped by the Ninja Clad Feds.

"What a tangled web we weave" usually applies to telling lies, but it also applies to the consequences of innocent mistakes when traveling in NY, and a few other states.
    Because common sense nor the U.S. Constitution applies in those states.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Like previous posts on this subject, NYC gun restrictions are NOT working to control crime but the narrow minded powers that be subscribe to it because it is the popular opinion for those not in the know.

VIP Member
    Hopyard.

Anybody know where we are with this bill ?.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I was wondering how the national reciprocity law would work in NY. A NY state license is not valid in NYC unless vaildated by the city. So if we have national reciporocity, wouldn't anyone with a license from outside NYC still need to have their license validated by NYC for it to be honored? It seems to me national reciprocity will not help this issue directly.

Simple solution for me,"Never go to New York" where they break the laws first!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I was wondering how the national reciprocity law would work in NY. A NY state license is not valid in NYC unless vaildated by the city. So if we have national reciporocity, wouldn't anyone with a license from outside NYC still need to have their license validated by NYC for it to be honored? It seems to me national reciprocity will not help this issue directly.
    They NYS/NYC thing is part of the state law (NYS PL 400.00(6)) and I'd be willing to bet the federal law would be written "notwithstanding state or local laws..." meaning NYS residents still might not be able to carry in the city but they would be forced to allow out of staters.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I would think that the law would allow you to carry anywhere there exists the possibility of getting a permit, including NYC. But maybe not.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links