Public Shooting Range incident tonight

This is a discussion on Public Shooting Range incident tonight within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, My good friend asked me if I wanted to go to the range after work because he needed to practice with his pistol. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Public Shooting Range incident tonight

Public Shooting Range incident tonight

Well, My good friend asked me if I wanted to go to the range after work because he needed to practice with his pistol. I agreed at first but remembered my wife and I had some things that needed to be talked over tonight and I could not go. I let him know and he went without me.
    About 2 hours ago he texts me and says that someone got shot at the range.

Come to find out, A gentleman came in, rented a gun, walked up to the slot directly next to my buddy, loaded one round in the chamber and put it to his head.
    He was kind enough to turn so the round went down range. There was a family with two 10 +/- year old girls shooting tonight. My friend has been there for awhile and was shook up.

My first thought was that if I had gone, I would have been in that lane next to my buddy which would have put me next to that guy. And, what if this guy had loaded a full mag and started shooting? What if he could not work up the courage but knew that "one of these people with guns will take me out if I start going crazy"

This is a reminder why I just can't justify going to "just any old range" I can't wait until my house is built on our land...

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    What if ....................................... ....................... life is all about "what if"
    Inspector71 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

If you had been there you would have witnessed a suicide, nothing more.
    9MMare, suntzu, NYCrulesU and 1 others like this.

Dang, that's sad... I'm glad you didn't have to experience it, be there for your buddy.

That said, it's about the same as leaving for work and forgetting something at home - so you turn around to grab it. On your way to work there's an accident that just happened... You 'could' have been in it had you not turned around, it's a weird feeling.

Just think about the possible kids, wife, parents,.... the guy left behind. A selfish act.
    Erick46590 and Secret Spuk like this.

Everybody dies...we just don't know the schedule.
    Apparently, you or your buddy were not on the schedule.
    A lot of time can be wasted on trying to figure it all out...time to move on.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Many ranges in Florida won't rent a hand gun if you're there alone. You need to have a buddy with you to rent.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Another one .... geez. Two incidents here in Dec @ 2 different ranges, now they are reviewing their policy of renting guns.

We told them maybe they should post a map on the door, to the nearest tall bridge.

Some things they are considering;
    1) you have to be a member ... not sure of the whole logic there.
    2) have a range master if you've never been there with you if you rent a gun, but I sure wouldn't want to be the range master.... it doesn't mean it will stop them at all.

and the best .... I think ....

1) if you want to rent a gun, you have to walk in with a gun ..... (if you were going to use a gun for suicide you already have one, so renting one would make no sense), and / or have the recommendation of an instructor or a member ( for new gun buyers).
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

IF SOME GUY WANTS TO END IT.......i'M OK WITH THAT...... AS LONG AS HE LEAVES ME OUT OF IT.
    Secret Spuk and NYCrulesU like this.

damn rookies... everyone knows you eat the muzzle .... no missing that way

Suicide by car, by booze, by exposure, by cop, by gun at a public range... it's all tragic to comprehend, but if you're not the cause then you need to get past it quickly. The deceased had problems beyond our knowledge and our abilities to resolve, and they alone - regrettably - chose a path which was less than private. I'm glad I wasn't there, but I'm not going to let someone's ill-advised choice cost me more than a moment or two of my life.

A vastly different and more private and refined example: A cop friend back in CT took a call one night to look in on an older gent (mid/late-70s) that the neighbor hadn't seen in a few days. My friend found the man deceased in the man's garage, a suicide. He was retired military and had lost his wife of many decades a few months earlier. He left the house as neat as a pin, then he proceeded to the garage and put down a piece of old carpet to minimize any mess. My friend found two empty cartridge cases, but the deceased had only one wound to the head form a small-caliber pistol. The explanation was that the man fired a round to make sure the gun worked before using it on himself. Simple, clean and neat, and zero drama. If you're going to do it, that's a class act to follow.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Since weird old Doc Kavorkian (sp?) died, firing ranges have unfortunately become an unwilling contributor to "assisted suicide" - but, as gasmitty mentioned, so have a lot of other methods as well. At least the firing range choice is less apt to end up with major collateral damage to other people and property I suppose.

There are a lot less messy ways to commit suicide,and you don't traumatize a buncha people
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Any time someone witnesses a person taking their own life is a tragedy, nothing more. The what if factor is a moot point. You have a greater chance of buying it driving to the range and having a semi rig rolling over you or being trapped in a burning building.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post

My first thought was that if I had gone, I would have been in that lane next to my buddy which would have put me next to that guy. And, what if this guy had loaded a full mag and started shooting? What if he could not work up the courage but knew that "one of these people with guns will take me out if I start going crazy"

This is a reminder why I just can't justify going to "just any old range" I can't wait until my house is built on our land...
    I don't think it is documented that this has ever happened to a public sector citizen. Suicide by "Cop" is common. Still, having a private place to shoot is still the best.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links