Good?: Police decide not to charge homeowner

This is a discussion on Good?: Police decide not to charge homeowner within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; who shot a man as he was trying to kick in his door... Good? The police decided not to charge? Incomplete reportage... Was the BG ...

Thread: Good?: Police decide not to charge homeowner

Good?: Police decide not to charge homeowner

who shot a man as he was trying to kick in his door...

Good? The police decided not to charge? Incomplete reportage... Was the BG armed? Why was this a decision (shouldn't it be a foregone conclusion)?

Here's the story
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Bad: if charging him was ever even a consideration.

There are some pretty nice farms available these days, too bad the bad guy didn't buy one.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    It should be a forgone conclusion; someone is trying to kick in your door they are not there to collect for the Red Cross but are demonstrating a threat and should be dealt with accordingly.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sounds like Castle Doctrine, doesn't matter if someone is armed or not, someone breaking into your house, it is assumed they are there to cause harm, you have a right to defend yourself. Good Call.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    It should be a forgone conclusion; someone is trying to kick in your door they are not there to collect for the Red Cross but are demonstrating a threat and should be dealt with accordingly.
    Could have been a no-knock warrant...hard to tell LOL

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Could have been a no-knock warrant...hard to tell LOL
    Frankly, a no-knock warrent will probably end the same as this story at my house, except the "no charges were pressed" part. Fine example of why no-knock warrents are foolish and unecessesarily dangerious to both the police and home owners. They need to anounce! If not, it limits my right to defend myself. If I have to play ten thousand questions with a criminal to determin if they are the police or the BG its probably too late for me. That is why warrents, anouncing who they are, and uniforms are so important. Look I wouldnt go deer hunting dressed as a dear, I wouldnt go to war dressed as the enimy, and I sure as heck wouldnt want to kick in someones door and go rushing in unanounced! How about you guys? LOL
    Miracles happen, not in opposition to Nature,
    but in opposition to what we know of Nature.

St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Jpeetz View Post
    Frankly, a no-knock warrent will probably end the same as this story at my house, except the "no charges were pressed" part. Fine example of why no-knock warrents are foolish and unecessesarily dangerious to both the police and home owners. They need to anounce! If not, it limits my right to defend myself. If I have to play ten thousand questions with a criminal to determin if they are the police or the BG its probably too late for me. That is why warrents, anouncing who they are, and uniforms are so important. Look I wouldnt go deer hunting dressed as a dear, I wouldnt go to war dressed as the enimy, and I sure as heck wouldnt want to kick in someones door and go rushing in unanounced! How about you guys? LOL
    I agree. Somebody kicks my door down, they're getting a belly-full. I'll figure out who they are after the dust settles.
    Last edited by Flasher; January 11th, 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Links