And one more for today:

And one more for today:

This is a discussion on And one more for today: within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Five masked gunmen, take over home and assault 2 of the six residents. It's getting a little crazy out there with the home invasions....

Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flasher

Thread: And one more for today:

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,414

    And one more for today:

    Five masked gunmen, take over home and assault 2 of the six residents.

    It's getting a little crazy out there with the home invasions.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose


  2. #2
    Member Array Flasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pocono Mtns, PA
    Posts
    174
    Yet the anti-gun commies say that law-abiding citizens don't need to have guns... "That's what we have police for!" Notice that the criminals kept saying "15 minutes max, 15 minutes max," and the cops arrived 17 minutes after the initial break in... Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it?

    Now, imagine if the man under the car was armed and shot a couple of the BG's, then the woman who came to the door did so with a shotgun. Would probably be a whole different outcome.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

    A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

  3. #3
    Member Array Jpeetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tomahawk Wi.
    Posts
    268
    Eventually they will pick the wrong house and we will figure out just who these 15 min capers are. They will do it again and again untill they find a house like yours or mine and their get rich quick scheem will end in a pile of lead instead of jewelry and electronics.
    Miracles happen, not in opposition to Nature,
    but in opposition to what we know of Nature.

    St. Augustine

  4. #4
    Member Array ping.brady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    105
    Glad everyone is OK, but would being armed have changed much here? Hear me out.

    They got the jump on this citizen, so you have to assume even with a heightened sense of security, they could have gotten the same advantage on a carrying person in the exact same situation. Now you're in your home, with your family, and 5 armed BGs, then what? You get into a fire fight with them using one pistol?

    I think working on your car in a closed garage, having doors looked, intruder alarm with panic button or other layered safety measures would have made more of a difference here. Not just carrying a weapon.

    Remember, not trying to convince anyone of anything, just trying to have a healthy conversation about this, as I have considered situations like this and wonder what I would do, or what statistics recommend is even the right thing to do. Not engaging can safe your life as much as engaging in some cases.

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,414
    Quote Originally Posted by ping.brady View Post
    Glad everyone is OK, but would being armed have changed much here? Hear me out.

    They got the jump on this citizen, so you have to assume even with a heightened sense of security, they could have gotten the same advantage on a carrying person in the exact same situation. Now you're in your home, with your family, and 5 armed BGs, then what? You get into a fire fight with them using one pistol?

    I think working on your car in a closed garage, having doors looked, intruder alarm with panic button or other layered safety measures would have made more of a difference here. Not just carrying a weapon.

    Remember, not trying to convince anyone of anything, just trying to have a healthy conversation about this, as I have considered situations like this and wonder what I would do, or what statistics recommend is even the right thing to do. Not engaging can safe your life as much as engaging in some cases.
    In the spirit of healthy conversation, you are right... A layered defense would have been more of a deterrent.. OTOH, What Flasher said is equally true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    . . .Now, imagine if the man under the car was armed and shot a couple of the BG's, then the woman who came to the door did so with a shotgun. Would probably be a whole different outcome.
    If you happened to be one who was always armed on your property, and you were under the car working on it... and somebody pulled you out by your feet, you might have time to draw... and fire.... in an ideal world... mebbe not so much in reality...

    But I have to say it would be wonderful to be so lucky as to have 3 of 'em pull you out, you draw and fire on the three... they scatter or run towards the house, and wifey is there at the door to greet 'em with a shotty... that would be beautiful... but just too Hollywood to happen in the real world...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array Hiram25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wyoming, DE
    Posts
    11,084
    10:50 p.m., my doors are locked.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    10:50 p.m., my doors are locked.
    But... but... but... all the "Fun" you're missing!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  8. #8
    Member Array paching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Posts
    407
    A mossy 500 at the door would've put the brakes on the bg at the door and a "BOOM" would've sent all of them scattering for cover. I'd rather take my chances with a shotty than with the BG. They could have raped that 14 yr old girl and ruined her life. There's nothing of importantce that needs to be fixed at 1050 pm.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

  9. #9
    VIP Member
    Array Pistology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South Coast LA Cty
    Posts
    2,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Yet the anti-gun commies say that law-abiding citizens don't need to have guns... "That's what we have police for!"
    That's what we have the Supreme Court and Heller and McDonald for.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,414
    Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    There's nothing of importantce that needs to be fixed at 1050 pm.
    Unless you work 11-7 shift and you gotta get to work on your new, good paying job.... and man, you're gonna be late, 'cause the clutch rod slipped out of it's cone again...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,762
    My doors are always locked, I'm always armed...life goes on, but those who wish to be great victims can continue to do so.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors