Update: Good news 9/11 gun gal may Tenn. Waltz

This is a discussion on Update: Good news 9/11 gun gal may Tenn. Waltz within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 9/11 gun gal may Tenn. Waltz The Manhattan DA is trying to work out a plea deal for the Tennessee tourist who accidentally brought an ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By ep1953

Thread: Update: Good news 9/11 gun gal may Tenn. Waltz

Update: Good news 9/11 gun gal may Tenn. Waltz

9/11 gun gal may Tenn. Waltz

The Manhattan DA is trying to work out a plea deal for the Tennessee tourist who accidentally brought an out-of-state-registered handgun to the 9/11 Memorial and was arrested when she tried to check it with a cop, The Post has learned.
    Meredith Graves, 39, faces a mandatory 3 1/2 to 15 years for the Dec. 22 blunder if convicted at trial, but could walk away with a no-jail deal, sources said.
    Both sides are “hoping to resolve this quietly,” said a source.
    Graves’ arrest sparked calls in the Legislature and by The Post to re-examine New York’s tough gun laws, which critics say fail to properly account for criminal intent.
    She had the handgun in her purse when she got to the memorial and asked a cop if she could check it when she saw a “no guns” sign. She has a Tennessee permit for the pistol.

Read more: Plea deal in works for gun-toting tourist - NYPOST.com

Now do you take the deal or go all the way?

2. Remove Ads

I think that N.Y. is finally waking up.
    They can't hide in their cave forever.
    I hope we welcome them to the 21st century soon.

VIP Member
    Would depend on the deal, misdemeanor and fine I would go for it.
    oneshot likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

This is our INjustice System...what a crock of toro feces, and the politicians are all immune from it.
    Hopyard and zacii like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Man I knew more about the story than the paper did!

Gotta wait to see the deal!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Why should she have to make a deal? The heat should be kept on the DA to DROP the case.
    Hopyard likes this.

I think the outside pressure on NYC to make a deal with this lady is going to happen. Most everyone can see that she really did not intend to break any firearms laws, but in her ignorance, she did not fully understand it was against the law. A very common mistake because there are so many danged laws even Law Enforcement cannot keep up with them. We have 50 states and so many cities that it would be impossible to know every one perfectly.

I would say that NYC will impose a very heavy fine. It's the money after all that is really wanted, it isn't about the guns, it's about the money from fines to go into NYC coffers.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I would say that NYC will impose a very heavy fine. It's the money after all that is really wanted, it isn't about the guns, it's about the money from fines to go into NYC coffers.
    Ding Ding give that man a prize.

If it was truly about justice and not about the money, there would be no plea bargining. Either you are guilt or not.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I am reminded of the C.A.N.T philosophy one of our members uses as a signature. If she had just kept her trap shut and stayed away from any place with metal detectors.

Kind of reminds me of the time I traveled for work and had a can of freeze spray. The signs said no aerosols allowed. I was going to drop it in the trash but there were cops all over the place and the last thing I was going to do was pull something out of my bag and drop it in a garbage can at an airport. Sorry, doing the right thing lost in deference to playing the gray man. It went right through the baggage scanners, too.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

If she was in Mississippi instead of NY and convicted of murder, not illegal possession, she could get a full pardon from the Governor.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71243.html
    Last edited by tovisitor98; January 12th, 2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added link

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    What I am astonished by is the complete ignorance of these people as regards other states carry laws. As CC permit holders, we hold ourselves out as responsible gun owners and one the responsibilities of ownership of a firearm is to know and comply with all laws and regulations. While I am sypathetic to the individuals plight and I hope she gets a reduced charge, she was not what I would consider a "responsible" firearm owner and gives those of us that are a bad name.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I think the outside pressure on NYC to make a deal with this lady is going to happen. Most everyone can see that she really did not intend to break any firearms laws, but in her ignorance, she did not fully understand it was against the law. A very common mistake because there are so many danged laws even Law Enforcement cannot keep up with them. We have 50 states and so many cities that it would be impossible to know every one perfectly.

Exactly, which is why we need each state to recognize reciprocity!
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

Hope she walks with no criminal history.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Links