Bad guys walking..

Bad guys walking..

This is a discussion on Bad guys walking.. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anybody care to weigh in on Haley Barbor's decision to release over 200 convicts as he leaves office? I am baffled by this and am ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paramedic70002

Thread: Bad guys walking..

Bad guys walking..

Anybody care to weigh in on Haley Barbor's decision to release over 200 convicts as he leaves office? I am baffled by this and am beginning to believe that a Govenor's power may be too much.
    The stated cause on most was that they were sick and it costs the state too much to keep them. WHAT??!! Fire some of your cabinet, advisers, etc. to save the money. This was done without even informing the victims or surviving family of the victims.
    It's an insult to the juries, police and the whole judicial system in my opinion.
    As I said, I'm baffled and did not expect this from him. I thought he was way too young to be suffering from dimentia.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

We have parole boards for a reason,I don't think one guy should have the power to release hardened criminals without at least 2 other signatures,one being the Director of Prisons in their State
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    They brought up a good point on the news, that he violated a law where victims of the crimes must be given a 30 day (I think) notice before the offender is released. Despicable.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Proof that one cannot trust politicians regardless of party affiliation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It was a pathetically ridiculous decision. He should be made to give his home address and name of his kids school to each convict he released. We'd see how fast he wouldn't want them on the street now.....

VIP Member
    Although some key things seem to have been botched in how things were done, the pardon powers Governors typically have are under utilized. We have millions of prisoners and ex- prisoners, and there are plenty who either are actually deserving of pardons or are people to whom some mercy and generosity can be applied.

I think most if not all Governors (and our Presidents) have traditionally handled this aspect of their job rather poorly.

Jail (and lethal force) though sadly necessary evils, are not the only possible rational responses to criminal acts.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Jail (and lethal force) though sadly necessary evils, are not the only possible rational responses to criminal acts.

You are quite right. Perhaps if we started hanging some of the more violent ones, we'd have more room for people that cant pay their taxes or are late on their mortgage payments.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Once you're pardoned, you no longer have a criminal record, so the government can no longer hold you for one day much less 30. I believe the executive's ability to pardon outweighs any law unless that law specifically targets the power to pardon. That being said, there probably should be some more oversight, and if the pardon is the right thing to do, why wait until you leave office?
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    I recall Bill Clinton pardoning particularly wealthy white-collars, and drug kingpins on his way out. I'm sure he came out quite well on those deals.

I suspect that a lot of money and favors go back and forth.

Yeah, we're still trying to puzzle this out down here. From the latest I've heard, other than the number, most really aren't much of an issue (they've served their time and have stayed out of trouble, the sick ones are either dying or have such severe medical issues they are not a threat to society, etc). But, there's about 15 or so where we can only say "Huh?!!. There has been an injunction issued, so will have to see what the court says. Our State Constitution says that the applicant for a pardon must post it in the local paper where the crime occured for 30 days. Apparently didn't happen in several cases. The state AG is reviewing each case. Governor Barbour did a lot of great things for our state, unfortunately, this may be what he is remembered for.

Among those pardoned by Barbour were 16 murderers. In the end Barbour cared more for violent scumbags than he cared for their victims and the families of their victims.

Sponsored Links