Bad: Beating the elderly

This is a discussion on Bad: Beating the elderly within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...to death in home invasions... Story here Some of us have elderly parents still alive and living in their own homes. Are your parents prepared?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard

Thread: Bad: Beating the elderly

Bad: Beating the elderly

...to death in home invasions... Story here

Some of us have elderly parents still alive and living in their own homes. Are your parents prepared?
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Home invasions like this one ,,,,is the reason
    "no knock warrants" should NOT be issued,,,,
    most likely a lot of police will be shot because of
    these type of invasions. By the time you KNOW
    who is the GOOD OR BAD ,,,,, its to late if it is BG.

Mine are not

I am worried something similar will happen to my grandparents. They live in an awful neighborhood. It used to be nice, in the 50's, but there's a block of crappy apartments behind them that were built in the 70's. Since then, the apartments have slowly fallen into disrepair, rent has gotten dirt-cheap, and sleaze bags have started to move in. The city recently closed a meth lab in one of the apartments, and about 3 months before that there was a fatal, drug-related shooting inanother apartment.

That said, they fail to realize how dangerous their hood is. They say "We've lived here since the 50s and we're not moving". My grandpa is ex-military, and does keep a SW Model 19 .357, loaded, in his nightstand. But I think he is cognitively impaired! I was visiting them about 2 weeks ago, when I heard a pounding at the front door, at 2 AM!. I got dressed, and put my CCW (Bodyguard 380) in my pants, and started moving to the door. When I got there, my grandpa, in his PJs, was opening the door to two shady looking young women! By shady I mean, baggy, dark clothes, and lots of makeup. You know the type. Anyways, he was ready to let them inside. Apparently, they had some story about needing money to buy diapers.

So I told them to leave, closed and locked the door and turned on all the exterior lights. My grandpa couldn't understand why I would do that.
    After this incident, we did have ADT come and install a monitored security system, so hopefully that works. But if he keeps opening the door to strangers at 2 AM, it's a scary thought.

Well, I'm glad you put in the security system for them.... if they arm it...

Our parents...
    Mine are long dead. But if they were still around, I guess I'd try to prepare them for this nasty world... I'd try to arm them and to teach them about the dangers of opening the door. We owe our parents a lot... they got us this far in life...

the scum that did this to these oldsters need to be hung... from lamp posts.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    I'm elderly. My message, come and get it! Make my day. It "ain't" for nothing I spend my time practicing H2H; Gun? Yeah, I got 'em but I'd rather dislocate shoulders and break fingers. Maybe slice a part or two loose with a blade. The visual image is more satisfying.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'm elderly. My message, come and get it! Make my day. It "ain't" for nothing I spend my time practicing H2H; Gun? Yeah, I got 'em but I'd rather dislocate shoulders and break fingers. Maybe slice a part or two loose with a blade. The visual image is more satisfying.
    The older I get, the lazier I get. I'm all for H2H, but I'm getting too banged up with bad shoulders and a "baddish" leg... As to knife fighting... eh... I can cut somebody, sure... but I'm lazy enough that I don't wanna clean up the mess... So let 'em bring it.. I'm just as happy to put holes in them as I am to put holes in paper and reactive targets.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

These "in these news" titles on this forum are pretty entertaining. Does anybody else enjoy them? I know there are news articles attached, but I just like to read the titles.

Bad: Beating the elderly - um, yeah, I would say so.

Good: Robber gets shot in the face - lol

Bad: Hurting Infants - really? you must be joking

Good: Another pregnant women with a shotgun - lol

I read an Economist article a couple months ago about ccw and it mentioned this website. If they were just looking at "in the news," then I can see why they might be worried.

Links