82 year old man shoots and kills burglar

This is a discussion on 82 year old man shoots and kills burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Daytona man, 82, shoots burglar dead - News...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 82 year old man shoots and kills burglar

82 year old man shoots and kills burglar

2. Remove Ads

While the burglar never entered the house, the police chief claimed it was within his right of "castle doctrine."

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Doesn't look, no view of what or who he is shooting, heard a knock on the door, and shoots through the door? That isn't a good shoot IMO. Could have been a neighbor telling him there was a fire, could have been any number of innocent reasons to knock on the door. The police are being forgiving because it was someone they think is a bad guy, but it doesn't seem right to me.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I think there is a difference between the sound of "trying to get in" and "trying to get your attention".

"Chitwood said the intruder was wearing a stocking ski mask and gloves, and had a hammer, screwdriver and flashlight. The side door showed evidence of being pried."

Sounds like more than an innocent knock, and sounds like he was attempting to open the door. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The money quote though.

"Police Chief Mike Chitwood wouldn't disagree, telling a television news crew at the scene the senior did something law enforcement hasn't been able to do, put a suspected burglar out of business."
    ep1953 and bps3040 like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    While the burglar never entered the house, the police chief claimed it was within his right of "castle doctrine."
    Mr. Burglar had pried open the door to the enclosed porch and was in the porch prying open the exterior door to the residence.

776.013Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—

(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
    (a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
    (b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
    (2) The presumption set forth in subsection (1) does not apply if:
    (a) The person against whom the defensive force is used has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the dwelling, residence, or vehicle, such as an owner, lessee, or titleholder, and there is not an injunction for protection from domestic violence or a written pretrial supervision order of no contact against that person; or
    (b) The person or persons sought to be removed is a child or grandchild, or is otherwise in the lawful custody or under the lawful guardianship of, the person against whom the defensive force is used; or
    (c) The person who uses defensive force is engaged in an unlawful activity or is using the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle to further an unlawful activity; or
    (d) The person against whom the defensive force is used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who enters or attempts to enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person entering or attempting to enter was a law enforcement officer.
    (3) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
    (4) A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter a person’s dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.
    (5) As used in this section, the term:
    (a) “Dwelling” means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night.
    (b) “Residence” means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or permanently or is visiting as an invited guest.
    (c) “Vehicle” means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property.
    History.—s. 1, ch. 2005-27.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Thanks for the explanation. He was clearly in the process of entering the home.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I stand corrected, he was definitely in the process of entering the house. The guy had a mask and tools. The shooter never saw any of that though, was going by sound.

He may have been within the law to shoot but I'm still not comfortable with the idea of shooting an unseen villen through a door that hasn't been breeched yet, but that could just be me.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

As a part of the CCW class that I took, the instructor had one of his pro-gun attorneys present some of the material. When he was explaining how the "Make My Day Law" worked (don't use the term castle doctrine here) he gave a good example. A man was home when he heard a window break in the kitchen. Got his weapon and shot the guy. Ruling was that the BG's arm had entered the home, so it was a legal shot. But the attorney pointed out that you would really be living on the edge to rely upon that argument. Much easier to defend the shoot if the BG actually has his feet in the house.

If this is the same Police Chief Chitwood who used to be Police Chief in Portland, Maine then I'm glad to see he's still out there telling it like it is. He was a hard edged cop in Maine when I lived there....and it was a sad day when he left the state for another postion out of state. It could be a different guy but it's not like his name is John Smith.

And congrats to the old guy. But I might not have shot thru the door quite that way. Glad it turned out he was right.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

sgb
    One needs to know and abide by the laws of their State, in this case the home owner did so.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Good on the old man. One low-life is worm food.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

I believe it is. Chitwood is a no-nonsense police chief and has done a good job cleaning up the streets of Daytona. This city was littered with meth heads and prostitutes. Still ain't Plano but it's getting better.

From the article:

"I did what I had to do," Charles A. Robbins said of the 6 a.m. shooting. "It was something that needed to be done."

Another way of saying, "He needed killing"!

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    "heard a knock on the door"
    I re-read the article and saw no mention of the word "knock".
    Last edited by dtox; January 13th, 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: grammar
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Glad the home owner is safe...another dirtbag who is a dead offender instead of a repeat offender.
    zacii, sgb and Sig 210 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links