Pucker factor! 18 Y/O IN driver shoots at presumed LEO imposter during traffic stop.

This is a discussion on Pucker factor! 18 Y/O IN driver shoots at presumed LEO imposter during traffic stop. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dyer man shoots at suspected police impostor 18 year old driver. "LEO" had professional lighting package on SUV. Very poorly written article makes it ambiguous ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pucker factor! 18 Y/O IN driver shoots at presumed LEO imposter during traffic stop.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Pucker factor! 18 Y/O IN driver shoots at presumed LEO imposter during traffic stop.

Dyer man shoots at suspected police impostor

18 year old driver. "LEO" had professional lighting package on SUV. Very poorly written article makes it ambiguous whether the "LEO" or the driver drew first. Driver NOT arrested, "LEO" got away.

I wonder if some kid 'borrowed' his Dad's cop car and badge for some late night fun.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Woah. Scary. Would like some more details on how the victim determined he should draw and fire his weapon.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

I guess the asking for the wallet instead of the ID in it was the first red flag.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    Woah. Scary. Would like some more details on how the victim determined he should draw and fire his weapon.
    I'm guessing this part of the story addresses that: He said it appears the supposed officer had knowledge of police procedures. But state law requires that officers making traffic stops must either be uniformed or driving a fully marked vehicle.

Still.. That would be a tough call to make. We've talked about things like that before. So I guess if an "unmarked" car tries to pull me over, I'll just call 911 and ask for instructions.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    I wish the story had more detail. I'm glad it worked out for the boy, but was he not breaking Indiana law being in possession of
    a handgun @ 18?

It is unclear if the real BG was done with the kid or not, but if losing his wallet was all that was going to happen, given both the ambiguity of the "LE" as real or not, and the legitimacy of the 18 y.o. having a gun, it might have been smarter to ride the situation out--- but then I wasn't there. It could have been the prelude to a kidnapping or murder.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I wish the story had more detail. I'm glad it worked out for the boy, but was he not breaking Indiana law being in possession of
    a handgun @ 18?

It is unclear if the real BG was done with the kid or not, but if losing his wallet was all that was going to happen, given both the ambiguity of the "LE" as real or not, and the legitimacy of the 18 y.o. having a gun, it might have been smarter to ride the situation out--- but then I wasn't there. It could have been the prelude to a kidnapping or murder.
    Hopyard - it appears that the State of Indiana allows pistol ownership at 18. So, while an 18 year old can't purchase from a FFL (federal law states 21 for pistols) they could purchase a pistol from a private owner or be given one by parents. They are also able to apply for and hold a CHL upon their 18th birthday.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

sgb
    Not sure about Indiana but it's 100% legal for an 18 yr old to have a loaded handgun in their vehicle in Florida.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Hopyard - it appears that the State of Indiana allows pistol ownership at 18. So, while an 18 year old can't purchase from a FFL (federal law states 21 for pistols) they could purchase a pistol from a private owner or be given one by parents. They are also able to apply for and hold a CHL upon their 18th birthday.
    This is correct. My wife's cousin has been carrying since he was 18.

I agree with above....if somebody has your wallet and they claim they are a LEO.....would I shoot at them if I questioned it? No. I'd drive away at the very most. If I killed they guy and he was LE...I'd be screwed. If I killed the guy and he was an imposter I still might have a world of hurt on me. I ready to protect my life and family....but I've had plenty of wallets over the years.
    JerryMac likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

In this case all these questions are moot. Turns out the shooter made up the whole story. He is now under the possiblity of several charges. From false informing to dischageing a firearm in the city.

Link?

I'm glad the victim had the SA to see BOGUS and defend himself! hope they find the dirtbag.

Yikes, that took some guts...glad the driver is unscathed.
    Someone posing as a cop should get lots of 'vacation' time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by owgem View Post
    In this case all these questions are moot. Turns out the shooter made up the whole story. He is now under the possiblity of several charges. From false informing to dischageing a firearm in the city.
    Yes, more info please. I love a good twist on things.....

Man makes up story about shooting at fake Cop

Man makes up story about shooting at fake Cop - Glock Talk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links