Update NYC carry

Update NYC carry

This is a discussion on Update NYC carry within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tides are changing. A Tea Party activist busted at La Guardia Airport trying to place his California-licensed handgun into checked baggage got off with a ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By HKinNY

Thread: Update NYC carry

Update NYC carry

Tides are changing.

A Tea Party activist busted at La Guardia Airport trying to place his California-licensed handgun into checked baggage got off with a disorderly-conduct charge yesterday.

Mark Meckler’s no-jail deal comes as city district attorneys are grappling with a growing number of otherwise law-abiding gun owners who accidentally run afoul of New York’s strict gun-control regulations.

“Apparently, this happens to hundreds of people per year in New York City,” Meckler, co-founder of the influential Tea Party Patriots, fumed on his Web site after court today.

Similar recent high-profile arrests have sparked calls in the Legislature and by The Post to re-examine New York’s tough 2006 gun law, which critics say fails to properly account for criminal intent.

On Dec. 15, a Detroit-bound Meckler had alerted La Guardia security that he had an unloaded 9mm Glock in a locked box and wanted to include it with his checked luggage.

Instead, he was charged with felony criminal possession of a weapon and faced a mandatory 3 1/2 to 15 years in prison.

“Until you have felt the handcuffs on your wrists and until you have heard that cell door close behind you, it is impossible to understand what it means to actually lose your liberty,” Meckler, who declined to comment outside court, wrote on his blog yesterday.

By pleading to disorderly conduct, he was hit with a $250 fine in Queens Criminal Court. His Glock 27 was not returned.

“My attorney advised me that I can attempt to pursue the return of my firearm but that to do so would cost me more than the firearm is worth,” Meckler, 49, wrote.

“I understand the problem of gun violence, but there has to be a better way to solve this,” said Meckler’s lawyer, Brian Stapleton. “Arresting law-abiding citizens for declaring a licensed firearm is anti-Second Amendment.”

Meanwhile, Meredith Graves, a tourist arrested after trying to check her Tennessee-permitted pistol at the 9/11 Memorial last month, is negotiating a possible no-jail plea, sources said.

Read more: Tea Party activist pleas to violation on airport gun charge - NYPOST.com

Maybe he should have dropped the $14.00 for this Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Everybody knows that NYC is a worthless place to begin with, heck they can't even make a decent picante sauce.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    gottabkiddin and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Made me chuckle right there....

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

People this is not the thread to bash NY . That was a few post ago. So please stay on topic or go Thank you.

So one guy got a reduced charge and the other tourist is working on one, so the tide is turning... Really? I don't think so... When you see the laws being changed in favor of the law abiding armed public then let me know and we'll discuss it. All I see is one guy with a lot more clout getting a break. Let's wait and see how the female tourist fairs before we start touting a victory over a policed state shall we.

Whats to discuss?

Wait until Bloomberg is out of office and his Million mayor campain ends.
    WHEC724 likes this.

You have my support there. I feel for ya in putting up with that clown; it can't be easy having and living with most of the restrictions he's so proud of. Just realized where yo hail from. I see where you are coming from, sorry for the attitude.

Piss on new york, how is it that they keep getting away with violating law abiding citizens rights ?. If the gun was locked in a box and being checked with his other baggage and he has a permit on top of that, then what was the guy doing wrong ?, not a damn thing as far as I can see. All of the people that have been screwed over by new yorks rediculous gun laws should all get together and file a class action lawsuit against new york for violating peoples second amendment rights.

Links