Gunman Kills 3 in NC Lumber Yard Shooting....

This is a discussion on Gunman Kills 3 in NC Lumber Yard Shooting.... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 3 killed at NC lumber company; gunman hurt - Yahoo! News These shootings with multiple victims are getting to be of epidemic proportions through out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Gunman Kills 3 in NC Lumber Yard Shooting....

Thumbs down Gunman Kills 3 in NC Lumber Yard Shooting....

3 killed at NC lumber company; gunman hurt - Yahoo! News

These shootings with multiple victims are getting to be of epidemic proportions through out the country.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

The safety of living in a good neighborhood.

I think the incidents are just more readily distributed to the public thanks to the internet.

A lot like the apparent increase in environmental disasters such as tsunamis and earthquakes. They have always been occurring with similar frequency, itís just that 50 years ago the only news people received about then incidents was a half page write up in some news paper 3 months after it occurred.

These stories do reaffirm my commitment to stay armed at ALL times though.

VIP Member
    Sad and tragic for the families and community, it rather dispels the "It could never happen here." mentality. I bet company policy prohibits this kind of stuff.
    tkruf likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Sad and tragic for the families and community, it rather dispels the "It could never happen here." mentality. I bet company policy prohibits this kind of stuff.
    How can this happen here? We have a No Guns sigh on the door.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Sad for the victims families. Silent prayer sent up wards.

The thing about the "no guns at work" policy.

The company would rather have something like this happen, than for one of their employees to use a firearm in SD, while on the clock,thus keeping them out of the so-called liability aspect of the whole matter.
    Personally, I think this makes them look more guilty/liable, both criminally, and civilly, for not keeping their place of business safe for its employees.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I don't know if the lumber yard was posted "no guns", but if it was, I'd sue them in civil court for depriving me of my right to defend myself, and they not having armed security to perform that service. Might not go anywhere, but it would get the message across!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

There are a lot more of these multiple shootings lately.
    Why don't the dirtbags just plug themselves and save society a lot of time and money.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I read about it online and it said he used a shotgun.

However when our local news ran the story, there was a big ol' pic of a handgun in the background. IMO, that is deceptive and does not help support public opinion.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Bless them lord.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    The thing about the "no guns at work" policy. The company would rather have something like this happen, than for one of their employees to use a firearm in SD, while on the clock,thus keeping them out of the so-called liability aspect of the whole matter.
    Personally, I think this makes them look more guilty/liable, both criminally, and civilly, for not keeping their place of business safe for its employees.
    +1 The answer to the liability issue is simple: make their no weapons policy a greater liability.

WRT the shooting, the articles I have seen say that this was planned revenge against specific targets, though they don't say what the revenge was about. It wasn't a random or mass shooting.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I read about it online and it said he used a shotgun.

However when our local news ran the story, there was a big ol' pic of a handgun in the background. IMO, that is deceptive and does not help support public opinion.
    That is quite common since most so-called news media consider handguns the epitome of evil, I have even seen “news” stories where someone was killed with a knife and yet they had a picture of a handgun in the background.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

"Owens said it took 30 minutes from the time law enforcement received a 911 call about the shootings to when they found Davis' body. People in the community helped identified the shooter."

Who cares how long it took to get to the BG! How about how long it took to get to the people who really needed the help? I am not cop bashing here but they can only do so much. Hard to stop a guy with a shotgun when there are only 2X4s laying around. Now if there might have been someone packing heat, it have been a different story.

This was an Active Shooter, distinguishable from a Criminal Entrepreneur business activity, incident because he wanted to make a statement about the institution involved and specific individuals in it. If he was just a common Bad Guy, the shotgun would have been used to facilitate getting the money (or sexual gratification) and then leaving.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That is quite common since most so-called news media consider handguns the epitome of evil, I have even seen “news” stories where someone was killed with a knife and yet they had a picture of a handgun in the background.
    Wow that really annoys me. I would call the station and complain if I saw that.

I considered calling just seeing the handgun, but was afraid it would do more harm than good.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links