Man shot with own gun

This is a discussion on Man shot with own gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Officers reported that after stopping to offer assistance, Loudin was approached by two men from the vehicle, who allegedly demanded his car keys and money ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Man shot with own gun

Man shot with own gun

Officers reported that after stopping to offer assistance, Loudin was approached by two men from the vehicle, who allegedly demanded his car keys and money as they came at him with what deputies described as some type of club.

According to officers, Loudin pulled a handgun to protect himself. During the struggle, the gun discharged and Loudin was reportedly shot in the shoulder.
    Upshur man shot on his way to work - TheInterMountain.com | News, Sports, Jobs, WV, Community Information - The Inter-Mountain

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    Let me guess ............. another genius with no training and the belief that the mere sight of his smokepole would send the desperadoes fleeing.
    Guest1, WHEC724 and afojc like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'd love to learn more about those and other details. I do wonder if it was a situation where he was mentally prepared to draw but not to shoot. On the other hand, sometimes people need help, and it's impossible to always be careful enough that you aren't vulnerable to being rushed. For some context, there are some very lonely roads in these parts, cell phones don't always work, etc. But that said, I don't think it would occur to me to stop unless someone were actively waving me down, which the article doesn't mention. This incident makes me think about how I'd handle myself if I did.

You have to remember that many cops are shot with their own weapons. How did the BG get that gun? Well, you have to close the distance to arrest and when the physical altercation begins (at handcuffing or unexpected attack), well, then all bets are off and it comes down to weapon retention and your ability to fight.

Some of my questions were, "Was he grabbed from behind before he could draw? Were they right up on him grabbing him before he could draw? Did he hesitate to pull the trigger? (Citizens in Texas do not have to issue a warning before shooting someone if they are justified in using deadly force but people seem to think they must)

All of those things come into play.

That said, if someone with a weapon of any sort demands your keys and wallet (or if you are outnumbered), give them up and let them get distracted (fumble and drop the keys or some such), then get some distance if possible and draw and shoot. Just because they have what they want does not make them less of a threat. If you have to try to draw during a physical fight, just pull and shove straight forward while firing, remembering that a semi auto may jam if the slide is caught on clothing slowing a second shot.

Anyone who has read any of my previous responses on posts will see that I am the biggest proponent of using deception, distraction and or subterfuge in gaining the upper hand in any self defense situation. In EVERY situation where you are being assaulted or robbed, unless they just knock you out, break you beyond response or kill you outright, there WILL be that moment when they have to divide their attention between you and their goal (your car, wallet, money, etc), and THAT is the moment you have to train for and respond to as fast as you can with decisive deadly action.
    gunthorp likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

I like the way sgb thinks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Let me guess ............. another genius with no training and the belief that the mere sight of his smokepole would send the desperadoes fleeing.
    afojc likes this.

VIP Member
    Sorry, but at 4:30 in the morning, the only thing a car on the side of the road is going to get from me is a 911 call as I drive on by.
    Ishmael and RETSUPT99 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Sorry, but at 4:30 in the morning, the only thing a car on the side of the road is going to get from me is a 911 call as I drive on by.
    This. Daughter and I had this exact conversation last night. Sad to say but you can't blindly take the risk anymore. 50 years ago it might have been different but not now.
    claude clay, WHEC724 and Ishmael like this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Being a good Samaritan these days will likely get you into just exactly what happend to this man or worse. As hard hearted as it sounds, I have ceased to stop and assist someone because of the likelyhood of being attacked.

If you are compelled to stop, don't get out of your car and approach someone, they very likely can be baiting you for a robbery or carjacking. If they need assistance, use a cell phone to call for help. In places where no cell signal may be available, get their description and perhaps the make model and license number of the vehicle and go to a nearby place of business to report it.

This guy is lucky he was only wounded.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

two guys at that time are on there own or a ph call but a woman I will always stop. there is no way I leave a woman on the side of the road

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    This is possible. It is also possible that the attackers were already to close when the gentleman attempted to pull his weapon. Guns are worthless if you do not have the room to bring them into play.

I too am curious as to which possible scenario happened. By the time he realized that he was in danger did he have the necessary room to bring his weapon into play? Hard to use a firearm when your attacker is close enough to grab it.

Or, as others seem to believe did he just expect the bad guys to run away at the sight of it?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Or, as others seem to believe did he just expect the bad guys to run away at the sight of it?
    Statistically speaking, I still believe more crooks will run from the sight of a gun in their face than those who won't. And should I ever pull my gun my first hope is that they will be melting the rubber on their shoes from running so fast. But I am also not naive enough to think that all of them will respond that way. I have gone over the scenario in my mind many times. Once the gun is pulled, they get less than a second to turn and start running. If it even appears that they might be closing the gap between us, the trigger gets pulled. That is the choice the bad guy made, not me. If they continue to approach then they have limited my choices to one.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This is possible. It is also possible that the attackers were already to close when the gentleman attempted to pull his weapon. Guns are worthless if you do not have the room to bring them into play.

True, but even this is addressed by proper training. A trained individual would reflexively create distance before drawing. I suspect that sgb is correct and that victim thought the mere presence of his talisman would ward off evil. There are members of this forum who still believe that the bad guys will drop and run at the sight of a boom stick.

I'm not stopping at 4:30am. If it appears they need help, I'll call as I keep going. If not.. then I just keep going. If I have no cell signal, I just keep going and I'll call when I do have signal.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    True, but even this is addressed by proper training. A trained individual would reflexively create distance before drawing. I suspect that sgb is correct and that victim thought the mere presence of his talisman would ward off evil. There are members of this forum who still believe that the bad guys will drop and run at the sight of a boom stick.
    Not always. Last year in my hometown a couple of punks were going to rob this older man who happend to be kind of in the wrong neighborhood. They approached him, he raised his jacket to show his concealed handgun and they bolted for safer ground. He also had a carry permit and never got any charges for "brandishing." The almost victim said one of the "guy's turning his life around" had a large military knife. That is the story and he stuck to it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Not always. Last year in my hometown a couple of punks were going to rob this older man who happend to be kind of in the wrong neighborhood. They approached him, he raised his jacket to show his concealed handgun and they bolted for safer ground. He also had a carry permit and never got any charges for "brandishing." The almost victim said one of the "guy's turning his life around" had a large military knife. That is the story and he stuck to it.
    In many States, mine included, brandishing for the purpose of self-defense is not a crime.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links