NYPD, Feds Testing Gun-Scanning Technology, But Civil Liberties Groups Up In Arms

This is a discussion on NYPD, Feds Testing Gun-Scanning Technology, But Civil Liberties Groups Up In Arms within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by mlr1m I believe they ruled it to be a search and therefore required a search warrant. The standards for searching a person ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 36 of 36
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: NYPD, Feds testing Gun-Scanning Technology, But Civil Liberties Groups Up In Arms

  1. #31
    Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Metro DC
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I believe they ruled it to be a search and therefore required a search warrant. The standards for searching a person or a vehicle are less than those required for searching a home or building.

    Michael
    It would seem to me that the issue would still seem to be that in a CCW state (like Virginia) the mere presence of a concealed firearm on a person does not, in and of itself, mean criminal activity is afoot.

    Now in order to search a vehicle doesn't an officer have to be able to articulate that there is some reasonable suspicion to believe some criminal activity is afoot? A cop can't just search your car because he pulled you over. If that were the case then they would never have to ask for consent.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    It would seem to me that the issue would still seem to be that in a CCW state (like Virginia) the mere presence of a concealed firearm on a person does not, in and of itself, mean criminal activity is afoot.
    My sentiments exactly. The idea that doing something perfectly legal is reason to be stopped is scary. There should have to be other reasons for a stop if you ask me. Otherwise everyone is open to being detained for what they "might do".

    Michael

  4. #33
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,036
    Quote Originally Posted by mrz333 View Post
    Head to NYC's East NY section, put on a uniform and sit in a patrol car at 2AM. Without restrictive carry laws NYC would not be just a jungle it would be a killing zone and LEOs would be high on the target list like back in the '70s. The NYPD is doing a great job in keeping the city just this side of sanity and, at he same time, out of the crosshairs of terrorists. It's a task unlike any in the world where a journey to the badlands is as simple as crossing a street. I would be for anything tech-wise that would help the BLUEs and all inner city LEOs to stay even an inch ahead of the BGs. This device doesn't mean the city has to turn into the largest peep show in the world.
    Really? So what you're saying is, criminals who already carry (without a permit), who already have demonstrated they cannot follow the law and may already have a record of violence, are less of a danger than a law-abiding citizen with a firearm? The other part of your strawman agrument--most folks aren't out at 2AM...some are actually assaulted/robbed/killed during daylight/business hours.

    I see this is your first post...from Florida. I'm guessing you're not really from Florida...

    Stick around and do some reading...after a while, you'll come back and read this and say to yourself "what was I thinking?"

    Welcome!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,803
    Quote Originally Posted by mrz333 View Post
    Head to NYC's East NY section, put on a uniform and sit in a patrol car at 2AM. Without restrictive carry laws NYC would not be just a jungle it would be a killing zone and LEOs would be high on the target list like back in the '70s. The NYPD is doing a great job in keeping the city just this side of sanity and, at he same time, out of the crosshairs of terrorists. It's a task unlike any in the world where a journey to the badlands is as simple as crossing a street. I would be for anything tech-wise that would help the BLUEs and all inner city LEOs to stay even an inch ahead of the BGs. This device doesn't mean the city has to turn into the largest peep show in the world.
    Hogwash. The reason they have not done another attack on the US including NYC has nothing to do with the restrictive laws and rules in NY. It is because Al Queda has not chosen to do another attack. They have no reason to conduct another attack as of yet. They hurt us economically, damaged our reputation and influence with the world politically, and forced us to change the way we live and how we easily accepted the intrusion on our freedoms and privacy. What more can they ask for. Do you really believe that their next attack will be with a bunch of guys with handguns marching down Manhattan?
    Ya know, even some guys I worked with even think the WMD sensors are a waste of the time. The terrorists know we try to sniff out "suitcase" nukes. Knowing that, they aren't going to place one somewhere and leave it with a timer. They are going to fly it in on a small plane and detonate it or just drive a truck onto Wall Street and blow it up there. And don't think that those new anti-aircraft missiles the NYPD suppose to be getting are going to help.How many times have small aircraft flown into no-fly zones in DC and NY without being shot down? Not once. So you explain to me how this is protecting NY from the cross hairs of terrorism? Bin Laden is laughing it up with his 72 virgins every time we start to trample on our freedom for the sake of safety.

    Unfotunatley our country is forgetting what is the motto for my state "Live Free or Die". Dang we are turning into a bunch of sheep!
    oakchas, mel and msgt/ret like this.

  6. #35
    Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Metro DC
    Posts
    958
    al-Qaeda has tried to conduct several attacks since 9-11, but for various reasons has failed. They are still in the game.

    Because they have to worry about success, so far they seem to have been unable to come up with the complete explosives and detonation scenario that actually works properly in the real world and is capable of passing through security screening. In at least the Times Square event, a lack of competent bomb making capability hasn't been helpful to them.

  7. #36
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    al-Qaeda has tried to conduct several attacks since 9-11, but for various reasons has failed. They are still in the game.

    Because they have to worry about success, so far they seem to have been unable to come up with the complete explosives and detonation scenario that actually works properly in the real world and is capable of passing through security screening. In at least the Times Square event, a lack of competent bomb making capability hasn't been helpful to them.
    The Times Square event was never determined to be an "Al Queda" planned operation. Let me clarify my comment about what I meant about an Al Queda plot. When I say Al Queda attack I will define it as "conceptualized, planned, funded, supported by Al Queda leadership". By extension, a plot or attack against the US that is inspired by Al Queda is not what I would call a planned "Al Queda" attack even if the attacker is trained by the Taliban or Al Queda. Unless that training was specific to a planned attack. That is like saying the Ft. Hood shootings were an Al Queda attack because the shoot had correspondence with Al Queda leadership and he sympathized with the cause.. My point is, even in the Times Square evetn, laws and restrictions did not prevent it. Al Queda, if inclined to nickel and dime us with minor attacks compared to 9/11, would just be testing our security, tactics and procedures.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

government scanning houses for firearms
,

gun scanner dc

,

gun-scanning technology

,
ny terahertz security jan 17
,
nypd gun scan violation privacy
,
nypd imaging thz
,

nypd terahertz

,
nypd terahertz scan
,
nypd terahertz scanner
,
nypd zone 14
,
terahertz gun scan
,
terahertz gun scanner
,
terahertz imaging detector civil rights
,
terrahertz gun scanning
,
washington dc gun scanners
Click on a term to search for related topics.