NYPD, Feds testing Gun-Scanning Technology, But Civil Liberties Groups Up In Arms

NYPD, Feds Testing Gun-Scanning Technology, But Civil Liberties Groups Up In Arms

This is a discussion on NYPD, Feds Testing Gun-Scanning Technology, But Civil Liberties Groups Up In Arms within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NYPD, Feds Testing Gun-Scanning Technology, But Civil Liberties Groups Up In Arms Terahertz Imaging Detection Out To Detect Illegal Concealed Weapons January 17, 2012 8:57 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: NYPD, Feds testing Gun-Scanning Technology, But Civil Liberties Groups Up In Arms

NYPD, Feds testing Gun-Scanning Technology, But Civil Liberties Groups Up In Arms

Terahertz Imaging Detection Out To Detect Illegal Concealed Weapons
    January 17, 2012 8:57 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) –
    The NYPD is stepping up their war against illegal guns, with a new tool that could detect weapons on someone as they walk down the street.

But is it violating your right to privacy?

Police, along with the U.S. Department of Defense, are researching new technology in a scanner placed on police vehicles that can detect concealed weapons.

terahertz-imaging-detection.jpg

I read about this technology being developed a few years ago. I guess it ready for the big show now.
    Lets say I'm walking down the street and a police officer using this device determines that I am armed. Is that a reason for him to detain me or ask about the weapon?

Michael

VIP Member
    Staying 17 feet away from cruisers shouldn't be a poser.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I read about this technology being developed a few years ago. I guess it ready for the big show now.
    Lets say I'm walking down the street and a police officer using this device determines that I am armed. Is that a reason for him to detain me or ask about the weapon?

Michael
    Yes.

mel
    Well, just another reason to stay out of NY, and furthermore NYC. Technology is going to make the world safe. Yeah, well everytime someone comes up with a better mouse trap, the mouse figures a way around it.

Originally Posted by mlr1m

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Yes.
    If this happened in a free State where gun ownership is legal wouldn't they need a reason other than the fact that a person is legally armed to stop them?

Michael

This shows they don't want safety...they want control. They are operating from a premise that if one has a gun, it is illegal, unless you prove otherwise, civil rights be damned. When do people say "enough!"?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Police Commissioner Kelly
    Police Commissioner Kelly said the scanner would only be used in reasonably suspicious circumstances and could cut down on the number of stop-and-frisks on the street.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Here's the plan - hand out gun shaped objects to everyone, walk around the streets, and keep the cops crazy busy. After a few days/weeks of this, they gotta give it up.
    jrclen likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Simple stay away from New York period same goes for DC. There is nothing up there that I'm interested in anyway.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Administrator
    I'm going to start manufacturing LEAD underpants.

I can't wait til they start frisking off duty cops,and even outing Undercover Cops they jack for a gun.Can't wait til people carrying under HR 218 get rousted for having a concealed gun.
    Bark'n and DocPMD like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Head to NYC's East NY section, put on a uniform and sit in a patrol car at 2AM. Without restrictive carry laws NYC would not be just a jungle it would be a killing zone and LEOs would be high on the target list like back in the '70s. The NYPD is doing a great job in keeping the city just this side of sanity and, at he same time, out of the crosshairs of terrorists. It's a task unlike any in the world where a journey to the badlands is as simple as crossing a street. I would be for anything tech-wise that would help the BLUEs and all inner city LEOs to stay even an inch ahead of the BGs. This device doesn't mean the city has to turn into the largest peep show in the world.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrz333 View Post
    Head to NYC's East NY section, put on a uniform and sit in a patrol car at 2AM. Without restrictive carry laws NYC would not be just a jungle it would be a killing zone and LEOs would be high on the target list like back in the '70s. The NYPD is doing a great job in keeping the city just this side of sanity and, at he same time, out of the crosshairs of terrorists. It's a task unlike any in the world where a journey to the badlands is as simple as crossing a street. I would be for anything tech-wise that would help the BLUEs and all inner city LEOs to stay even an inch ahead of the BGs. This device doesn't mean the city has to turn into the largest peep show in the world.
    They need to do it without infringing on the rights of law abiding citizens. Carry laws do nothing but affect the people that are willing to abide by them in the first place. If someone is willing to shoot a cop for no reason then they are not going to give a dayum about restrictive carry laws, they are going to carry their gun as they please. Yours is the flawed thinking of gun control that is setting back any sort of useful solution that could not harm people obeying the law but be effective against those breaking the law.
    phreddy and Buckj like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Without restrictive carry laws NYC would not be just a jungle it would be a killing zone and LEOs would be high on the target list like back in the '70s.
    Just like it is now in every other city and every other state that does NOT have restrictive carry laws?

I note that they are still not hosing blood off the streets every morning in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Virginia, Wisconsin....

Neither do the street sweepers have to be equipped with cow-catchers to move the piled-up bodies out of the way.

It's a task unlike any in the world where a journey to the badlands is as simple as crossing the street.
    Your world is very, very small, it seems. Large cities all over have 'badlands'. There are areas of some cities, yes, even other than New York City (believe it or not) where even the firemen and police have 'only go in force' or even outright no-go areas to deal with.

New York City is not unique in this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links