Bad, Good, Could Have Been Better, Murder Suspect Survives Swat Shooting

This is a discussion on Bad, Good, Could Have Been Better, Murder Suspect Survives Swat Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police shoot suspect wanted in 2 slayings | The Columbus Dispatch...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cold Shot

Thread: Bad, Good, Could Have Been Better, Murder Suspect Survives Swat Shooting

VIP Member

Good ending, the perp is off the street. I wonder why the girl friend was not charged? I'm sure more info will be coming. Maybe they can skip the pain medicine for a day or two with this guy. Just a thought.

Okay, so I can learn self defensive use of my firearm from this by....

OOOh! Oooh!

I know!

Surrendering to the cops when I'm wanted for 2 murders...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Okay, so I can learn self defensive use of my firearm from this by....

OOOh! Oooh!

I know!

Surrendering to the cops when I'm wanted for 2 murders...
    I was hoping for some input on what the cops might have learned.

I would say it's neither good nor bad - just business. That's what men do; they take care of business. Police obviously have to get violent criminals off the street, and the guy was probably a menace. However, to be a criminal, one has to be tried in a court of law and is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. So an argument could be made that government officials with assault rifles shooting an innocent man is undoubtedly bad.

The event was just a byproduct of a tough line of work. It is what it is. I don't know what point you were trying to reach with the OP, but I was just responding to the thread title.
    SIXTO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I was hoping for some input on what the cops might have learned.
    Then you might have posted it in: Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion.

I wonder what they did learn though, the car was blocked in... he drove it into another police car... he wasn't going anywhere... so why open fire with multiple weapons? The LEOs probably could have just waited him out, and they're lucky no one got hit by friendly fire.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Then you might have posted it in: Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion.

I wonder what they did learn though, the car was blocked in... he drove it into another police car... he wasn't going anywhere... so why open fire with multiple weapons? The LEOs probably could have just waited him out, and they're lucky no one got hit by friendly fire.
    Good question. Did they ask them selves if it was the right thing, or get right to convincing themselves it was the right thing?

It's tough decision. Been a tough year for cops, but then every year is. We had an unarmed drunk guy sitting on a patio shot multiple times, we had innocent folks shot in their houses, we had cops shot by hooligans, we had cops ambushed, and now we have a SWAT team surrounding a car that's blocked in shooting multiple times when the car lurched into the blocking cop car. Nobody saw a gun, no mention of one. It's not clear the officers were in danger.

I think you had to be there because from the description it doesn't sound like the right response, but it may have been.

I get the definite impression from reading incidents on this forum that the SWAT mind set is to shoot at the first excuse and explain it later. But I could be wrong about that.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member

No, I posted it where it goes, but I guess I should be more clear--how do four SWAT officers open up on an armed felon at point blank range, and not kill him?

VIP Member
    Wadsworth underwent surgery at Grant Medical Center and was expected to survive, according to Sgt. Rich Weiner, spokesman for the Police Division.

^^^^^^The most depressing sentence in the story^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I only see one problem...the word, 'survived'...OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    No, I posted it where it goes, but I guess I should be more clear--how do four SWAT officers open up on an armed felon at point blank range, and not kill him?
    Simple; Their intent was not to kill him. Death is just a byproduct of making an arrest sometimes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Simple; Their intent was not to kill him. Death is just a byproduct of making an arrest sometimes.
    Hmmm, from what I've read about what happens to a person in a vehicle that gets shot at (bad place to be!), I think it was chance, not intent. They had essentially zero control over what the bullets did after they passed through vehicle material - they could have been going any direction and been pretty badly messed up by glass, sheet metal, frameing, <whatever>.

IMO the perp was just lucky.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Hmmm, from what I've read about what happens to a person in a vehicle that gets shot at (bad place to be!), I think it was chance, not intent. They had essentially zero control over what the bullets did after they passed through vehicle material - they could have been going any direction and been pretty badly messed up by glass, sheet metal, frameing, <whatever>.

IMO the perp was just lucky.

Fitch
    Agreed, it just depends how it went down. The devil is in the details. But my point was, their intent was not to kill. It was to stop a threat and make an arrest. Mission accomplished.

And since it came up... No, the news section is not where this belongs. It's reserved for civilian self defense stories. It doesn't really belong in the LE section either though, as this is not a LE issue- its just a story about what happened during an arrest.... If we want to get all nit picky about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links