Good: Robber Waffle House shot dead by CCW permit holder. - Page 5

Good: Robber Waffle House shot dead by CCW permit holder.

This is a discussion on Good: Robber Waffle House shot dead by CCW permit holder. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Redline I don't know if the family of the deceased has filed suit yet but IT WILL HAPPEN. A good friend of ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Good: Robber Waffle House shot dead by CCW permit holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    I don't know if the family of the deceased has filed suit yet but IT WILL HAPPEN. A good friend of mine shot a guy (police determined it was a good shoot) who was trying to rob him in a parking lot. He has been tied up in court for the past 5 years and the cost to him alone has been $150,000. Of course the scumbags family has a "contingency" lawyer waging the fight!!
    Thank goodness in my state you are immune from civil laws suits if it's ruled justifiable.
    tkruf likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    He was that day. The one day in his life where it mattered most.

Would I be wrong if in his position I had fired first and not given up my advantage of surprise to the robbers? The only reason I could see to announce myself would be if I had a duty to protect the lives of the robbers. If you believe your life is being threatened why would you do anything that helps your attackers?

Michael
    Who here REALLY wants to kill someone? I know I don't. I feel that I am willing to take the life of a person threatening mine, but I don't WANT to. I will take whatever steps I feel necessary to avoid killing.

One of the replies from the story in the link.

I do not understand this logic. If he was not threatened with lethal force why did he feel justified in producing his weapon? If he was threatened why even attempt to make an arrest or hold them?
    In my opinion he increased the danger to everyone present.

Michael
    "Alter Ego"- in SC you are 'allowed' to use lethal force on the behalf of someone else whose life is in danger and unable to defend themselves. As I see it, he really just made sure he had a clean shoot- I'm sure that the BG's legal representation would have made a huge fuss over his life not being in immediate danger. Doing things as he did, he ensured that HIS life was in danger, not someone else's.
    -------------------------------------------

I'm sorry to hear that someone had to die over something like this. Especially a kid who had no criminal record until this incident.

Also, I know the man that got shot WAS in the wrong, had made a REALLY bad decision, and clearly wasn't a very good citizen. But, can we please show just a little decency, and respect for the loss of a human life?
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Thank goodness in my state you are immune from civil laws suits if it's ruled justifiable.
    Same in SC.

We do have some issues that need fixing in our state's alws, but I would say we have it right in regards to Castle Doctrine/ self defense and criminal and civil liability. We also have mostly good LEO's and judges too.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I am saddened that another young person thought that "thug life" was the way to go, and lost his life in the process. I feel for his family and friends, BUT Dante had a FATAL lapse in judgement. Who knows what he was thinking at the time, but possibly something like: "Hey Jowan, it's my birthday. Let's go rob the Waffle House so that we have some money to party."

I am glad that no innocents were injured, this could have been very ugly indeed.

I do not think the sheriff should have released the name of the CWP holder, just asking for Dante's thug friends to try and exact revenge.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I will take whatever steps I feel necessary to avoid my own needless killing.

I'm sorry to hear that someone had to die over something like this. Especially a kid who up to this point had not been caught and charged with leading a lifestyle stealling and robbing from honest people because of a sense of entitlement and the abililty to prey on the weak. He turned out to be wrong in this case. This was not his first dip into the deep end of being a thug. He didn't just walk out of bible school on Sunday and decide to do this for kicks.

It is terrible that young people choose this life and sometimes pay the ultimate price. It is terrible that good people are victimized by trash like this. I don't truly believe that ANYONE here is celebrating anyone's death, but if anyone deserves to be greived for, it's the victims of people in his line of work. It's a tragedy that our society is turning out people who feel that they must prey on the weak to get respect and survive. There is no human decency to these people. No other way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Who here REALLY wants to kill someone? I know I don't. I feel that I am willing to take the life of a person threatening mine, but I don't WANT to. I will take whatever steps I feel necessary to avoid killing.

"Alter Ego"- in SC you are 'allowed' to use lethal force on the behalf of someone else whose life is in danger and unable to defend themselves. As I see it, he really just made sure he had a clean shoot- I'm sure that the BG's legal representation would have made a huge fuss over his life not being in immediate danger. Doing things as he did, he ensured that HIS life was in danger, not someone else's.
    -------------------------------------------

I'm sorry to hear that someone had to die over something like this. Especially a kid who had no criminal record until this incident.

Also, I know the man that got shot WAS in the wrong, had made a REALLY bad decision, and clearly wasn't a very good citizen. But, can we please show just a little decency, and respect for the loss of a human life?
    First: I hope that no one here looks forward to taking a life. But, should you have to increase the danger to yourself or to others in an attempt not to kill the person trying to harm you?
    I agree that his actions insured that his life and the lives of others were in danger with his actions. I also believe that if that is what the law requires then the laws need to be changed.

Second: In my opinion his life was in danger just as soon as the robbery began. If the laws say that he has to go out of his way to increase that danger before he can protect himself then they need to be changed or done away with.

Thirdly: It is hard to be politically correct when discussing how to defend ones self by using force. Agree that a person should not show joy about a loss of life but consider that maybe the joy shown is that the good person is still alive and unharmed. Not so much that the bad guy was.

Michael

Administrator
    “The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is you point a gun at him,”

So True...So True.

Free Waffles for the good guy.
    pistola and l1a1 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    "But, can we please show just a little decency, and respect for the loss of a human life?"

Respect is earned or lost depending on the life choices that we make.
    Sometimes a single radically wrong and violent choice will result in an instantanious loss of both respect and life.

That having been said...we shoot to stop the immediate deadly peril. If your life is in real and deadly danger then take your best shot to end the threat and then it's up to the perp as to if he somehow manages to hang on or he gives up his ghost.
    nightsonge likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Looks like there is two threads on this running, so I will post this here also. Here is what one of his facebook friends had to say about people with permits to carry:

ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 23 14.35.jpg

Apparently we are vigilantes now lol.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I do not understand this logic. If he was not threatened with lethal force why did he feel justified in producing his weapon? If he was threatened why even attempt to make an arrest or hold them?
    In my opinion he increased the danger to everyone present.

Michael
    Don't want to draw and shoot him in the back!! pretty hard to prove threatened that way!
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Looks like there is two threads on this running, so I will post this here also. Here is what one of his facebook friends had to say about people with permits to carry:

ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 23 14.35.jpg

Apparently we are vigilantes now lol.
    Show a little compassion. This budding entrepeneur was just trying to earn an honest living trying to earn money for college.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieny View Post
    Don't want to draw and shoot him in the back!! pretty hard to prove threatened that way!
    If you don't feel threatened then why pay any attention to him at all? Ignore him and eat your waffles.

Michael
    l1a1 likes this.

Show a little compassion. This budding entrepeneur was just trying to earn an honest living trying to earn money for college.
    Exactly: Dante was going to turn his life around, go to college and become an internationally known nuclear physicist soon as he robbed folks at Waffle House.

During a news conference Saturday night, Wright said even after the masked men entered the restaurant, the concealed weapons holder waited until the robbers began ordering customers to the floor and employees into the back - while waving a gun - to act.
    Dante became worm food on his birthday-a fitting end for a gun armed robber.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    He was that day. The one day in his life where it mattered most.

Would I be wrong if in his position I had fired first and not given up my advantage of surprise to the robbers? The only reason I could see to announce myself would be if I had a duty to protect the lives of the robbers. If you believe your life is being threatened why would you do anything that helps your attackers?

Michael
    Hieny said it pretty well- you don't want to shoot him in the back. While the Alter Ego clause of SC's self defense law would make it a clean shoot in this case, it would make your defense a little more difficult for the masses to understand.

First: I hope that no one here looks forward to taking a life. But, should you have to increase the danger to yourself or to others in an attempt not to kill the person trying to harm you?
    I agree that his actions insured that his life and the lives of others were in danger with his actions. I also believe that if that is what the law requires then the laws need to be changed.

Second: In my opinion his life was in danger just as soon as the robbery began. If the laws say that he has to go out of his way to increase that danger before he can protect himself then they need to be changed or done away with.

Thirdly: It is hard to be politically correct when discussing how to defend ones self by using force. Agree that a person should not show joy about a loss of life but consider that maybe the joy shown is that the good person is still alive and unharmed. Not so much that the bad guy was.

Michael
    Is it difficult to be politically correct in these circumstances, but it is not impossible. I don't care about being politically correct. I just don't like to see people here- members of the DC community, and fellow CCers (who get offended when another CCer acts inappropriately in public and makes us look bad as a community)- make jokes about a person dying. If it were a hated character in a book, or in a movie, or on TV, I wouldn't care less, and probably join in. But, like we're talking on here and taking screen-shots of his friend's Facebook pages where they're talking badly about CCers as a whole, how can you know that they're not doing the same thing elsewhere on the internet? They could be taking people's jibes about their friend, or family member dying and putting them up for others to read and be offended by.

Can we please just think for a moment about how we would feel if it were a member of one of our families who made this mistake (or one similar) and ended up being shot? You would still love your family member, and be upset that they had been killed, whether it was a clean shoot or not. While I like to think that were one of us in his family's place we would be more level-headed about it, I don't see that happening any more than it is with his family. -If it were YOUR son, would you not be pissed at people sitting in a chair in front of their computer at home happy and safe making jokes about it?

I am very happy that the man who defended himself, and the people in the restaurant with him, is safe and alive. I just regret that another person had to die to make sure he and the other innocents were safe.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "But, can we please show just a little decency, and respect for the loss of a human life?"

Respect is earned or lost depending on the life choices that we make.
    Sometimes a single radically wrong and violent choice will result in an instantanious loss of both respect and life.

That having been said...we shoot to stop the immediate deadly peril. If your life is in real and deadly danger then take your best shot to end the threat and then it's up to the perp as to if he somehow manages to hang on or he gives up his ghost.
    I believe what I said was taken slightly out of the context that I meant it; I'm sorry. I really just meant that a few of the earlier posts gave me the impression that some of our members were taking this very lightly, and as slightly humorous. If I mis-read their meaning, I apologize; I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

It does sometimes seem that even though someone is the 'Bad Guy', we here forget that they are someone's son, father, brother, husband, wife, mother, or whatever the case may be. Even though they may have made a huge mistake, and lose any right to respect as a person, they are still human beings. -That is my reasoning behind what I said. I have no respect for the boy who died as a member of society- but he was still a human being.

By all means, do whatever is necessary to defend yourself, and keep yourself alive- I like to believe that I would, and I expect no different from anyone else. Just don't forget that these are people that we're defending ourselves against.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    we all carry to protect ourselves, glad everything worked out...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links