wow NY turns on NYPD

This is a discussion on wow NY turns on NYPD within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ran across this and figured i would share. I think its kinda sad, and reenforces the "Avoid NY" statements. Ex-cop fights life sentence in bizarre ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: wow NY turns on NYPD

wow NY turns on NYPD

ran across this and figured i would share. I think its kinda sad, and reenforces the "Avoid NY" statements.

Ex-cop fights life sentence in bizarre murder case - CNN.com
    Last edited by jerp; January 23rd, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

That just goes to show ya ------- don't live in NY!!
    hogdaddy likes this.

DC
    That's seriously screwed up.

":Bellantoni says he firmly believes this reversal was a major miscarriage of justice."- gee ya think

Even a sworn off duty Officer defending his Dad from an attack with a deadly weapon gets shafted by the very system he swore to serve.In Tx they would have given him a medal.
    9MMare, hogdaddy and TVille like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sombody should take a bat to the judge and jury! Might give them a proper perspective.
    Hoganbeg and mook012 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Seems like enough from the outside for a re-trial to me. JMHO
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It seems strange that cops would go after one of there own like that. I understand the idea of filling in missing details by repeated questioning, but at some point it becomes coercion. To pick up someone for questioning everyday like this is obvious harassment. This was a witness who was cooperating all along. This is what I would expect from the mafia, not people sworn to uphold the law. Isn't it against the law to try to influence a potential witness? It sure looks like politics instead of justice. Hopefully he'll win an appeal or re-trial & finally be released. Someone needs to go after public servants who twist the system while using peoples lives as political fodder.

It's not like I would have ever gone to NY anyway, now I won't even look at a travel brochure of the place.
    Never been there, never going...what a 'crock'.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They eat their young there.
    OldVet likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

GM
    This is so wrong! I cannot understand how they could do to him something like that.
    Last edited by GM; January 23rd, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Wow. I'm sure this stuff ONLY happens in NY and NEVER happens any where else
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSAM View Post
    Wow. I'm sure this stuff ONLY happens in NY and NEVER happens any where else
    You're right, illinois. Yep sums it up
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I don't understand the prosecutors' claim that Charles (the dead guy) was using the bat for self-defense.
    It would seem that if Charles had the time and ability to open his trunk and retrieve the bat, he had the time and ability to open his car door and leave.
    Of course, we don't have access to what the jury heard. But on the face of it, I think DiGuglielmo got a very bad deal here.
    And I would bet that NY's open hostility toward firearms played a role. (Unlike evil guns, bats aren't really a deadly threat.)
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

This is one of those cases which leaves you with more questions than answers. Who Say's charges and convictions can't be politically and racially motivated. The witnesses coerced by the local DA for what? I suppose the DA wanted this off duty cop to wait until his Father had half his head caved in prior to shooting the guy! Thats utter BS! The bad guy raised a bat and was stopped before the deed was done! Nobody wants to rock the racial boat, thats why a good guy sits behind bars! If anyone read the entire story it would make you sick! Total injustice...
    hogdaddy and Sig 210 like this.

VIP Member
    This thread runs elsewhere. Anyway, I have lived near there. Been in Dobbs Ferry many times. Been in White Plains many times, and have relatives who live there. I've recently eaten in an Italian restaurant right across from the court house.

The whole episode is full of undertones of racial and ethnic issues, and both sides to the fight seem to have had "attitude."
    This wasn't an instance of 4 "nice" fellows getting into it.

Three on one is called disparity of force and justified the bat. You don't gang up on someone over a stupid parking issue.

The dead guy being a fighter, mitigated his need for the bat too. But he still was faced with 3 on 1 disparity. Mutual combat takes away the SD argument.

Cops don't get indicted in that geographic local. They don't get convicted. They just don't. So something more was going on.

I think Pirro may have overcharged. I think the dead guy was a jerk. I also think he was set upon by 3 guys who thought they were tough guys and were going to "show him" for parking in the wrong place and being a jerk. I find it impossible to believe that at a minimum vile names and words and threats weren't directed at the dead man before the fight.

There is plenty of wrong to go around in this case. There is wrong it seems on prosecutor, police, dead, guy, and the combatants. And on the press.

As far as I know even stand your ground laws don't protect you when you are an initiator of a confrontation and continue that confrontation without serious effort to deescalate.

The men could have retreated to their restaurant (stayed inside to begin with), called the police, and given the plate number. Once they decided to directly challenge him---something they wouldn't have done if they didn't perceive of themselves as "tough guys" backed by a cop and a gun--- they gave up their SD defense.

Notable too is that no one states that the man convicted ever identified himself as a cop. Possibly he was outside of his jurisdiction. (I don't know if NYC cops can carry outside NYC or have any authority outside in NY State.)
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links