Daytona Beach Woman, 64, uses gun to help nab suspect

This is a discussion on Daytona Beach Woman, 64, uses gun to help nab suspect within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; just shows that the criminals fear the armed citizen much more than they fear the cops......... 64-year-old Grandma holds man for Volusia County deputies Published ...

Thread: Daytona Beach Woman, 64, uses gun to help nab suspect

Daytona Beach Woman, 64, uses gun to help nab suspect

just shows that the criminals fear the armed citizen much more than they fear the cops.........

64-year-old Grandma holds man for Volusia County deputies

Published On: Wed Jan 25 09:16:30 CST 2012 Updated On: Wed Jan 25 18:55:28 CST 2012
    DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - A 64-year-old Daytona Beach woman stopped a suspected drug dealer in his tracks -- with the aid of her gun.

Roderick Willis, 22, was arrested Tuesday on charges fleeing a law enforcement officer and possession of a controlled substance.

Volusia County Sheriff's deputies said Willis dumped a stolen rental car in her driveway after leading them on a chase through two cities.

According to deputies, an officer spotted a Dodge Charger traveling about 90 mph and began to follow the vehicle.

Deputies said the vehicle sped away and the driver later pulled into a driveway in the 900 block of Redwood Street.

Karen Granville, a grandmother who lives at the house, said she had grabbed her gun when she heard a police helicopter overhead at 3 a.m. She said she then heard the car pull into the driveway and someone running toward the back of her house, according to deputies.

Granville said she opened her door and saw a man running toward her, so she yelled, "Stop right there (expletive) or you're going to be dead where you stand," according to a deputy report.

"My adrenaline was pumping so fast I kept it up up and up," Granville said.

Granville said she’s never had to use her gun before, but she was prepared to.

“Whatever he did, I figured he shot a cop or something. I didn't know at the time, so I wasn't taking any chances," Granville said.

Instead of hiding, she said she grabbed her gun off her nightstand, went out in her backyard and aimed.

“I said you move and I will shoot you," Granville said. "He said ‘Please, please, please don’t shoot me’ -- he put his hands over his head and I said ‘you moved, I said don’t you move.’"

Granville says she's never seen a criminal so relieved to see deputies rush in.

"I heard somebody running and he says ‘There's the police, there's the police there's the police.’"

Deputies said more than $1,700 dollars was found on Willis and cocaine, marijuana and vodka were found located in the vehicle.

Willis bonded out of jail Wednesday.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

2. Remove Ads

Atta girl, granny! Woot, woot!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...... that's downright funny. She meant business, and he was glad the calvary arrived to save him.
    LMAO.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I saw the article also, and while I am impressed with her spunk, this is not a good example. She intervened in a situation she did not know all of the details of, went outside of her home and drew a weapon on a fleeing individual who did not pose at the time any threat to her. These scenarios have been covered many times here, and the consensus is that you do not pull a gun and butt into a situation in which you are not threatened. What if he had turned towards her or just kept trying to flee? Would she have shot him? If the answer is no, then she had no business drawing a weapon as it violates the second law of gun safety. If yes, then she would be in aworld of trouble from a criminal and certainly a civil liability standpoint.

I understand the emotional appeal of her actions, but not the logical one.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Hope he has no intentions of visiting Granny again now that he's bailed out.........I'd be lookin behind me and lockin' the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I saw the article also, and while I am impressed with her spunk, this is not a good example. She intervened in a situation she did not know all of the details of, went outside of her home and drew a weapon on a fleeing individual who did not pose at the time any threat to her. These scenarios have been covered many times here, and the consensus is that you do not pull a gun and butt into a situation in which you are not threatened. What if he had turned towards her or just kept trying to flee? Would she have shot him? If the answer is no, then she had no business drawing a weapon as it violates the second law of gun safety. If yes, then she would be in aworld of trouble from a criminal and certainly a civil liability standpoint.

I understand the emotional appeal of her actions, but not the logical one.
    You're right on the one hand... on the other, he was on her property, a felon in the night, and had he rushed her and she fired, I think she'd be okay legally. If he continued to flee... she might not have shot and she's be okay there as well... She has some brass, I'll give her that...

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Hope he has no intentions of visiting Granny again now that he's bailed out.........I'd be lookin behind me and lockin' the doors.
    ^^^This^^^ is certainly something I'd be doing... Watch your back granny, the drug trade is a violent one.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Happy it ended ok, but she should not have gone outside. If he tried to enter the house, BANG.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

GM
    That was funny, but I do not think that what she did was very smart at all; IMO it was very foolhardy. And Roderick Willis bonded out of jail Wednesday; cool, is it not?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Bonded out of jail on Wednesday and went back the same day...learned a lot didn't he?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

She was very lucky this ended the way it did. Going outside at night? What if there was more than one armed BG?

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    She was very lucky this ended the way it did. Going outside at night? What if there was more than one armed BG?
    my guess is she would have shot them both. Whether she was smart or not in her actions, you have to admire her style. I find myself running outside like a Turkey when the helicopters are overhead, so I totally understand why she did what she did.....and the dirt bag was on her property. She had a right to do whatever she felt necessary to remove this scum from her yard. Kudos to her, and too bad the guy didn't move.....just one more time.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Links