This is what we are left to do in Chicago and Illinois

This is a discussion on This is what we are left to do in Chicago and Illinois within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman corners robber, tells him 'God didn't want him to steal her wallet' - chicagotribune.com Ridiculous. No concealed carry = more crime. Plain and simple....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: This is what we are left to do in Chicago and Illinois

This is what we are left to do in Chicago and Illinois

Woman corners robber, tells him 'God didn't want him to steal her wallet' - chicagotribune.com

Ridiculous. No concealed carry = more crime. Plain and simple.

2. Remove Ads

Okay 45...

We're dealing with a lady here... Where is she most likely to carry her piece? I know, Lima and the Cornered Cat and several other ladies here on DC probably don't often carry off body, but my best guess is that >70% of women do. (purse carry)

So, he reached in her purse and grabbed her wallet... coulda grabbed her gun instead...

Believe me, I'm all for Illinois getting their natural rights to carry. But this is a poor example of why carry is necessary.

Let's assume she was a knowledgeable carrier, and carried on body. Kid reaches in her purse and runs off... What's she gonna do, back shoot him? Is petty theft or robbery even a felony in Illinois? (some states allow some (not necessarily deadly) force to stop a felony in progress.)

In most states with CC laws, you don't use deadly force in defense of property (Texan's disregard). Kid was not armed. Did not pose a threat (except for disparity of force due to the size difference, but he didn't even use that disparity of force).

Now, being a native Chicagoan myself; having lived Near North, visited Second City for free Improv at 2 in the morning (back in the 70's), and truly enjoyed the culture of the big city, at late/early hours of the day; what this particular case displays is a need for good SA, and proactive defense of personal property and space. A gun would have made little difference in this case... the use of a weapon might have ended badly for the lady in question.

That said, I want Illinois to join the rest of the country in passing concealed carry laws. And, I've heard she could have been carrying under the current law, using the so-called "six second rule" (which may not apply in Chicago).

The six second rule:
    1. FOID card
    2. Unloaded weapon in purse
    3. Mag in second closed container
    4. Insert mag
    5. Bring one cartridge to battery
    6. Fire as necessary.

IINM, this "rule" requires off body carry in a "case" (purse/fannypack/etc.) with the magazine in a separate container (in the main purse/fannypack/etc.) and at least six practiced seconds to deploy. Regardless, she probably would have been in the wrong to resort to it in this case, and it may be totally illegal in the city limits of Chicago. (So I am NOT advocating it)
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Gutsy lady!! maybe not such a good idea, but still gutsy!!

I also liked the idea that rather than standing by like bumps on a log, that some people joined in to actually help--again, a bit risky--but still kind of a class act!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Happy it turned out ok. Kid needs to pick a new career field.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

A gun wouldnt have helped in this situation anyway.

a knee shot to the privates would have stopped all that running

You could always carry sharp stick or a slingshot.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    How about a pointed stick... or a banana, or a pineaple...
    Monty Python - Self-Defense Against Fruit - YouTube
    I love monty python
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Wonder what happened to her purse she left in the bus
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

VIP Member
    Chicago is a crap-hole.
    I'm sick of stories coming from Ill. saying Boo-Hoo, we can't carry.
    It isn't like the rest of the country hasn't gotten on board with reality, in reference to crime, so the people there should either vote the chump politicians out, move out of the state, or shut up.
    bandrich and sixgun like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Gutsy woman. A gun would not have helped her and would have instead put her in jail for a long time....assuming she would have had to shoot him in the back. If she did that, she would deserve to be in jail. Seriously, would you actually shoot someone running off with your wallet? if so, you're a trigger-happy loon who has no business carrying a gun or owning a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Chicago is a crap-hole.
    I'm sick of stories coming from Ill. saying Boo-Hoo, we can't carry.
    It isn't like the rest of the country hasn't gotten on board with reality, in reference to crime, so the people there should either vote the chump politicians out, move out of the state, or shut up.
    The citizens of Chicago are clueless!!! They just Elected Rahm Emanuel as their mayor!?!? Need I say more?
    oneshot likes this.

In defense of the good citizens of Chicago, many or most cannot simply move. It isn't like jobs abound in this country. Many have families there and don't want to leave. These are tough choices that many cannot take lightly just because gun-rights are not respected. It has a very corrupt "ruling" class and all that. While I am not supportive of the Tea Party at all, I think that is one state that could benefit from the NRA and moderate conservatives making a concerted effort to insert more gun-friendly law-makers into the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by bolocanolo View Post
    The citizens of Chicago are clueless!!! They just Elected Rahm Emanuel as their mayor!?!? Need I say more?
    +1 for me on that one
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

She could have asked God to Smyte him,I think that would entail a Holy Ass whooping
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links