BAD: Axe weilding invader bests man defending home with a rifle.

This is a discussion on BAD: Axe weilding invader bests man defending home with a rifle. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; BG steals car, leads LEO on a chase... abandons car... forces way into home with an axe... throws wife to floor... husband comes downstairs with ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By Eaglebeak
  • 6 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By ErnieNWillis
  • 1 Post By lordofwyr

Thread: BAD: Axe weilding invader bests man defending home with a rifle.

BAD: Axe weilding invader bests man defending home with a rifle.

BG steals car, leads LEO on a chase... abandons car... forces way into home with an axe... throws wife to floor... husband comes downstairs with a rifle... tries to shoot... safety on! gets his arm axed.... locks the couple in the closet... steals their car....

The only good thing is that they caught the BG.

Story here
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Important message: good guys don't always win the fight.
    ep1953 and limatunes like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Another important message: a safety is not always your friend - either on or off.
    ep1953 likes this.

Not enough training with his SD weapon. Anything that slows you down is not good. Having to worry about a safety, having to chamber a round, etc. Time is your enemy when trying to defend yourself.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    A man at the home then came down the stairs with a rifle. The man later told police he pulled the trigger to protect himself and his wife, but the safety was on.
    Such a shame, it would be far better if the dirt bag left toes up in a body bag.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Society needs to skim off this scum from the top of the gene pool and permanently flush it.
    ep1953 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So weird...Slavens looked like a good guy in his photo shoot... Hes lucky that mishap with his firearm didn't get him killed.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Life lesson to all those that think carrying with an empty chamber,and shooting their gun once a year will prepare them for a life or death scenario,this isn't the first time I've heard about somebody trying to shoot in SD and can't get their gun to fire due to failure to disengage a safety (2 that I saw on video were fatal for the store owners)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sad that the GG was injured. Glad that they caught the SOB, but it would have been better if he left the scene in a hearse. I have a safe so that my SD weapons can be loaded and have the safety disengaged, IF they have one, other than me.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Important message: good guys don't always win the fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Another important message: a safety is not always your friend - either on or off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Not enough training with his SD weapon. Anything that slows you down is not good. Having to worry about a safety, having to chamber a round, etc. Time is your enemy when trying to defend yourself.
    Yep, Yep, and Yep. If you're going to use a weapon with a safety, then for goodness sake, PRACTICE with it including clicking the safety off so you're ready to go.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Don't be so hard on the intruder. He busted through the door because he just wanted to axe the homeowner something.
    mlr1m likes this.

They are lucky to be alive.

Sadly, most people will never actually practice drawing or shouldering a weapon and deactivating the safety at the same time. They just go to a range every now and then, deactivate it once, start shooting, and then never activate the safety again once they start to shoot until they leave.

Good practice I was taught years back (with an empty weapon!!!) is to draw or shoulder the weapon ten times a day for a month while looking at yourself in a mirror from six feet away and not breaking eye contact with your reflection. Drop the safety each time and either dry fire with a snap cap (or not depending on the weapon's mechanism and dependability to be dry fired without damage to the striker or firing pin). This only takes a minute or two each day, and after a month, you have built up 300 +- repetitions of getting up on target, dropping that safety and getting a round down range.

This will build that important muscle memory to drop the safety on that weapon (even when still a bit groggy from being asleep or some such but waking up fast to a threat) while also drilling into your psyche the ability to actually pull the trigger on a human figure that is armed and now 6 feet distant (because of the reflection), which is a reasonable distance inside a home.

I cannot emphasize enough..... EMPTY WEAPON EMPTY WEAPON EMPTY WEAPON!!!!

Oh, and as good reason as any to have a good semi auto rifle or a semi auto pistol or revolver as your home defense weapon. Though it did not mention what he had as a rifle, you should never take a bolt action hunting rifle to a gunfight against any predator in close quarters (including Lions and Tigers and Bears but especially humans), because if you miss with that first round, all you have is a club, and I hope you know how to swing a bat in your house, because that is what you have once they close the distance on a bolt action.

Obviously I am a fan of semi-autos in home defense weapons (or revolvers in handguns also), and in particular, my AR-15 or the Glock 17 and Taurus PT 709, that I keep in the bedroom, safety activated where applicable, loaded and ready for action.
    DocPMD likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    They are lucky to be alive.

Sadly, most people will never actually practice drawing or shouldering a weapon and deactivating the safety at the same time. They just go to a range every now and then, deactivate it once, start shooting, and then never activate the safety again once they start to shoot until they leave.

Good practice I was taught years back (with an empty weapon!!!) is to draw or shoulder the weapon ten times a day for a month while looking at yourself in a mirror from six feet away and not breaking eye contact with your reflection. Drop the safety each time and either dry fire with a snap cap (or not depending on the weapon's mechanism and dependability to be dry fired without damage to the striker or firing pin). This only takes a minute or two each day, and after a month, you have built up 300 +- repetitions of getting up on target, dropping that safety and getting a round down range.

This will build that important muscle memory to drop the safety on that weapon (even when still a bit groggy from being asleep or some such but waking up fast to a threat) while also drilling into your psyche the ability to actually pull the trigger on a human figure that is armed and now 6 feet distant (because of the reflection), which is a reasonable distance inside a home.

I cannot emphasize enough..... EMPTY WEAPON EMPTY WEAPON EMPTY WEAPON!!!!

Oh, and as good reason as any to have a good semi auto rifle or a semi auto pistol or revolver as your home defense weapon. Though it did not mention what he had as a rifle, you should never take a bolt action hunting rifle to a gunfight against any predator in close quarters (including Lions and Tigers and Bears but especially humans), because if you miss with that first round, all you have is a club, and I hope you know how to swing a bat in your house, because that is what you have once they close the distance on a bolt action.

Obviously I am a fan of semi-autos in home defense weapons (or revolvers in handguns also), and in particular, my AR-15 or the Glock 17 and Taurus PT 709, that I keep in the bedroom, safety activated where applicable, loaded and ready for action.
    Can't argue with that...
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

Opponents change things. We tend to focus on what is trying to kill us and makes us forget little things like safeties.

Links