Home posted "armed," owner killed in double fatal shootout during home invasion

This is a discussion on Home posted "armed," owner killed in double fatal shootout during home invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Double Shooting Happened At House With Warning Sign - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville GREER, S.C. -- A warning sign on a front door ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Home posted "armed," owner killed in double fatal shootout during home invasion

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Home posted "armed," owner killed in double fatal shootout during home invasion

Double Shooting Happened At House With Warning Sign - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

GREER, S.C. -- A warning sign on a front door didn’t prevent a robbery attempt that ended with two people dead.
    Douglas "Butch" Burgess Jr., 62, had a sign posted on the front door of his house on Pelham Street in Greer that said: “PLAY IT SAFE – ROB SOMEONE ELSE – WE HAVE GUNS AND WLL NOT HESITATE TO SHOOT YOU.”
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

mkh
    Sounds like he threw down the challenge and someone took him up on it. Best to not let the BG know what is waiting for them.

Bad situation all around. Prayers for the victim.
    Last edited by mkh; February 3rd, 2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    We don't know how many robberies that sign may have prevented. We do know of the one it didn't. Sad!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

This is why I don't like signs like this. If they want to get in your home, they now know to bring firepower are ready when they come in the door.

Well, it's very sad he was killed, but at least he took her with him! He shot her in the leg and she died in surgery. Would have been nicer if she bled out on the scene, but at least she won't be robbing and shooting anyone else.

I agree that's it's best not to advertise and just surprise them. I do my best to be the "grey man."
    JDE101 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

That is one of the main reasons I obtained my Concealed Carry License about three years ago because of fools like that. This shows that having a firearm does not insulate you from being injured or killed it just makes the odds better in your favor of surviving although it did not help this guy but at least the robber did not get away scott free.

sgb
    Rest In Peace Mr Burgess, Rot In Hell Tamika Weatherspoon
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

What a shame. I'm not a big fan of these signs though.

This "in your face" bravado type attitude will ultimately backfire and it could very well have attracted the attack rather than repelled one.

I feel bad for the homeowner, but a little less advertising and a lot more security would have been better.

Unfortuntely he will spend eternity pondering the situation.

So will the dead girl.
    Bark'n, oakchas and rammerjammer like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Its obvious that Mr. Burgess lived his life by his rules. Its sad that it cost him....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I think it's a stupid idea,first of all they now expect you to be armed so if they get the drop on you they may very well make sure you don't have a concealed gun,and number 2 guns on the street are worth a lot of money to a junkie,you just let everybody know you have a valuable street commodity.
    Bark'n and WHEC724 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sad. There is no reason that I can see to draw attention to yourself about anything, guns included. If somebody is out to get some guns, they will go where there is a very good possiblity of finding them. That sign on your door tells them that you have guns. That's why I cc, if I need my gun, I want it to be a surprise and on my grounds when they find out about it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    I've always figured a sign like that was an invitation for someone who wants guns to come and try to take them.

The signs are cute, they may even often be effective, but when they advertise that you have something a BG wants, and when that BG comes prepared for winning, they sign is a negative; as the homeowner discovered.
    Bark'n likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Sorry Mr. Burgess, R.I.P.

Funeral arrangements for the Weatherspoons will be held on Saturday at the local zoo's gator pond...
    Guest1 and JoJoGunn like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Advertising something like this sign..... is seen as a challenge by social degenerates like Witherspoon.

Never Show Your Hand..... is the best advice untill it's time to..... Call.....then make your move.
    Secret Spuk, Bark'n and wmhawth like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links