Medic hides in patient's home after unprovoked shovel attack

This is a discussion on Medic hides in patient's home after unprovoked shovel attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fayette County man accused of attacking medic with shovel A Fayette County man was arraigned today on charges of aggravated assault after police said he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Medic hides in patient's home after unprovoked shovel attack

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Medic hides in patient's home after unprovoked shovel attack

Fayette County man accused of attacking medic with shovel

A Fayette County man was arraigned today on charges of aggravated assault after police said he swung a shovel at a medic answering a call at a neighboring apartment late Sunday.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    This is why EMT's should be allowed to carry. It is stupid we trust them with our lives but they can't protect their own

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    This is why EMT's should be allowed to carry. It is stupid we trust them with our lives but they can't protect their own
    Absolutely!

Exactly! Shovel man should be a "dead drunk", pun intended!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Shovel Drunk needs about 6 months in the County,and then at least 2 year probation with alcohol/drug treatment ordered.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Paramedics want to be able "go home at the end their work day" too. They should have the ability to protect themselves if it becomes necessary.
    Especially with so many loony-tunes out in the world these days who should really be living out their lives in the lollipop factory.

Who are some of the people most likely to need emergency medical attention?
    The Methed & Cracked Up addicted, the sometimes incredibly antagonistic, violent, Alcoholic, & the Just Plain Crazy.
    Of course their first desire is to "save lives" and to always "do no harm" but, we cannot expect them to be sacrificial lambs.
    It may BE their "life work" but, they are not trained and signed up for suicide missions.
    I cannot imagine anyone exercising more "restraint" before actually ever using a firearm then a Medic.
    They know exactly and "first hand" what sort of bodily damage a firearm can do and they would always avoid using a firearm unless they were in real and deadly peril with no other options.
    Also remember that we DO have an America hating terrorist population living inside our borders these days who would love nothing better than to "end it all" & go to heaven by popping one or two unarmed (or armed) American Responders...be they Cop, Paramedic, or Firefighter.
    It would make no difference to them who they are attempting to kill.
    They are going to become ever increasingly more active and emboldened here in our country as the entire Middle East goes to Hell in a hand-basket.
    Which IS happening right now.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Paramedics want to be able "go home at the end their work day" too. They should have the ability to protect themselves if it becomes necessary.
    :SNIP:
    A good argument for all citizen to be able to carry, not just those who work for the government.

Michael

Luckily there are no federal or local laws(at least in Texas) that prevent Fire/EMS personnel from carrying while on the job.
    We are well within the confines of the law if we choose to carry but the sad part is that most agencies see it as too much of a liability to NOT have an anti-firearm/weapon policy in place that prevents lawful carrying.
    Even more heart breaking is that we are forced to choose between losing our job(if discovered) in these unsure economic times or being able to protect ourselves while out on the streets.
    Sure, I can carry but if I do I run the risk of losing my job.
    Good thing for me though is that I don't often find myself in areas that I'm that uncomfortable with.
    Yes, I know violent criminals don't make appointments and violent crimes can happen anywhere but its just not something I'm comfortable risking at the moment.
    I know there is the argument that its better to be broke and out of work than be dead and I agree and don't get be wrong, I would LOVE to carry at work. I just don't think my people would be in my corner if I had to defend myself while on the clock.
    Its too easy to just cut ties with the employee rather than to keep them on board and leave themselves open to legal action even in a good shoot.
    l1a1 likes this.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

VIP Member
    just ran across this

this is why I do my best to look out for these guys and gals, whether its staying the extra few minutes while they are in the truck getting prepped to transport or just hanging around on scene even if they say we're not needed
    we've had instances where some dirtbags tried to get in to the drug cabinet in a truck, POS left before we got there though
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

There should be a law regulating who can have a shovel. How about a CCS permit. (concealed carry shovel) Hmmm maybe I should start a new forum. Holsters for open carry. I could dig it.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    have to get a tax stamp for a folding camp shovel?
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I cannot understand why EMT's are not allowed to carry a firearm.

They are put into all kinds of situations with whack jobs and there is always the chance one of those encounters could be fatal.

EMT's have access to drugs, could be and probably have been the target of addicts looking for a quick score. All it takes is one derranged armed addict and we have a dead EMT and that should never happen.

I say arm them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

First, thanks to 64 zebra. I can think of many reasons why Firefighters/EMTS should carry on duty. On the obvious dangerous calls we stage until PD clears the scene, some times though the BG flees and runs around the corner right into us! On many "routine" calls PD doesn't even get dispatched to the call, those are the ones that we would surely benefit being armed to help us to get out of unforseen dangers. I have knowledge of 2 occasions that our department has had guns put in reponders faces!!

sent from my EVO , with Tapatalk

Everyone should be allowed to carry. EMT's are not a higher class than any other US citizen. All or none.
    mlr1m likes this.

As a former EMT, I don't know of any private ambulance companies, with or without 9-1-1 contracts, that allow EMTs/Paramedics to carry. Irrespective of the state's right-to-carry laws (or lack of). It's a liability issue to them. Most calls with potential risk to responding EMS units result in a stage action by EMS until PD or SO secures the scene, as they are dispatched in parallel. Nonetheless, all it takes is one "call-turned-south" to ruin your day. Like in this medic's case.

In my 10 years in the field I have had two calls that made me a little "stressed". I still think it would be great idea to allow ambulance EMTs/medics to carry, but I don't see it happening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links