Detroit: Justifiable Homicide up 79%

This is a discussion on Detroit: Justifiable Homicide up 79% within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 911 IS A JOKE - WWW.THEDAILY.COM Justifiable homicide in the city shot up 79 percent in 2011 from the previous year, as citizens in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Detroit: Justifiable Homicide up 79%

JD [OP]
    Administrator

911 IS A JOKE - WWW.THEDAILY.COM

Justifiable homicide in the city shot up 79 percent in 2011 from the previous year, as citizens in the long-suffering city armed themselves and took matters into their own hands. The local rate of self-defense killings now stands 2,200 percent above the national average. Residents, unable to rely on a dwindling police force to keep them safe, are fighting back against the criminal scourge on their own. And they’re offering no apologies.

Detroiters are arming themselves with shotguns and handguns and buying guard dogs. Anything to take care of their own. And privately, residents say neighborhood watch groups in Detroit are widely armed.

“It’s like the militiamen who stepped up way back when. That’s where the neighborhood folks are," said James “Jackrabbit” Jackson, a 63-year-old retired Detroit cop who has patrolled the Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood for years.

“They’re ready to fight,” Jackson said. “We don’t hardly see police anymore.”

The city’s wealthier enclaves have hired private security firms. Intimidating men in armored trucks patrol streets lined with gracious old homes in a scene more likely seen in Mexico City than the United States.
    And people ask why I left home and enjoy living in the middle of nowhere.

And that is what my plan is.... this is a good thing, but ridiculous as well. When will the BG's learn?
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    When will the BG's learn?

dead rather puts an end to their ability to absorb new information

upside is dead BG's do not contribute to prsion overcrowding.
    downside is if the DA pushes, the good guy has deep out of pocket expenses.

need to tweak the law such that if a DA loses than the good guys expenses are covered by
    monies from the DA's fund. may cut down on spitful actions by the DA if his salary was tied to performance.
    RoadKill, kerberos, Badey and 2 others like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Amazing! Well done-Citizens of Detroit!

They'll get them whittled down eventually and their average will drop into place with everywhere else. The BG's had a free run there for quite awhile, and it will take them time to learn the new rules.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

"Early, the director of the criminal justice studies program at the University of Michigan’s Dearborn campus, reasoned with the men for more than 20 minutes before he sensed they were about to shoot him in the head — then he ran. As his attackers fled in the opposite direction, neighbors emerged from the street’s stately homes with shotguns."

You would think that nobody in the world should know better than to be armed... He's lucky to be alive.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

they need to change the laws to better protect the homeowner/citizen

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    If I'm not mistaken, the guy in the article/photo is driving north on Mt. Elliot, next to the oldest cemetary in the city, Mt. Elliot/Elmwood cemetary. It's considered a (local) historic site.

JD, I had no idea you were a "home boy" from the D. As you know there are still pockets of the city, like Palmer Woods, Indian Village, Cork Town, etc., that are still worth preserving, IMO. Unfortunately, the residents in these parts of the city are surrounded by "less than desirable" neighbors/neighborhoods. Mayor (Dave) Bing has his hands full. By this April, if the city workers don't agree to concessions, a state appointed financial manager will (officially) take over or they'll run out of cash. If that happens they'll need to declare "bankruptcy", re-negotiate contracts, re-district and divert city services to only certain parts of the city. The unions can then kiss their CBA's bye bye.

Those of us, who still live in the metro-D area, are under no illusions that things will get better any time soon. In fact, I don't think we've seen the bottom yet, but it's coming soon. Not quite SHTF, WROL or prepper scenarios, but definitely a reason to stay (more) alert and vigilant.
    Rock and Glock and JD like this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Just curious, anyone know what the murder rate is doing in comparison to the homicide rate? It would not surprise me to see politicians trumpeting a carefully worded increase in the homicide rate. But what are they to do if the homicide rate is up but the murder rate is significantly down?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Just curious, anyone know what the murder rate is doing in comparison to the homicide rate? It would not surprise me to see politicians trumpeting a carefully worded increase in the homicide rate. But what are they to do if the homicide rate is up but the murder rate is significantly down?
    The anti's have no problem with combining the numbers when it comes to deaths by firearms. They know that the normal public does not realize the difference. They do not understand the difference between a legal homicide and a murder.
    Politicians and anti's know this and use it to their advantage.

Michael

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the guy in the article/photo is driving north on Mt. Elliot, next to the oldest cemetary in the city, Mt. Elliot/Elmwood cemetary. It's considered a (local) historic site.

JD, I had no idea you were a "home boy" from the D. As you know there are still pockets of the city, like Palmer Woods, Indian Village, Cork Town, etc., that are still worth preserving, IMO. Unfortunately, the residents in these parts of the city are surrounded by "less than desirable" neighbors/neighborhoods. Mayor (Dave) Bing has his hands full. By this April, if the city workers don't agree to concessions, a state appointed financial manager will (officially) take over or they'll run out of cash. If that happens they'll need to declare "bankruptcy", re-negotiate contracts, re-district and divert city services to only certain parts of the city. The unions can then kiss their CBA's bye bye.

Those of us, who still live in the metro-D area, are under no illusions that things will get better any time soon. In fact, I don't think we've seen the bottom yet, but it's coming soon. Not quite SHTF, WROL or prepper scenarios, but definitely a reason to stay (more) alert and vigilant.
    I grew up in the 'burbs. Worked downtown for a little while after leaving the service.

I miss Greektown, but for the most part I'm just still glad to be out of the Down River area all together.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I grew up in the 'burbs. Worked downtown for a little while after leaving the service.

I miss Greektown, but for the most part I'm just still glad to be out of the Down River area all together.
    Greektown was (probably still is) the safest 6-square block area in downtown 'DayTwa'...the Greek mafia takes care of its own.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; February 6th, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Even Greektown is not the same as it was in the 'ole days. Can you imagine GT without New Hellas? Well, they closed a little over a year ago, and it hasn't been the same since.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Greektown was (probably still is) the safest 6-square block area in downtown 'DayTwa'...the Greek mafia takes care of it own.
    I thought so too until this happened Motorist to plead guilty in death of Detroit police officer in Greektown. Of course, the local media did not make anything out of the fact that the killer was of "middle eastern" descent. Don't want to upset that "demographic", don'cha' know, even when one of them ends up killing one of our finest LEO's.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Distinguished Member
    It really a shame that an American city can degenerate to this degree. Makes me appreciate the small town I live in. The problems of government in a large city like Detroit are unimaginable to me. I hope your situation improves. Until then, stay alert and stay armed.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I always wonder why people don't hire their own police. I did a detail at this rich guys house for a week (don't know why he only wanted a week worth of protection) then I got the thinking that if all of this neighbors kicked in, everybody would pay about $500 for their own guards to walk/drive up and down the street.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links