Fight over barking dog ends with a homicide

This is a discussion on Fight over barking dog ends with a homicide within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fight Over Barking Dog Ends With Fatal Shooting According to investigators, Daley asked Chester to quiet his dog just moments before Chester attacked him. Several ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Fight over barking dog ends with a homicide

Fight Over Barking Dog Ends With Fatal Shooting
    According to investigators, Daley asked Chester to quiet his dog just moments before Chester attacked him.

Several neighbors told police they saw Chester attack Daley from behind. Witnesses also say they saw Chester beating Daley seconds before hearing 4-6 gunshots.
    Personally I have no problem with the outcome here. I do wonder though what was in the mind of the person knowingly taking a weapon into a confrontational situation. Its not like this person was innocently walking down a street when he was attacked.
    He actually went out of his way to confront this person and took a deadly weapon with him.

Any thoughts?

Michael

I read the article and I agree with you why go armed? We don't know what was exchanged between the two men, perhaps never will.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Fight Over Barking Dog Ends With Fatal Shooting

Personally I have no problem with the outcome here. I do wonder though what was in the mind of the person knowingly taking a weapon into a confrontational situation. Its not like this person was innocently walking down a street when he was attacked.
    He actually went out of his way to confront this person and took a deadly weapon with him.

Any thoughts?

Michael
    Most of the people on this site who religiously CC would have taken their gun with them. (always carry never tell).

Should you carry a weapon only in non-confrontational situations?

If Chester attacked me and threatened my life because I asked him to quite his dog I'd shoot him too.

My question is... when the two men were found lying on the ground was the dog still barking? Thought to ponder.
    jerp, JL, 2wheelGnnr and 1 others like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I believe that a person should always carry. I also believe that a person should avoid if at all possible knowingly going into confrontational situations. There are actually places that I will not got to exactly because I am armed if there might be a high probability of a fight happening.

Michael
    JL and 8th ID like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Most of the people on this site who religiously CC would have taken their gun with them. (always carry never tell).

If Chester attacked me and threatened my life because I asked him to quite his dog I'd shoot him too.

My question is... when the two men were found lying on the ground was the dog still barking? Thought to ponder.
    How are you going to know when a situation is going to be non-confrontational? Are you a psychic?
    JL and sgb like this.

I would most certainly have had my gun if I knew I was going into a confrontational scenario. I certainly wouldn't tell the other person that I was carrying, and I wouldn't let the knowledge of the gun cause me to have a more aggressive attitude with the thinking that the gun makes me stronger. Not all confrontations can be avoided.
    atctimmy and aznav like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    How are you going to know when a situation is going to be non-confrontational? Are you a psychic?
    Lets see. I would think that a reasonable person might believe that when you go tell your neighbor to quiet his dog down it might get confrontational. Or when you tell your obnoxious neighbor to turn his music down.
    I can think of many circumstances where a reasonable person might believe that things might quickly go beyond the casual hiya neighbor type situation.

Michael

My question is... when the two men were found lying on the ground was the dog still barking?
    Very Zen, Sir. Nice.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i carry not to find trouble but to pracatice saying away from it

i can not go 3 rounds to settle something. if attacked from behind,
    not pushed but actually driven to the ground--from behind ( forget that SA rather forbids my turning my back on potential trouble)
    i will have to respond befor i go into a-fib
    i will have to respond literally as if my life depends on it.

with a 380, 4-6 shots: unless he disengaged immediatly, is about what he could expect.
    and 4-6 may as well say 'multiple shots fired'
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

sounds like he carried the gun down with him expecting trouble and when does a fist fight become a legal shooting situation especially when the man with the gun is the aggressor

Perfect example of why all you crazy gun nuts should not be allowed to carry guns!

LOL

BTW - never bring a gun to a dog fight, just call animal control.

Ok my .02, is simple, the investigation is still going on but:

1.) Maybe he wasnt the only one who had a problem with the dog barking just the spokesman of the neighborhood?

2.) Maybe a child was sleeping?

3.) Dog barking ridiculously = disturbing the peace, would you prefer someone calling the police instead of warning you first? **

4.) An attack from behind, seems enough for me.

5.) If I have a permit, you can bet I carry EVERYWHERE I can LEGALLY. I speak with respect and calmness. Should I be attacked for that? **

** Now it was not written that way in the report, is that how it happened? Who knows? But that is my opinion.
    ep1953 likes this.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I don't see a problem with asking a neighbor to do something about a dog that barks continuously and disturbs me,If he responds with a physical attack from behind then he just escalated the situation,IMHO he got what he asked for.Something tells me this probably wasn't the first time he was confronted about his dog barking.
    Just to let you know,at night there are several dogs that bark in the neighborhood,it doesn't bother me,but if I ever confronted the guy I would try to do it as respectful as possible.There can be a world of difference in the way you talk to somebody and how they respond.
    8th ID, JDE101, Dadsnugun and 1 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

i cc every second im not in bed.
    i would never turn my back on a threat or person i just had words with
    i would exhaust all other measures b4 confronting the neighbor
    mlr1m likes this.
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    sounds like he carried the gun down with him expecting trouble and when does a fist fight become a legal shooting situation especially when the man with the gun is the aggressor
    Noe of us can know what his true intent was. However I would fear that what you have said is exactly what a prosecutor or jury might easily conclude.
    As I said earlier I have no problem with the outcome. My problem is that he may have needlessly put himself in the crosshairs of the law.

Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links