Craig's list robber

Craig's list robber

This is a discussion on Craig's list robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another reminder to take the proper precaution(s) during these types of transactions. I'm glad this dirt bag was caught. Man Hoping to Sell Diamond Ring ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Craig's list robber

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Craig's list robber

Another reminder to take the proper precaution(s) during these types of transactions. I'm glad this dirt bag was caught.

Man Hoping to Sell Diamond Ring Robbed by Man With a Gun
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

VIP Member
    Stupid meeting some dumbbell you don't know to sell something of value such as this.
    Tell the guy you'll meet him at the local Mickey Dees.
    $5 says the robber would not have showed up.

I recently bought a car,(not off of craigs list) and the woman, who appeared to be in her 50's, met me in a H Depot parking lot, so I could drive it around the lot and such.
    At this point I figured she must live alone, and didn't have anyone to assist her in any way.
    I offered to buy it, and we agreed to meet at a restaurant near her house, in a couple of days to exchange money/title, etc.
    My wife, myself and my 7 yr old met her there, the seller and I go into the restaurant to finalize the deal.
    She's looking at the money($3300) and I say to her, "how are you going to get home"?
    She stated that she planned on walking home (turned out to be almost 3/4 mi.)in the dark, and 38 degrees.
    I asked her that I would feel better if she would allow my wife and son to drive her home in our suburban, and she looked at me and almost breathed a sigh of relief, and said , "thanks, I think that would be better, I didn't think about walking down the street with all this money."
    Wife got her safely home.
    I silently thanked her parents, for raising a smart girl, who was smart enough to not let some stranger go to her house to look at the car.
    Then meet in a public place to make the transaction.
    I was proud of her!!!!!!!!!
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I have sold hundreds, maybe thousands of items on craigslist over the years. (mostly computers, due to my business) and I have never had any issues. However, I've had a few questionable encounters. A few people ask that I meet them in a public place. I will usually oblige to that, as long as it is nearby. But most have come to my home. I've also bought things from other people. In fact, I bought a TV from a guy off craigslist this last weekend. Obviously I was carrying my Glock concealed. I went out of my way to make it more deeply concealed than usual as I didn't want to so much as print while in another person's home.

I have also sold cars on craigslist.. 3 of them, I believe. I took $17,000 in cash from a guy just last year when I sold my Prius. My family thought I was crazy taking cash, saying that maybe he was ripping me off. But I couldn't see how I could possibly lose out, unless it was counterfeit. But I have the equipment to check for that. If anything, the guy carrying the money to me was the one taking the risk.

Overall I'd say craigslist is pretty safe. My primary issues are with the stupidity of people. They always call me and ask me questions that are clearly answered if they just bothered to read the ad. In fact, the most common question I get is "how much do you want for it?" I'm always thinking. 'DUH?" read the giant number at the top of the ad. The second most irritating thing is that people say they are coming and then never show up. In fact, I've found that happens about 50% of the time.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I was selling some old items not long ago and had a guy from CL that wanted to buy some stuff. Out of the blue he was in a rush to meet up and wanted to meet at a motorcycle bar/club.. I said no and told him to meet me at a gas station up the road. The way things were going down just seemed fishy. I tossed on my paddle holster and decided to open carry. I wasn't going anywhere without having the easiest access to my xd as I could. I showed up and it turned out to be a decent enough guy but there is no telling what the situation would have been had we met where he wanted. I dunno I am always cautious when it comes to meeting people to purchase or sell anything off CL and I sure as heck don't give them any idea where I live. Be safe out there guys.

I've sold several expensive items on Craig's List...never a problem...always armed.

I can see how it could be a problem...bring a friend who also has a gun.
    8th ID likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sold a mountain bike and an old police scanner (2 seperate transactions) from Craig's. Went smooth, no problems, both came to my house. The bike was sold to a college kid who needed it to get around campus (he loved it when he saw it...was excited). The scanner was sold without issue, both people seemed like normal everyday people. I probably won't do it again, but the items needed to be sold quick and I knew they would sell quick on Craig's. Just be careful with higher end items or big ticket items, use common sense and if the person sounds like an idiot on the phone, he probably is one, so don't meet him.

we have used craig's list many times. My wife, our 25 year old girl and I went to see a refrigerator this evening. My wife had our older doughter talking to the guy on the phone (very cute voice). asked if he could help load it. were running a bit late and had her call him again to say we were a bit late. he stated then that he called "a party" to come over and help load it. I thought that was an odd way to put it. it was suposed to be a 1 year old 2010 model for 300. talked down to 250 on the phone. I was not sure about this one so I open carried. This is not uncommon here in AZ.

We looked at it and it looked like a wreck. dents all over, one handle loose and scrapes down to the metal. we declined to buy it. from the looks it should have been priced near $50.
    the seller was not too happy that we declined but then he was not all that honest about the condition it was in eather. "great" is not the way I would have described it. BTW, no close photos in the ad.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I've bought and sold several items on craigslist, usually gone to peoples homes but before I knocked on their door I scope out the area and If I'm not comfortable with what I see I ask'em to meet me at a fast food or supermarket close by. Now when I sell I try to set up a meeting in a public setting... I just don't like bringing strays home.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    We looked at it and it looked like a wreck. dents all over, one handle loose and scrapes down to the metal. we declined to buy it. from the looks it should have been priced near $50.
    the seller was not too happy that we declined but then he was not all that honest about the condition it was in eather. "great" is not the way I would have described it. BTW, no close photos in the ad.
    I would probably chalk that up to a difference in opinion. I've noticed a great disparity over what some people consider to be good condition. Not just sellers, but also buyers. I've sold some equipment that was in pretty bad shape, but worked. I made sure to describe the imperfections and took good photos. To my amazement the people who show to buy these things often say how good of condition it is in.. or "oh.. it isn't as bad off as you say.. this is nice." Yet, I've also had equipment that looked like it was brand new, and have people dig out a magnifying glass and look for some tiny scratch on some obscure part of it and decline to buy it. So.. it goes both ways.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

This happened in Idaho too! According to another report the Sheriff even told them his name before arranging to meet them for the purchase.

Targeted by Craigslist armed robbery scheme, Ada Sheriff says: 'I think it's hilarious' | KTVB.COM Boise

Always stay in public and always be armed.

Sponsored Links