BAD - Much Speculation & Controversy After Officer Shoots Woman in Her Vehicle

This is a discussion on BAD - Much Speculation & Controversy After Officer Shoots Woman in Her Vehicle within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Controversy mounts in police shooting of housewife | Star-Exponent It'll be weeks before the Virginia State Police complete the investigation, but it appears the officer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: BAD - Much Speculation & Controversy After Officer Shoots Woman in Her Vehicle

Controversy mounts in police shooting of housewife | Star-Exponent

It'll be weeks before the Virginia State Police complete the investigation, but it appears the officer continued firing after the woman tried to drive away. If that's the case, we have a terrible situation. Other reports indicated the husband has said the Jeep does not have power windows; it seems it'd be tough to trap the officer's arm in the window if the woman had to roll the window up manually. If his arm was trapped it should have been free after the first shot shattered the glass. Why continue firing?

Speculation is rampant around town; people are jumping to conclusions with few, if any, facts. I hope this is resolved quickly, for everyone's sake.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

The details are hazy, but if a LEO tells me to "Stop", and has a gun drawn, I believe I'd stop.
    MattInFla, msgt/ret and awoodpd13 like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The details are hazy, but if a LEO tells me to "Stop", and has a gun drawn, I believe I'd stop.
    Im with you on this. Not enough info to make any conclusions...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

This case not withstanding............but............I been scared more than once thinking about some individuals I have known that have been accepted as LEO's and issued guns with real bullets. One individual who I know since he was a child was turned down by 4... that's right count'em 4 departments before he was accepted by NYPD.......IMO......just not mentally stable, you never could be sure of what he would do next.....very unpridictable and could never take directions.
    When came to our house once to visit with our sons, I plainly told him.....I have no problem with you being here but if you give me a problem I will Kick Your Ass all over my back yard......he acknowledged there wouldn't be any trouble and there wasn't....but his parents couldn't control him ever.

Now he's armed........Geeeezzzzz.

VIP Member
    Sketchy for sure.
    Even if the officers arm was caught in the window/door, why would he not just shoot the window out, and break free.
    Most likely already had her plate/info.
    She should have stopped.
    BUT,,,, was he justified in shooting an unarmed woman, who by all accounts was NOT a known felon.

Need more info, including why she was there at the school.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Yeah, well, LEO's are just ordinary people. Mostly good, but plenty of bad ones too.

Which leads me to harp on my pet peeve - all encounters between LEO's and civilians should be captured on audio/video device (some communities now doing this). This would help to weed out the bad LEO's in a hurry, is my guess. Plus, it would bolster cases for 'good' LEO's.

-
    Hopyard likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Sadly, I take a huge dose of salt with ANYTHING a reporter writes anymore.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    Controversy mounts in police shooting of housewife | Star-Exponent

It'll be weeks before the Virginia State Police complete the investigation, but it appears the officer continued firing after the woman tried to drive away. If that's the case, we have a terrible situation. Other reports indicated the husband has said the Jeep does not have power windows; it seems it'd be tough to trap the officer's arm in the window if the woman had to roll the window up manually. If his arm was trapped it should have been free after the first shot shattered the glass. Why continue firing?

Speculation is rampant around town; people are jumping to conclusions with few, if any, facts. I hope this is resolved quickly, for everyone's sake.

I know nothing about the manual window on a Jeep, but I did many years ago roll the window up on a guy who was attempting to unlock my door and rob me.

Actually power windows are very slow and manuals can be very fast.

In my case, I was suspicious of the guy and had the window down just enough that we could communicate.

I dragged him up a nice steep hill before I let him go.

As for the victim: This behaviour must have been out of character for her according to the story.

If so, she might have had a slight stroke or some other event that made her irrational. Still not a reason to kill her.

After all, half of us think the other half is irrational.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have a Jeep Wrangler Sport. It has manual windows. I don't remember seeing a Jeep with power windows but I haven't seen them all either. The window isn't easy to close real fast on my Jeep. If I were younger I could probably do it faster. Not sure how fast a 54 year old woman could do it.

Whether or not the window was closed is probably a key piece of data. They ought to be able to easily tell if the window was closed when the shots were fired or not. If the officer was dragged they should be able to verify that as well.

Lots of questions. No answers. I expect it will remain that way for a while, maybe forever.

Eye witness statements are notoriously unreliable. It will come down to the physical evidence, believability of the officers statements and whether or not the people believe the police department did an honest, complete, and objective investigation. I suspect they are going to get a chance to argue that in court.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Sad story, and I wasn't there, but if I was being dragged by a vehicle, I'd probably shoot the operator as well.
    atctimmy and awoodpd13 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It'll probably boil down to another he said-she said. Hope VSP does a thorough investigation including the truth from the meandering eyewitness. My sympathies for the victim's family. I like LEOs. They stand in harms way for us. Sometimes a nut job slips thruogh.(ergo the Canton, Ohio officer fired for threatening and abusive behavior-on dash cam.) Hope the facts tell us the whole truth here.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Sketchy for sure.
    Even if the officers arm was caught in the window/door, why would he not just shoot the window out, and break free.
    Most likely already had her plate/info.
    She should have stopped.
    BUT,,,, was he justified in shooting an unarmed woman, who by all accounts was NOT a known felon.

Need more info, including why she was there at the school.
    I hear ya.... What could she have possibly done wrong that would justify her being shot to death... I don't want to pass judgment on the officer, but dang! Seems like he already should have had the plate # so if she decided to just leave, big deal... Call it in and have her picked up and charged with with that. Last time I checked, that doesn't carry a death sentence. Whatever it was that caused him to fire, it must have been bad and given him cause.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I look forward to an easing of the current standard to justify deadly force, "I was afraid, for my life" or variations on the theme..local news is full of outragous police conduct..homeless icon wood-carver guned down in the street found holding a pocket knike (found closed), hopeless drunk hi-centered in parking lot shot 10 time's in the head by LEO "ending this"...anytime a sunday school teacher is gunned down the sheep are bound to be a little restless...

If his arm was trapped and she was driving off = Justified,If his arm wasn't trapped and she just decided she was gonna leave = Not Justified.
    It's real easy once that first round goes off to keep shooting at a fleeing target.It's why we need to practice shoot til the threat ends,If this was some kind of Civilian SD shooting,It's highly likely that once the vehicle took off unless they were shooting at you,the threat has ended,Any shots after that could end up getting you a charge of Reckless Endangerment especially around a School
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links