Women. Guns: Could You Pull the Trigger? Also Public Poll to Vote In.

This is a discussion on Women. Guns: Could You Pull the Trigger? Also Public Poll to Vote In. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Carol Williams of Chanel 9 put together a nice article on women and guns for self defense. The article is more balanced than I. Would ...

Thread: Women. Guns: Could You Pull the Trigger? Also Public Poll to Vote In.

VIP Member

Women. Guns: Could You Pull the Trigger? Also Public Poll to Vote In.

Carol Williams of Chanel 9 put together a nice article on women and guns for self defense. The article is more balanced than I. Would have thought she would have run.

Women, guns: Could you pull the trigger?

A recent Gallup poll found that 23 percent of women in the United States own a gun.

Read more: Survey: More women buying guns
    Last edited by ksholder; February 21st, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

This is a good thing, should cut down on the BG population. I'd much rather read about a BG getting planted than another helpless female.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Did you watch the vid? At about 0:30 in, the gal that works at the gun store, goes to her lane, has weapon pointed downrange, finger indexed outside the trigger guard.... UNTIL she racks the slide... then, as she grasps the slide to chamber a round, finger goes into the trigger hole, and even (very close) maybe touches the trigger...

Other than that, a good story... and I'm glad fewer women will be victimized.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Interesting little article from someone who I assume is probably not at all familiar with firearms.

I also assume that she misstated the instructions from Dan White--"told me to breath when I get ready to shoot"--or Dan White isn't someone I'd want instructing anyone I know!

I've seen other articles and reports on the evening news about the increase in women who are buying/own/carry guns. I think it is great that more and more women (as well as men) are doing so, getting training, and that the media is portraying it in at least a somewhat favorable manner.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Did you watch the vid? At about 0:30 in, the gal that works at the gun store, goes to her lane, has weapon pointed downrange, finger indexed outside the trigger guard.... UNTIL she racks the slide... then, as she grasps the slide to chamber a round, finger goes into the trigger hole, and even (very close) maybe touches the trigger...

Other than that, a good story... and I'm glad fewer women will be victimized.
    If that was real life and she was doing a tactical reload I think it was perfect. Weapon down range on targert, coming up from ready position, extending toward BG starting trigger squeeze if postive ID.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    If that was real life and she was doing a tactical reload I think it was perfect. Weapon down range on targert, coming up from ready position, extending toward BG starting trigger squeeze if postive ID.
    I won't argue your point... If she was IRL against multiple BG's needing a tac reload... okay.

She was at the range, shooting round targets, practicing. In practicing "target shooting" one does not do tac reloads, one does not put booger hook on trigger when placing a shell in battery...

See there, I didn't much..

And here's another feel good story about women and guns: DM Register Story in USA today
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Oakchas - nice article you referenced.

All - I just noticed that there is a gun pole to vote on. Currently it is running pretty well in favor of guns, but it would be nice to hammer it. You can find it here.
    Local News, Weather, Traffic, Sports | Cincinnati, Ohio | WCPO.com | WCPO-TV
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I just started learning about guns this month. Before I would've said No. I probably wouldn't have been about to pull the trigger, or even hold a gun! It took me a week to even get use to the idea of having one in my home. Now that I'm learning more and more each day, I'm comfortable with them. I like that I know how they work and what to do if I need to use them to protect myself.
    The only downside to learning about guns and being comfortable with them is that I want more. haha

Quote Originally Posted by ldell23 View Post
    I just started learning about guns this month. Before I would've said No. I probably wouldn't have been about to pull the trigger, or even hold a gun! It took me a week to even get use to the idea of having one in my home. Now that I'm learning more and more each day, I'm comfortable with them. I like that I know how they work and what to do if I need to use them to protect myself.
    The only downside to learning about guns and being comfortable with them is that I want more. haha
    After you get familiar with shooting your gun(s), get a CCW permit. Also review the legal aspects of self defense and have an idea of what defense lawyer to call on just in case something ever happens (hope not). Be informed as to what you can and can't do, and also what you should do afterwards if you ever have to defend yourself. Might be worth consulting with a defense attorney for advice as to what to do and establish a rapport. Something that a lot of CCW holders don't consider. Of course, I'm talking like a city boy and things are probably way different in Montana.

Links