Details on another tragic story

This is a discussion on Details on another tragic story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; KILLEEN - We now know the name of the young boy that was killed in a shooting Saturday morning. At 8:36 a.m. officers were called ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: Details on another tragic story

KILLEEN - We now know the name of the young boy that was killed in a shooting Saturday morning.

At 8:36 a.m. officers were called to a home in the 2900 block of Boyd Avenue after a 911 call came in saying the child had been shot. When they arrived, the officers found a boy with a gunshot wound to the chest.

The boy was immediately rushed to Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center, and was in critical condition.

Less than an hour later, the boy was pronounced dead at 9:24 a.m. The victim has been identified as 3 year old Jordan Kenneth Jones.

The investigation revealed that at approximately 8:30 a.m. the victim and his 4 year old brother were inside their mother's bedroom. Their mother, who was in another room in the house, heard a gunshot and went into her bedroom to find Jordan suffering from a gunshot wound to the upper chest and neck area.

"You never know what a child is going to do or what they are capable of," said Carroll Smith, Killeen Police Department. "They are certainly a lot more than we give them credit for. Things like this, it's very sad that something like this happened."

The mother had put the 9mm gun atop the chest of drawers out of reach of the children, but at some point the 4 year old gained access to the weapon and shot his 3 year old brother.

Killeen Police are continuing to investigate this incident.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Small kids and guns don't mix, If there are small children in your home keep your guns locked, if not and you have older kids train them gun safety, take them to the range.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Such a sad story. Gun safety and awareness does not stop when you remove your side arm. Sadly the mother learned this lesson and lost a child. I'm not perfect, none of us are. I have been guilty of doing the very same thing! I'll be sure to secure my weapon properly after this story.

It only takes a second to happen and then a lifetime of living with something tragic.

Things like this should never happen but they do sadly.

Similar tragedy in Ashland, KY last year nearby my hometown in WV. Young couple distracted by putting an infant in a car seat. Two year old finds daddy's 9mm in center console, shoots herself in the face and dies right there in front of them. The dad was a KY carry permit holder and decided not to take the handgun with him as they went into a restaurant. The child got the handgun as they were leaving to go home.

This should not have happend either. You cannot ever be too careful with a loaded handgun. Ever.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    Small kids and guns don't mix, If there are small children in your home keep your guns locked, if not and you have older kids train them gun safety, take them to the range.
    -
    I couldn't agree more.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    I hear this frequently and certainly agree, but it's not enough. I completely trust my son around guns, but he has his idiot friends over all the time (some of whom have never held a gun in their life). If you have kids, no matter the age, the guns need to be locked up.

Got a fancy hiding place that no one will ever find? B.S. - Kids can and will find anything and everything.

Admission: Back before I got religion about keeping everything locked up, I used to keep a .45 in an overhead ceiling tile in my basement. Mind you, there are hundreds of ceiling tiles in my basement and the tile I chose was no where near where someone not as tall as I am could get it without a ladder. Yup, my rug-rat found it. Fortunately, where he may be a snoop, he's also obsessively honest and told me that he found it, but didn't touch it. I continue to thank God that my lesson was so easy.
    Freedom Doc likes this.

A story like this makes me want to run home and give my 4 year old daughter a hug. The rule in my house is a gun is either in a holster, in the safe or disassembled for cleaning. I won't even set my gun down outside the safe while I change my clothes. I'm not passing judgement. I feel terrible for everyone involved and hope they can put their lives back together at some point.

Years ago I use to keep a gun in my toolbox until one of my son's friends told me "I know where your gun is". Don't take anything for granted. I was fortunate that when my son showed it to him nobody touched or grabbed at it. That was the hidden one that I thought no one would find. All others at that time were in the safe. All are safely stored in safes and quick access handgun safes now even without kids in the house daily.

Gun-proof your children...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I tried to hide the cookie jar on top of the refrigerator for my 3 yr old (at the time). I left the room 1 minutes and was back into the room, and when I came back he was on top of the refrigerator eating cookies. To this day, we have not been able to figure out how he could have climbed up there. They are "quick".

There is no 3 yr old you can prevent from getting to something, unless it's locked.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sponsored Links