Good, Bad, Ugly: 3 for 1, the cost of a righteous shoot

This is a discussion on Good, Bad, Ugly: 3 for 1, the cost of a righteous shoot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For those of us who say it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by six: Here's a perfect example of what it might ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Good, Bad, Ugly: 3 for 1, the cost of a righteous shoot

Good, Bad, Ugly: 3 for 1, the cost of a righteous shoot

For those of us who say it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by six:

Here's a perfect example of what it might cost you in a perfectly justified (acquitted by the jury) shooting.

Road rage and a resultant crash turned ugly. CCW holder charged with two counts of intimidation with a dangerous weapon and one of going armed with intent because he didn't back down or retreat.

Since he was jailed, and couldn't afford the $225,000 CASH bail, he was evicted from his apartment. His belongings put on the curb. He lost his other guns and a laptop, as well as his clothing and furniture.

And, since he couldn't post the bail, he spent 112 days in jail.

Now he's out. A free man... hoping to get transferred back to Kansas City (from Des Moines, Iowa)... He'll feel safer there (wow, KC's pretty rough, I hear)?

So, here's the Des Moines Register version
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Makes me appreciate my large family even more! Thanx!
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Pretty crumby on his apartment situation and how they handled it. But he is alive to tell his tale and will probably right a new book #5 and make millions. I hope

He got a pretty raw deal! All his belongings gone! I'd be very bitter and would be so out of there! I agree he should write a book about it, I'd buy a copy.
    W9HDG likes this.

About half way down in the article is a link to a QuickTime audio of the 911 call... Well worth listening to.

Please don't incriminate yourself in a 911 call... Makes things a bit harder to defend..
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Makes you think about the shooters insurance programs... if he had a plan how things could have been different.

as always we don't get the whole story but this is in question: "West Des Moines police arrested Lewis for failing to back off and avoid the gunplay. He was charged with two counts of intimidation with a dangerous weapon and one of going armed with intent."

When and where are you supposed to back off...? Are they talking about the race down the street or after they got out?

How disappointing. Why the DA would proceed with prosecution of a case like this is beyond me. I pray that I never have to use my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Makes you think about the shooters insurance programs... if he had a plan how things could have been different.

as always we don't get the whole story but this is in question: "West Des Moines police arrested Lewis for failing to back off and avoid the gunplay. He was charged with two counts of intimidation with a dangerous weapon and one of going armed with intent."

When and where are you supposed to back off...? Are they talking about the race down the street or after they got out?
    The "insurance plans" would only have reimbursed his legal fees...Would not have Bailed him out to $225,000.00 cash. Would not have gotten his clothing guns and furnishings back...

BEFORE you decide to use your gun you had DARNED well know you are in the right to do so... this man is very lucky... and had a good attorney (which one of the insurance plans would have paid for).
    8th ID likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I think it sounds not only like Des Moines is a place I will never visit, it is a place that should be avoided at all cost if you value freedom and self protection.

So you have two men who have not only already attacked you, but now they are trying to sneak up on you again after you have repeatedly demanded they back off and not approach you while you have a gun in your hand. From the alcohol content in the attacker's blood, he was tanked up, but that does not mean you won't be beaten unconscious or killed by two drunks.

But, hmmm, if you shoot them, you are wrong because you "did not try to disengage," which in an open space is impossible. If you run, they can attack you from behind. If you get back in the car they can shoot you where you sit.

The worst statement of all for me was the prosecutor saying, “I don’t know why people are afraid of jury trials. I’m not.” Yeah, that's because you get PAID to be there, whereas the person on trial either has to pony up large amounts of cash or sit in jail and hope for a decent public defender.

And I noticed the prosecutor campaigned against a reasonable amendment that would allow use of force without backing down.

Can't prove it but I am willing to bet he is an avid anti-gun person also.
    mano3 likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Iowa's getting better... we are trying to get a stand your ground law, to solidify the state preemption of CCW permitted places and so on... we are improving... really.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Ya know, folks have suggested that I might want to hang up my guns what with all the "thinking" I have to do before I decide to un-conceal/brandish/draw/actually fire my weapon...

To me, this article proves the point that you have to think about this stuff... and do it before you get involved, before you decide that all your potential problems will be solved if you wear a gun...

Draw your own "line in the sand" before you carry... When would you pull/draw/fire? What if it's somebody else besides you or your loved ones who is (are) threatened?

Every situation is different, of course... but you can make the rough determinations before you ever rig up... and finally, you need to know that once the line is crossed... you can take another's life, without remorse.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I'm really surprised this story hasn't gotten more "traction" here on DC...

This is a real account of what CAN happen in the case of a self defense shooting... It bears witness to everything that MitchellCT has ever said about the need to know when and where to pull the trigger... And it's something that could happen to many of us here... if we ever feel we need to use our weapons in self defense...

I'm just surprised there hasn't been more discussion on it... Hmmm...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

A follow up article on this story: Here

Lewis, who returned to his Iowa job Tuesday after spending several days in Kansas, spent much of the last few nights reading. He’s slept in his car, and showered and shaved at local truck stops.

“I don’t know if I’m going to pull it off for that long. I’m probably going to check into a shelter in the next few days,” Lewis said. “But you know, I’m having a hard time bringing myself to doing that. I don’t know why.”
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Look at it this way. He is alive and free. No one ever said it would be easy. There are no guaranties in life. I feel for him. But look at the big picture..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Why did both cars race down the street? Exchanged profanities after the wreck? I believe there is a lot more to what really happened.
    8th ID likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links