Jumping from frying pan into the fire

This is a discussion on Jumping from frying pan into the fire within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What will he try next. Occupy Wall Street protester John Scott DeKuyper brings gun to court date Occupier arrested in October for trying to yank ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Jumping from frying pan into the fire

What will he try next.

Occupy Wall Street protester John Scott DeKuyper brings gun to court date

Occupier arrested in October for trying to yank badge off of NYPD Chief of Department Joseph Esposito

Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 11:25 PM

MARC A. HERMANN FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    John DeKuyper appears in Manhattan Criminal Court this evening where he was arraigned for bringing a Derringer-type pistol into the courthouse at 100 Centre St. earlier today.

DeKuyper, a motel owner from Delaware, was answering a ticket stemming from an Occupy Wall Street incident when court officers operating the X-ray machine spotted the weapon.

John Scott DeKuyper arrived for a Wednesday court hearing at the wrong building while carrying a Colt .45 pistol in his leather backpack, police and court officials said.

DeKuyper, 53, was also toting cartridges for the unloaded handgun in his bag when he was handcuffed at the weapon screening area inside 100 Centre St. around 11:30 a.m.

The Lewes, Del., resident said he was licensed to carry the weapon in another state before adding this was “the stupidest thing he’d ever done,” said Lt. Pete Dolan.
    Or maybe it was in the top two.

DeKuyper was first arrested last Oct. 15 while trying to yank the badge off the shirt of NYPD Chief of Department Joseph Esposito during a Times Square rally, according to a criminal complaint.

DeKuyper was charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and attempted grand larceny. He was supposed to be at 346 Broadway for that hearing.

He was held on $50,000 cash bail Wednesday on the gun charge.

His lawyers said he is a married father of two who is battling cancer.

Attorney Lawrence Linzer said his client would “have to be an idiot” if he thought he could get the weapon past security. He said DeKuyper “merely forgot” he had the gun in his bag.

Occupy Wall Street protester John Scott DeKuyper brings gun to court date - NY Daily News

Greatest line Attorney Lawrence Linzer said his client would “have to be an idiot” if he thought he could get the weapon past security.

VIP Member
    "was charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and attempted grand larceny"

Don't know what that is all about, but it says he is licensed in Delaware. Another example of why we need HR822
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    What a moron.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    "was charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and attempted grand larceny"

Don't know what that is all about, but it says he is licensed in Delaware. Another example of why we need HR822
    I don't think HR 822 is gonna fix STUPID,even if let's say we could carry in all 50 states,you damn sure can't carry into a COURTHOUSE
    garyacman and msgt/ret like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Hop - the charges you listed are not in connection with the weapon at the courthouse, but in connection to the perp's actions at the Occupy Wall Street rally. This is not a reason we need HR822 as it has nothing to do with HR822.

The weapons charge, on the otherhand, could be seen as an HR822 issue except for the fact he was trying to get it into a courthouse. That would not be acceptable even if HR822 were law as NY had the ability to make courthouses off limits to firearms and you would have to abide by that even if you were legal to carry elsewhere in NYC.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

When are people going to learn about NY gun laws. How many new reports are needed.....Good Lord...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

What a maroon.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

The only place that is now going to be 'occupied' is a jail cell.
    gunthorp and msgt/ret like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Today I had to go to the court house to purchase my license plate stickers then to the post office to mail a package to my son. I "triple" checked that my holster was empty and "triple" checked my weapon was secured in my vehicle. Like it or not, the law is the law and it's YOUR responsibility as a CCW / HCP holder to abide by the law. Legally, there is no such thing as ignorance of the law or I forgot.

If you carry a lethal weapon, it's your responsibility to conduct yourself accordingly. JMHO...

I had to got to traffic court here in Nassau yesterday, (Rental customer got a ticket) so I placed my papers and coins in the basket and walked thru the metal detector and when I beeped I explained I need to go check in with the Nassau County police officer (They have a private office in the court house and act as a go between the public and court personal).

The funny thing is the officer still wanded me and explaining I had a firearm?

The door was 1/2 way open and knocked on the door and was called in. I explained I have a firearm I need to check in. She asked for my license. She gave it a quick once over and then asked for the firearm. I removed the firearm from my smartcarry and then removed the SC and placed firearm back in holster. She took my firearm and ID and locked them in a locker. She asked for the tickets and told me to have a seat in the courtroom. She walked my papers into the courtroom which saved me a bunch of time since I did not have to wait on the long long long line.

After the tickets were dismissed I walked back in the room and she unlocked the locker, I geared up. She was discussing with one of the staff attorneys ( Who was going to officiate the wedding) the up coming wedding of her son. Chatted about weddings in general for a minute. To be honest I was worried since it was my first time checking a firearm at court but it could not have been any easier. Kinda look forward to going next time.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Simply amazing!

Courthouse carry is legal in Iowa.

???> Carry in court rooms is up to the judge and always has been.<??? - or so I hear.

Some Subdivisions in Iowa have passed "resolutions" against carry on "public properties" which would include Courthouses but if there are no metal detectors and you are smartly dressed and behave like a gentleman then the non sequitur will stay dormant. Trying to get your weapon through metal detectors will definitely release the non sequitur.

As to Mr. DeKuyper...

Banksters must be paying this juy to be criminal, and OVER the top in your face, distructively stupid... somebody say this juy is being treated for cancer...maybe he wants to end up in a prison hospital....

VIP Member
    In MN you can send a notification letter to the sheriff, your name will be put on a list, and you can carry in that county's courthouse. Anything Federal is still off limits. NYC? There's a reason God put those people on an island.
    CaptSmith likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Hop - the charges you listed are not in connection with the weapon at the courthouse, but in connection to the perp's actions at the Occupy Wall Street rally. This is not a reason we need HR822 as it has nothing to do with HR822.

The weapons charge, on the otherhand, could be seen as an HR822 issue except for the fact he was trying to get it into a courthouse. That would not be acceptable even if HR822 were law as NY had the ability to make courthouses off limits to firearms and you would have to abide by that even if you were legal to carry elsewhere in NYC.
    I stand corrected. I thought the disorderly was part of the gun charge and not the occupy stuff.

Still, he'd be better off with 822. At least he'd have been in legal possession instead of totally illegal possession.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links