Really Bad: School shooting

This is a discussion on Really Bad: School shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Five students shot at Ohio high school – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs Such a shame. I'm sure there will be plenty of details ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Really Bad: School shooting

Five students shot at Ohio high school – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Such a shame. I'm sure there will be plenty of details in the following days.

Dave
    Taurus PT 640 Pro

This crap needs to stop, what the heck is wrong with people. What does it take for all teaches to be trained on firearms and open carry in schools to maybe scare these idiots into attempting this crap?
    Badey and mano3 like this.

Shooting reported at Ohio high school - CNN.com

A few more details in this article.

Dave
    Taurus PT 640 Pro

This really makes me think.

Our son is entering Middle School this coming year. We tend to think that this type of thing could never happen to us because we live in a nice town as well as on the "right" side of town.

I am sure that this happened in a nice upstanding area similar to the area we live in. As parents, what are we supposed to do? I like to think that when my son walks into the school, he is safe.

I don't want to scare my son. But I think it is important that I take some time and advise him on what to do if he is faced with this type of situation. Namely run, run, and run some more. If not in the area he should listen to the staff, seek shelter and remain silent.

Couple years ago I was taking some courses at our local Community College. They had drills for this sort of thing. In fact there was an incident that was created by a mis-communication that placed the campus on lockdown. It turns out there wasn't a threat but they were able to see that their plan was flawed.

What happened to the good old days when people would fist-fight and shake hands when it was over???

Dave
    Taurus PT 640 Pro

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    "where not in a place where that happens" said a parent
    "This stuff doesn't happen here at..." said another parent

comments like that are within the underlying troubled nature of why these things continue to happen

denial does not set one in a direction yielding resolution of a situation
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This is the high school that I attended and graduated from, in the town I grew up in. The shooter was apprehended at a location a couple of miles from my parents home.

It is a fairly affluent, small, mostly rural peaceful community with VERY low crime, typical of a medium to upscale suburb. It is absolutely unbelievable for something like this to happen there. This is not what you would consider a "city" school by any means. Of course any school has its share of drugs, mostly weed, and what not, but this place is (was) very mild compared to most.

No idea as of yet as to what prompted it but have to wonder what drove them to this.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

who ever gave him access to the gun needs to held equally responsible.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "
    What happened to the good old days when people would fist-fight and shake hands when it was over???"

So true. Of all the guys I engaged in a fight--win or lose--not one remained a nemesis afterwards. Most became buddies of on level or another. I guess the simple fact that I faced up to them won mutual respect.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    "where not in a place where that happens" said a parent
    "This stuff doesn't happen here at..." said another parent

comments like that are within the underlying troubled nature of why these things continue to happen

denial does not set one in a direction yielding resolution of a situation
    Usually these kind of quotes are set up by the reporter, "Ma'am, Did you expect something like this would happen here at your school?" (Prepare to copy soundbyte).
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

It could never happen here--until it does. Nowhere is immune. I agree that whoever allowed the student to get the gun should be held responsible also. In fact I think that's the law anyway.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    http://mobile.cleveland.com/advcleve...ex=0&pn=0&ps=1

The link above provides some new details.

Trying not to draw early conclusions, but I am getting the impression that this may have been over an ex-girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this. I hunted and had access to long guns when I was in high school, however, I did not have access to handguns without my father present...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Sorry, but whoever did whatever is not equally responsible, unless, of course, they helped pull the trigger.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    It is a fairly affluent, small, mostly rural peaceful community with VERY low crime, typical of a medium to upscale suburb. It is absolutely unbelievable for something like this to happen there. This is not what you would consider a "city" school by any means. Of course any school has its share of drugs, mostly weed, and what not, but this place is (was) very mild compared to most.
    This.

I've lived in NE-Ohio since 1997, the near-eastern suburbs of Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Orange, etc. I've wanted to move out to Geauga/Chardon ever since my wife decided to have our daughter at their regional hospital (she's a physician, a pediatrician, at the teaching hospital closest to us - she wanted some privacy). There's land/property, which I like - and since I like snow, it's in the primary snow-belt.

They're *SUCH* nice people, there.

I went back to Geauga, which is a 40 minute drive for me, to get my Ohio-CHL, because of what I'd read on our Ohioans for Concealed Carry Forums. Again, nice people. Our Forum Supporting Vendor, Top Gun Supply, is out there, too. And look at this not-too-long-ago Blog entry by a fellow 2Aer: The Gun Guy Next Door: Silly girl, good guys have guns too! .

It's a nice, quiet place.

Of-course, everyone says this, but I never imagined something like this could happen, in such a community.

Prayers for all involved.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    This is the high school that I attended and graduated from, in the town I grew up in. The shooter was apprehended at a location a couple of miles from my parents home.

No idea as of yet as to what prompted it but have to wonder what drove them to this.

Things like this can happen anywhere, and do, as exampled. When the shooter is a student, bullying is usually the cause of the shooting. Bullying also can and does happen everywhere.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links