Why Chicago cops should not have guns

This is a discussion on Why Chicago cops should not have guns within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Chicago Cop Accidentally Shoots Himself In Leg During Chase (VIDEO) Cop Shot by Discharging Gun During Chase near Rainbow Beach: MyFoxCHICAGO.com A Chicago police officer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Why Chicago cops should not have guns

Why Chicago cops should not have guns

Chicago Cop Accidentally Shoots Himself In Leg During Chase (VIDEO)

Cop Shot by Discharging Gun During Chase near Rainbow Beach: MyFoxCHICAGO.com

A Chicago police officer was injured early Monday when his own gun accidentally discharged, shooting him in the leg, while he was chasing an allegedly armed suspect.

The incident reportedly followed a car chase that began around 1:56 a.m. when a man jumped out of his vehicle and fled during a traffic stop, the Fox Chicago reports. Officers followed the suspect on foot and recovered the weapon, but someone also drove off in the vehicle, prompting a car chase.

During the nearly six-mile chase that began in Englewood, the suspect's vehicle reportedly crashed into a fence and "slingshot" back at the pursuing officers, causing them to jump out of the way, the Chicago Tribune reports. While dodging the car, one officer's weapon accidentally discharged, firing a shot into his leg.

The officer is in good condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, officials told the Chicago Sun-Times. Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden told the newspaper that the bullet went through the officer's calf, breaking a bone.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Chicago Cop Accidentally Shoots Himself In Leg During Chase (VIDEO)

...While dodging the car, one officer accidentally discharged his weapon, firing a shot into his leg.
    ...fixed!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Booger hook OFF the bang switch...even for the pro's.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

lots of limping people in Chicago

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Well, you know those Glock Automatics... They're all black and evil. It was only a matter of time before it shot someone. Kind of like a Pit-Bull- they'll turn on you for no reason.

I'm sorry that the man got shot, but, if you can't keep your finger off the trigger when you're not on target, you almost deserve the repercussions. That is one of the most important gun rules, and it seems that he broke it. Harsh, I know, but... I bet he learned some trigger safety immediately after that.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Sounds to as if this cop had an adrenaline rush and was getting out of the way when the car came back at them! had weapon drawn and sh** happened.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    My sympathies here are with the cop. Bad situation to be in and stuff happens in the heat of the moment-- and often
    it isn't good stuff. I'm sure from the scenario that the officer had darn good reason to have had his gun in his hand,
    and given the bedlam going on, I'm not going to second guess or criticize what was an error, but quite an understandable error
    for the circumstance. We'd maybe all be singing a different story if the back stop was the BG instead of the cop's leg.

IMO cop get the benefit of the doubt here, maybe even a pat on the back.
    WD54241 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    His mission in life is to serve as a warning to others. The officer negligently discharged his weapon. Do you think I would be given the benefit of the doubt in a similar situation? We are all personally responsible and accountable for our actions. Just because someone is part of the police state, he shouldn't get a free pass. When enough voters allow the "only ones" to get away with "the gun accidentally discharged," we are well on the road to serfdom.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Since nobody should have a gun in the state of IL. Everyone should be safe. No need for the cops to have any type of firearm.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Should of had it pointed at the car IMHO

Hope he recovers soon

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Since nobody should have a gun in the state of IL. Everyone should be safe. No need for the cops to have any type of firearm.
    Ya know, that's a good point... Bobbies don't carry guns. Guns are as illegal in UK as they are in Chicago... Why do CPD need guns anyway? I mean you could have some armed specialty units... But the average LEO in Chicago ought to be like a Bobby, give him a whistle instead.

If that were the case, I think you'd see even CPD say "It's not so bad that average Joe/law abiding citizen can be armed... now, give us our guns back!"
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Better himself than someone else. Hope he gets better quickly.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I lump Chicago PD in with NYCPD, DCPD, and LAPD.... until you take a stand and stop enforcing these ridiculous gun laws that blatantly violate your free citizens 2d amendment rights.... i have no sympathy for your plights.

Maybe the Cop shot himself so he could take early retirement and get a pension...It is Chicago
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    ^FUNNY^^^^^^^^^duk^^^^^^^^!!

Buddy of mine was a police officer in Warren Mi.
    Back in the early '90's he was only on the force for a year or two, and he was chasing a punk down an alley near Dequindre and Eight mile, and he rounds the corner of a bldg. and the thug is pointing a pistol at him, he (my buddy)blasts one off into the ground as he was more or less pointing it there as he was running and did an about face and beat it back around the bldg.. Back up arrived and the punk gave up.
    He was scared poopless
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links