Good, not wise: Involvement in a domestic dispute.

This is a discussion on Good, not wise: Involvement in a domestic dispute. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The outcome was good... the wisdom of getting involved in a domestic dispute is questionable... If the pros don't like 'em and know the dangers, ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By Bark'n
  • 1 Post By JDE101

Thread: Good, not wise: Involvement in a domestic dispute.

Good, not wise: Involvement in a domestic dispute.

The outcome was good... the wisdom of getting involved in a domestic dispute is questionable... If the pros don't like 'em and know the dangers, it's probably best to call 911 and witness...

Marple, PA.

Story Here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

What gets me is the woman running to the bathroom to hide and call 911. Sadly, if the ex-boyfriend had really wanted her dead, he would have been inside and done long before the police could arrive to protect her.

She would have been better served with a firearm of her own and plenty of training for her own self protection, but too often the Antis scare women into believing they could never safely handle a gun, much less protect themselves.

Glad the neighbor showed up armed.

Could have been much worse and too many times is.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Glad it turned out ok. As for me, you get only one "drop the gun", then it's your decision of you get shot.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Glad to hear that the neighbor was able to help and that there are still people who understand what being a good neighbor means.

I would've done the same thing, but I admit my first concern would have been what do I do if this crazy guy turns that gun on me? Could I react fast enough? Glad the neighbor didn't have to find out the answers to those questions.

I would've done the same thing, but I admit my first concern would have been what do I do if this crazy guy turns that gun on me? Could I react fast enough?
    If I'm drawn down on a guy that just fired a weapon into a residence he gets one drop the gun mfer,at that point I'm starting the squeeze and if his gun ain't dropping within #4 pounds trigger pressure they both will be.
    It's very possible that this guy showing up may have prevented the abusive low life pos from breaching the door and killing her
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's not as if Matthew Cook wasn't already a loser... But after this incident, his life is through.

I get mildly amused at stupid people who throw their lives away over a relationship gone sour. Drive on, dude! It's not worth it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    Glad to hear that the neighbor was able to help and that there are still people who understand what being a good neighbor means.

I would've done the same thing, but I admit my first concern would have been what do I do if this crazy guy turns that gun on me? Could I react fast enough? Glad the neighbor didn't have to find out the answers to those questions.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions, they say. Then the lady sues you, because he was really a good guy, and they were just getting things ironed out.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Hey,
    Matthew Cook,,,,,

Here's your sign!!!!!!

Neighbor was lucky the boys didn't show up just after the chump ran away, or he might have been
    swiss cheese.
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

"Call 911 and be a good witness" did not give us the America I love. It is however, taking it in a direction that I don't like.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    "Call 911 and be a good witness" did not give us the America I love. It is however, taking it in a direction that I don't like.
    Make sure you wear a reflective CCW sash, so the LEOs don't mistake you for the MWAG/10-32.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

There are hundreds if not thousands of reported cases each year of citizens preventing or stopping a crime using a firearm.
    I can maybe recall 1 example of a "good guy" being mistaken for a "bad guy" by police.

The reason - The police usually show up minutes after the encounter, which is usually over in a matter of seconds.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I guess my layman's take on this is that a crazy guy with a gun (who has proven intent by already firing one round at the house) is a threat to everybody within lethal range of that weapon. Maybe the neighbor had kids at home--a crazy guy with a gun is then a threat to his family as well..... Good situation for a HD shotgun with 00 buck or maybe an AR (although the shotgun is probably more intimidating).......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Glad things turned out OK, but they could have gone wrong for the neighbor in SO many different ways! Domestic disputes are one of the worst things you can get in the middle of! The ex-boyfriend could have turned and fired at the good neighbor,forcing him to shoot. He could have been shot, he could have shot the ex, the former girl friend could then have claimed the ex-boyfriend wouldn't really have hurt her and the neighbor shot him for no reason, leaving the good samaritan hanging out to dry! The LEOs could have mistaken the neighbor for the ex-boyfriend if he was still holding his gun, etc, etc, etc. A bad situation all the way around! Call 911 and be a good witness!

Now, if you are a bachelor and have no one else depending on you, and you want to risk your own life and fortune being a "hero" that is one thing. If you have a wife and family that depends on you for their livelyhood, don't be a "hero"! You could end up dead, in jail, or spending years and all your $$$ defending yourself if the situatiion "went bad". Just my .02!
    oakchas likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Glad things turned out OK, but they could have gone wrong for the neighbor in SO many different ways! Domestic disputes are one of the worst things you can get in the middle of! The ex-boyfriend could have turned and fired at the good neighbor,forcing him to shoot. He could have been shot, he could have shot the ex, the former girl friend could then have claimed the ex-boyfriend wouldn't really have hurt her and the neighbor shot him for no reason, leaving the good samaritan hanging out to dry! The LEOs could have mistaken the neighbor for the ex-boyfriend if he was still holding his gun, etc, etc, etc. A bad situation all the way around! Call 911 and be a good witness!

Now, if you are a bachelor and have no one else depending on you, and you want to risk your own life and fortune being a "hero" that is one thing. If you have a wife and family that depends on you for their livelyhood, don't be a "hero"! You could end up dead, in jail, or spending years and all your $$$ defending yourself if the situatiion "went bad". Just my .02!
    I can agree with this...

But, there be heroes about...

Domestic disputes are best handled by LEO. LEO has your tax dollars to back him in the "wrongful death" suit filed by the ex-lover hiding in the bathroom. Your backup? How big is your savings account?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post

She would have been better served with a firearm of her own and plenty of training for her own self protection, but too often the Antis scare women into believing they could never safely handle a gun, much less protect themselves.

Glad the neighbor showed up armed.

Could have been much worse and too many times is.
    We're talking about an event that happened in rural PA (anyplace not in Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, or Philly). In rural PA it's hard to find a household that doesn't have a gun of some sort, usually several (mostly shotguns and deer rifles). The woman being attacked is about 4 hours from having a CCW and her own gun if she makes a direct appeal to the local Sheriff and can pass the instant background check. She's an hour from owning her own handgun, shotgun, or rifle if she wants one.

Two weeks to get a CCW if she just follows the normal procedures. No class required. In any event, here you can walk into the store, walk out with the gun if you can pay for it. And I expect she probably will do that if she has the money.

Not a lot of anti's in rural PA.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Links