Good, I guess: CCW holder stands between BG and hostages?

This is a discussion on Good, I guess: CCW holder stands between BG and hostages? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Story is written poorly. Here it is Most of the other stories on this are the same, copied from the AP wire......

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ppkheat

Thread: Good, I guess: CCW holder stands between BG and hostages?

Good, I guess: CCW holder stands between BG and hostages?

Story is written poorly.

Here it is

Most of the other stories on this are the same, copied from the AP wire...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Chl holder gets little mention for what he did

Story bounced around, Glad it had a good ending. I'm a bit confused with the permit holder, If I'm not mistaken the CC hid and did not actually confront BG.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    It is not clear if Dr. Ferguson (CHL holder) had his gun "out" or perhaps had it either fully or partially hidden while he was "standing between the gunman and the hostages". Reading between the lines, it only makes sense he would keep it hidden.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I don't think anyone can disagree that that he handled the situation pretty well. He protected himself and others without creating unnecessary risks.
    The reward for work well done is more work.

WIsh the story did not just say that he stood between them, but still good that he defended other people, maybe others will consider carrying there now.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Chl holder gets little mention for what he did
    What did he do? He got his gun? He stood there?

Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    Story bounced around, Glad it had a good ending. I'm a bit confused with the permit holder, If I'm not mistaken the CC hid and did not actually confront BG.
    Sure is hard to tell from the story isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    It is not clear if Dr. Ferguson (CHL holder) had his gun "out" or perhaps had it either fully or partially hidden while he was "standing between the gunman and the hostages". Reading between the lines, it only makes sense he would keep it hidden.
    You're a better man than me to read between the lines of this story: no lines, a drunkards path.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmrj View Post
    I don't think anyone can disagree that that he handled the situation pretty well. He protected himself and others without creating unnecessary risks.
    Okay, he had a gun and didn't use it...

Quote Originally Posted by killam1357 View Post
    WIsh the story did not just say that he stood between them, but still good that he defended other people, maybe others will consider carrying there now.
    I really want to know what he did do... and there is no more on the story yet...

I sat here at home while this was actually going on, with my gun on my hip, to protect the rest of the world to the east of Colorado, or at least Iowa, from the evildoer.

See? I didn't DO anything either...

The story is poooooorly written.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    I read in the story that the doctor "retrieved his gun from its storage place and protected an exit as an estimated 50 people fled down a stairway." Whether he had a holster or not is not clear. I presume, that with a potential shooter, he just grabbed a gun and didn't waste time with a holster, in thinking about that it's likely he had the gun in his hand, though he may have been discreet about it. I hope, in that situation, I could be discreet, I'd hate to be accidentally killed by a responding officer suddenly seeing MWAG.

If he was protecting an exit as it states, then it seems to me that he was watching a door, and waiting for all the people to exit while he watched their backs in case the shooter were to suddenly appear. The doctor stated, "If this guy opens this door, I'm going to have to shoot him," Ferguson said. "I was absolutely prepared to shoot him, yes."

In reading the story it seems to me he grabbed a gun, made way to an exit, being armed he covered that exit area until it was vacated and then exited himself.
    claude clay likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

At least they got the ending correct!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

That's the way I read it ppk.
    The reward for work well done is more work.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    all the what-ifs and the most favored answer--'id have to know wll of what is happening before i would get involved'

well....thats what/where he was and how he did what was proper for the situation.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I read in the story that the doctor "retrieved his gun from its storage place and protected an exit as an estimated 50 people fled down a stairway." Whether he had a holster or not is not clear. I presume, that with a potential shooter, he just grabbed a gun and didn't waste time with a holster, in thinking about that it's likely he had the gun in his hand, though he may have been discreet about it. I hope, in that situation, I could be discreet, I'd hate to be accidentally killed by a responding officer suddenly seeing MWAG.

If he was protecting an exit as it states, then it seems to me that he was watching a door, and waiting for all the people to exit while he watched their backs in case the shooter were to suddenly appear. The doctor stated, "If this guy opens this door, I'm going to have to shoot him," Ferguson said. "I was absolutely prepared to shoot him, yes."

In reading the story it seems to me he grabbed a gun, made way to an exit, being armed he covered that exit area until it was vacated and then exited himself.
    I read it as well, just couldn't determine if he was anywhere near "the actor and the actions"... I would rather the story be more descriptive and better favor the case of a CCW permitted citizen looking out for his fellows. Rather than "He had a gun and stood there..." on re-reading, it isn't as bad as my first read... but it still seems lacking to me.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    all the what-ifs and the most favored answer--'id have to know wll of what is happening before i would get involved'

well....thats what/where he was and how he did what was proper for the situation.
    Which what-ifs? in this story or in this thread...

Agreed he did what was proper for the situation... but I didn't see anyone really second guessing or what-ifing on this thread...

Guy with hostages in the building... I can lead some/many to safety, and watch their backs, sure that's appropriate... I don't need to know what BG is doing in that case... or know what was happening before I got involved... I am involved. Others may come along.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

He did what I would have done,he secured an exit,allowed people to escape,and was ready to shoot the guy if he came into his field of fire.Good Job
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links