Bad: Homeowner shot with his own gun

This is a discussion on Bad: Homeowner shot with his own gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; While trying to stop a home invader... Story here...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hiram25

Thread: Bad: Homeowner shot with his own gun

Bad: Homeowner shot with his own gun

While trying to stop a home invader...

Story here
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

That is unfortunate news for the homeowner in question, but isn't it great that we live in a country where we're able to exercise our right to defend our homes? I'd rather attempt to defend my home and fail, than be helpless and hope that things work out OK.

Time to book that home defense course at Firearms Academy of Seattle....

-relative newbie

If you have someone in your house, and you don't have others to worry about, let the BG come to you, then shoot him when he enters the doorway to your room. You do not want to wind up in a wrestling match with the BG!
    WHEC724 and sgb like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If you have someone in your house, and you don't have others to worry about, let the BG come to you, then shoot him when he enters the doorway to your room. You do not want to wind up in a wrestling match with the BG!
    absolutely agree 100% with this. Once with my wife and son your coming to me!

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Sounds like maybe he hesitated too long to SHOOT the jerk. You come at someone like that with a gun, you'd best be ready to USE it.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    reporting leaves much unsaid and he's 80.....

now its not like im gonna say that over 76 and making up their mind may be an iffy project;
    cause i know people who have that already beat by 20 years.

but lets hope he recovers and the punk (white dude--imagine that ) gets some
    butt-high time in prison.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Once someone is close, it can be ridiculously easy to be disarmed-- especially if the assailant is a young fast guy.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Yep. The story leaves a lot of blanks to be filled in, but here is my rule # 1.

Unless you have tactical training on clearing corners and rooms with a firearm, then stay put if at all possible and let the Bad Guy walk into the fatal funnel of the doorway to your room, then light'em up.

Shotguns are terrible for clearing a corner in a house if you do not know what you are doing and have not practiced a lot, since all one has to do is reach out from a blind spot and grab that long barrel and twist.

I prefer a good handgun.

My shotgun or AR are ok for me, but only because I have trained a lot with them for duty use in clearing of buildings, but most people minus that training will lead with that barrel and not pie the corners correctly, leaving them vulnerable.

And last, you have to be able to identify that target quickly (make sure it is not a family member coming in late and drunk) and then be willing to pull that trigger without mercy if necessary.

Hope the homeowner is as ok as can be.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

I just love my home (2 story); the stairway is the choke point for any BG trying to get upstairs. It would literally be a slaughter.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Well, if the guy was essentially 'clearing' his house, we know that's in general a bad idea, as you say especially with a shotgun. Maybe he was hoping the noise he heard was harmless; I know my cat is always making noise (knocking things down and stuff). Here's hoping the guy recovers OK.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Links