Crash victim stabs firefighters, shoots at Fire & EMS personnel (Eastern Shore VA)

This is a discussion on Crash victim stabs firefighters, shoots at Fire & EMS personnel (Eastern Shore VA) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Va. Beach man stabbed two firefighters | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com A Virginia Beach man stabbed two firefighters and fired a gun at rescue personnel ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 1 Post By MattInFla
  • 2 Post By MattInFla
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: Crash victim stabs firefighters, shoots at Fire & EMS personnel (Eastern Shore VA)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Crash victim stabs firefighters, shoots at Fire & EMS personnel (Eastern Shore VA)

Police: Va. Beach man stabbed two firefighters | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

A Virginia Beach man stabbed two firefighters and fired a gun at rescue personnel today, police said.

The man was involved in a single-vehicle accident in the 12000 block of Lankford Highway in Accomack County at about 6:42 a.m.
    Unconfirmed reports the perp is a Virginia Beach LEO!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

They should have hit him in the head with a axe. This sounds like drugs to me, some meth head on a three day binge
    Sig 210 likes this.

VIP Member
    I've never understood why anyone would want to restrict EMT personnel from carrying.

I'm honestly surprised that we don't hear of this sort of thing more often. Be safe Paramedic70002.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Virginia State Police have warrants charging a Virginia Beach police officer in a stabbing Sunday of two firefighters on the Eastern Shore.
    HUH ??????????
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Moderator
    I'm going through EMT school right now and last week just had our little five minute conversation about "cover and concealment," letting the police clear the scene and calling them for patients who get violent. I was REALLY shocked to find out that some agencies won't even let EMS personnel carry pepper spray... Seriously? Throw them a bone!!

Senior Moderator
    I wonder if this guy had an underlying medical condition that caused the crash and left him confused, or if he sustained a head injury in the crash.

If he was profoundly hypoglycemic, that could have caused the crash and the combativeness.

Interesting case.

Matt
    l1a1 likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Who knows why people do what they do sometimes.
    In Texas, what he did is a felony. I wonder what penalty that charge carries in Va.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    I wonder if this guy had an underlying medical condition that caused the crash and left him confused, or if he sustained a head injury in the crash.

If he was profoundly hypoglycemic, that could have caused the crash and the combativeness.

Interesting case.

Matt
    EMT's frequently encounter someone with medical/mental conditions. I was never qualified as such, but have been out on many calls. Just because someone is injured, doesn't mean that they are an innocent victim. That kind of work always freaked me out a little.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    EMT's frequently encounter someone with medical/mental conditions. I was never qualified as such, but have been out on many calls. Just because someone is injured, doesn't mean that they are an innocent victim. That kind of work always freaked me out a little.
    Yeah, I encountered a few similar issues in my 15+ years in the field. We used to have a guy who worked out at a gym in our first due. The guy was NFL linebacker huge - 6'2, 250 and all of it solid as granite. He was a diabetic, and he'd occasionally work out too hard for his food intake and get hypoglycemic and combative. Much hilarity ensued. Usually, we'd get 4 big firefighters in turnouts, grab one of the big exercise mats from the gym and pin him down, so someone could get an IV in him and push some D50.

Matt
    l1a1 and Sig 210 like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Yeah, I encountered a few similar issues in my 15+ years in the field. We used to have a guy who worked out at a gym in our first due. The guy was NFL linebacker huge - 6'2, 250 and all of it solid as granite. He was a diabetic, and he'd occasionally work out too hard for his food intake and get hypoglycemic and combative. Much hilarity ensued. Usually, we'd get 4 big firefighters in turnouts, grab one of the big exercise mats from the gym and pin him down, so someone could get an IV in him and push some D50.

Matt
    LOL. I can imagine how future conversations go; "Don't make us get out the wrestling mat".
    l1a1 likes this.

VIP Member
    IMHO, All first responders should be able to carry. The event was clearly bad news and I hope the victims get well soon.

The report indicates the perp was a cop - bad news, but at least he was not a CHL holder.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Interesting case.

Matt
    Diabetics frequently act like all sorts of things when their sugar level is out of wack. Drunk and disorderly, confused, confrontational.

Update, Bradley Colas, the VA Beach cop who got into a traffic accident, slashed at EMTs and fire fighters who were helping him, and even shot at one of them.
    He hired a lawyer who used the "involuntary intoxication" defense because Colas had "ONE" minor reaction to an antibiotic he HAD STOPPED TAKING.
    He got off SCOTT FREE, and is in fact still employed by the VA Beach police department.'

Two thoughts here...
    1. Because he has a known (possibly) recurring reaction to the antibiotic, he should NEVER be allowed to carry a gun.
    2. Because of statement 1. above, he should be FIRED by the VA Beach police, UNLESS they are willing to accept the liability of arming a person with a KNOWN and DEMONSTRATED problem with "involuntary intoxication."

[QUOTEUpdate, Bradley Colas, the VA Beach cop who got into a traffic accident, slashed at EMTs and fire fighters who were helping him, and even shot at one of them.
    He hired a lawyer who used the "involuntary intoxication" defense because Colas had "ONE" minor reaction to an antibiotic he HAD STOPPED TAKING.
    He got off SCOTT FREE, and is in fact still employed by the VA Beach police department][/QUOTE]

That statement alone should have kept him from ever carrying a firearm again,what next he kills a motorist for running a stop sign after having a bad reaction to tylenol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links