Bad: Armed homeowner loses his gun to thieves

This is a discussion on Bad: Armed homeowner loses his gun to thieves within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Reaching for his gun he was pistol whipped... Then kicked and hit with a baseball bat. BGs got his guns, a .357 and a 9mm, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 2 Post By oakchas

Thread: Bad: Armed homeowner loses his gun to thieves

Bad: Armed homeowner loses his gun to thieves

Reaching for his gun he was pistol whipped... Then kicked and hit with a baseball bat.

BGs got his guns, a .357 and a 9mm, from the bedroom...

Story here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Happens. Good guys lose too.

More proof that a gun is only one resource for SD.

The story had this line: "The 65-year-old victim told police he was in bed when four men in their early 20s and wearing masks burst into his bedroom."

Here's a great example of thinking that a gun will keep you safe and therefore not bothering to lock the doors, windows, set alarms, keep a dog, plant bushes with thorns, use window film, and other stuff we all can think about easily.

It is sad it happened to him, but is an object lesson to those of us who think our guns will be the first, middle, and last line of defense.
    oakchas likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

While I rely on the gun as the LAST line of defense, it certainly isn't my first. The defensive handgun and the home defense weapon of choice are not talismans that keep bad things from happening.

Being proactive is not just getting a gun and a permit.

It's SA out in the world, it's securing your home, it's knowing how to drive your car. If you say "I carry a gun to protect myself and my loved ones"... What else do you DO to protect them and yourself?
    Hopyard and mano3 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Our dog sleeps in our bedroom upstairs. He is always alert and gets rewarded for being that way. I doubt anyone would get near the bedroom or even the front door. Our side and back yard are covered in gravel and motion lights go off on each side and down the drive way. I get caught on the main floor, I have a Walther nearby, upstairs I have the XDM Compact and a Marlin with 35 Rem all set. Garage has a 22 rifle with a 8 clip. All hidden... BTW, no kids, just the boss and me...

Not only do we also have a commercial alarm system, it is set for the basement, upstairs, main floor and garage... no how anyone can sleep through the alarms in the attic dormer and outside the garage and rotating blue lights under the garage eves...

and I am not afraid of zombies... not too much anyway...
    you never know... But it pays to be prepared...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member
    Suggestion for some folks. In some cities the police will happily come on out to your home and do
    a walk around and make suggestions. Some you will like, some you will like but not want to spend the
    money on. Some you will do immediately.

I learned a few things when our police did this at my home. A big thank you to them.
    I had a couple glaring vulnerabilities that just never entered my mind but the cop knew the criminals
    would exploit them on sight.

In my part of the country lots of homes have attic entries within the garage; and when the weather is too hot, folks
    leave the garage door open. It then becomes really easy for a BG to get up into the atttic and drop down
    through the ceiling dry wall. Fixed that.

I put locks on some outdoor electric boxes.

I drove very long wood screws into and probably through all the door frames.

I've done a lot more after that visit, well more than what he suggested, but he got me started in the
    right direction.

I know there is no perfect answer. Anyone can be ambushed. Any window can be breached too.

Its a matter of making it hard so they go somewhere else.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Suggestion for some folks. In some cities the police will happily come on out to your home and do
    a walk around and make suggestions.

I know there is no perfect answer. Anyone can be ambushed. Any window can be breached too.

Its a matter of making it hard so they go somewhere else.
    Hop - Good info on getting the cops to check out the abode. Also, you are right, the best we can hope for is to slow down the perps and make them make a lot of noise. No house is impervious.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    While I rely on the gun as the LAST line of defense, it certainly isn't my first. The defensive handgun and the home defense weapon of choice are not talismans that keep bad things from happening.

Being proactive is not just getting a gun and a permit.

It's SA out in the world, it's securing your home, it's knowing how to drive your car. If you say "I carry a gun to protect myself and my loved ones"... What else do you DO to protect them and yourself?

BINGO. Before they get to that point they have to get through doors, and windows, with triple locks, alarm system, 2 barking dogs, and one old Marine who sleeps like cat.

Links