Bad: kidnapped and robbed leaving the mall

This is a discussion on Bad: kidnapped and robbed leaving the mall within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As you walk out to your car, are your keys secure in your hand or pocket? Lucky victim, didn't end up dead. Story here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bad: kidnapped and robbed leaving the mall

Bad: kidnapped and robbed leaving the mall

As you walk out to your car, are your keys secure in your hand or pocket?

Lucky victim, didn't end up dead.

Story here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I don't know about the reason why he didn't tell anyone in the bank to call the cops. I would have, regardless of whether he had my wallet and keys. Glad he ended up okay but I don't know about his thought processes.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I don't know about the reason why he didn't tell anyone in the bank to call the cops. I would have, regardless of whether he had my wallet and keys. Glad he ended up okay but I don't know about his thought processes.
    Fear/victim mentality...

Carry a gun, or not... But don't act like a victim. The gun is a last resort, to be used "in the gravest extreme."

But walking around saying "here, take me, take my stuff, take my life if you want." Is no way to stay alive, unmolested and safe.
    jace33 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

The rule of thumb is never get into a car with the thief; chances are you won't be coming back

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I carry a keyless fob, so that's a non-issue.

But...
    The suspect then made Turner give him directions to his bank in Winterset. Turner went into the bank and withdrew $150, according to the report. He told police he did not tell anyone in the bank about his situation because the man still had his car keys and wallet.
    You see, when you ask for help & the police arrive, you'd likely get those things back...AND get to keep your money!
    Some people...
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Here is a post from the article from someone who knows the guy;

As a little FYI...this gentleman is a 65 year old man who is a Pastor who can't believe that this kind of behavior even exists in the world. So before you think "HE" was affiliated with a bad drug deal you better think again...maybe the guy with the gun but definitely NOT the victim!!!

AND another;

Just to set the record straight: This is a co-worker of mine, he is a 65 year old pastor. This is not a drug deal gone bad and the story is exactly what happened. Before you start saying dumb stuff know the facts.

This is the problem with some people in society.
    They have had their head in the sand, and have been quite content having it there, instead of reading the paper, watching the news on TV.

They live in a fairy tale, and when the boogeyman erupts from nowhere, they are shocked he exists.
    Glockman10mm, whats that saying,,,
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid,,,,,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Here is a post from the article from someone who knows the guy;

As a little FYI...this gentleman is a 65 year old man who is a Pastor who can't believe that this kind of behavior even exists in the world. So before you think "HE" was affiliated with a bad drug deal you better think again...maybe the guy with the gun but definitely NOT the victim!!!

AND another;

Just to set the record straight: This is a co-worker of mine, he is a 65 year old pastor. This is not a drug deal gone bad and the story is exactly what happened. Before you start saying dumb stuff know the facts.

This is the problem with some people in society.
    They have had their head in the sand, and have been quite content having it there, instead of reading the paper, watching the news on TV.

They live in a fairy tale, and when the boogeyman erupts from nowhere, they are shocked he exists.
    Glockman10mm, whats that saying,,,
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid,,,,,
    Yes to all that... and yet, many of us say we know (and some stats bear out) that home invasions tend to be targeted, that victims know the perpetrators, "drug deal gone bad," and so on...

It can happen anywhere and any time... but this pastor had his God watching out for him that day... or he wouldn't be alive to tell the story...

For the rest of us, without such a "direct line;" it's a good idea to be prepared, to watch our 6's, and to refuse to be victimized.

While I don't like the term, "better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6," how else are the law abiding to stay alive in these troubling times other than to defend ourselves "with extreme prejudice?"

The rule of 3 stupids does not apply. We have the right to go to the mall... we have the right to go to Wally world, we have the right to be where we can legally be, without fear of thugs who seek to destroy us and our way of life, and without the interference of laws that make it nigh on to impossible to defend one's self without crossing all the "t"s and dotting all the "i"s before doing so.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Geeze, I've just contradicted myself... in one thread...

The gun is the last resort in the gravest extreme...
    and yet...
    we should have a right to stand our ground without being criminalized for doing so.

It's hard to reconcile the two... But this "bad stuff" is getting on my last nerve... and I think we're getting fed up.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by DesMoinesRegister.com
    He took Turner back to his car and returned his keys and wallet.
    Wow, curb side service after being robbed and kidnapped. He's lucky he didn't end up dead in the gutter!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I'm not sure what to say about this guy other than "Wow!" He lets you out of his sight and all you do is get money for him? Then walk back out and get back in the car with the guy pointing a gun at you? Really? Wow.
    Walk softly ...

Talk about no SA...
    This guy is probably located in the 'yellow pages' under "Who can I rob today?"

Now anyone could get caught off guard...some much easier then others, but this guy seems pretty helpless.
    I doubt that he has learned anything from his experiences.
    He is lucky to be unscathed, except for the $$$.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I guess his flock seems to be fine with being led by another sheep.Mentality of bad things only happen to bad people,so we are good people and god will protect us.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"turner went into the bank and withdrew $150, according to the report. He told police he did not tell anyone in the bank about his situation because the man still had his car keys and wallet."

how dumb can you possibly be?

Two of my students had nearly the same thing happen to them..... held up by armed thugs while they were leaving the mall (Regency Square in Jacksonville, FL), forced to drive them to an ATM, withdraw money, and left without their keys or cell phones. In either case they wern't forced to go to the bank though. Zero SA. Both learned to ckeck their six and were advised how to get a permit.

Now our victim here may very well didn't alert anyone because the robber had his wallet..... i.e. drivers license with his home address..... and the victim mentality said to just do what the thug wants and get it over with.

I agree with the 'never get in the car with the BG".......your just gonna be taken to the next crime scene.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Wow, curb side service after being robbed and kidnapped. He's lucky he didn't end up dead in the gutter!
    Ok, now, I'll meet you back here a week from today, and we'll do this again!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links