toss up: sometimes even felons defend their homes

This is a discussion on toss up: sometimes even felons defend their homes within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; is it good, is it bad, is it ugly? I don't know. I do know that a felon barred from having guns and ammo shot ...

Thread: toss up: sometimes even felons defend their homes

toss up: sometimes even felons defend their homes

is it good, is it bad, is it ugly? I don't know. I do know that a felon barred from having guns and ammo shot and killed two intruders... Be interesting to see if he's charged... State? or federal?

Story here
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Follow-up story
    Convicted Felon Won't Be Charged in "Justified" Double Homicide | WSPA

Shooter will not be charged. Good info at the end of the article.

A case known as State v. Brayboy provides that "a person can be acting lawfully, even if he is in unlawful possession of a weapon, if he was entitled to arm himself in self-defense at the time of the shooting."

Being as he won't be charged, will he still remain in possession of the gun, or will he have to get another hot one off the street to replace it?

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    maybe he's been reformed, bad people can do good things... Glad that they didn't charge him but, like most, not sure I like the idea that he had a gun..
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

So.. he was outside and they had the "intent" to break into the apartment.... think there has to a lot missing in this story to jump from one thing to the other, or to know what really happened.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have mixed feelings about this case, but believe that everyone has a right to defend their home. I am glad that justice was served and his right to home defense trumped the possible charge against him.

But then I struggle on where his rights to defend should end. If a felon can legally defend his home with a firearm, why not let him have a firearm in his home legally. If he can legally defend his home, than why not allow him to defend his person and family out of the home.....and so on.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Sometimes the Felony Charges that take away a persons right to own a firearm are of a non violent nature,such as he was charged with forgery.
    I believe that sometimes the case law on the books actually make sense,It would be stupid to knowingly let somebody beat you/kill you without using the means to defend yourself at hand even though being in Possession of that weapon is Illegal.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Regardless of who you are, when threatened, you will use whatever you can lay your hands on to protect yourself.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The shooter was able to convince the sheriff that the gun was his girlfriends and that he only picked it up when the confrontation happened. There is a lot missing from the story. The fact the both bad guys were shot once in the head and that they were found behind the air conditioning unit makes me wonder. I do trust Sheriff Wright though, and believe he has evidence that we have not seen.

Links