What Have We Learned? : Robbed at Gunpoint during Auto Deal

This is a discussion on What Have We Learned? : Robbed at Gunpoint during Auto Deal within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I still cannot believe that people are this dumb....wait....yes I can. I hate to say it, but this poor soul set himself up for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What Have We Learned? : Robbed at Gunpoint during Auto Deal

I still cannot believe that people are this dumb....wait....yes I can. I hate to say it, but this poor soul set himself up for a robbery. He's lucky the thief didn't shoot him in the process. I have been to Rotary Park here in Huntington, WV, my grandparents lived just outside it. We used it as our playground, until it really went downhill with all the thugs moving in. Now I avoid it like the plague.

Like Homie the Clown says : "What have we learned, if nothing else?"

Man robbed at gunpoint amid used vehicle deal - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

mkh
    My son buys and sells things off of Craig's List and I've warned him of the dangers. The BGs know how much money you are meeting them with so,it creates a dangerous situation.

I have him meet up at a gas station or Walmart and I go with him. I stand off aout 20 feet and just observe while trying to look intimidating. So far no problems.

Craigslist is awesome but you have to use your head when setting up transactions.

The first time I ever saw OC was when I worked doing car title transfers, and a guy was buying a used car. He thought it was a good idea to be armed when he was handling large amounts of cash; I agreed.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Would being armed have even helped the victim in this case?
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    I would surely think so. Its not like the BG popped out from around a corner with his gun already drawn; he drew it at some point. Being armed and using appropriate SA, could have been very helpful, and saved him from getting assaulted with a baseball bat by BG #2 (because he could have neutralized BG #1).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

In this case I seriously doubt it. The victim was obviously not trained in any aspect of personal defense or his SA would have seen this coming from a mile away. Better yet if this area is a know hangout of thugs he should have never been there to take part in this transaction, or should have brought a friend.
    Woulda, shoulda , coulda. Hope he is doing ok , and learns from this experience. Losing 3 grand is a real pain in the rear.
    Conceal Carry
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Compact
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
    Rock River Arms 6.8 SPC
    Taurus Millennium Pro 140

I agree to a point, if neutralizing BG#1 didn't make BG#2 run for the hills, you can bet that swing of the bat wouldn't be to the leg. I meet with random people on craigslist all the time, always meet by a police station or a crowded parking lot and I always make the person come to my neck of the woods. Being armed and very familiar with my surroundings is a huge plus but I don't think that garauntees something like this from happening to any of us.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    google earth lets you drive down most streets and view an exterior.

bing lets you 'hover' and look at all 4 sides of many structures.

before meeting --look at where you are going. bring a friend and meet during daylight hours.
    it may be that you miss out on a deal or save yourself from being someones meal
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Being armed and very familiar with my surroundings is a huge plus but I don't think that garauntees something like this from happening to any of us.
    Agreed.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Whenever I do something like this, I always bring someone with me and always have someone as a look out. Safer that way.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Taking $3000 to a dark park at 11 P.M. to buy a used car?
    What WAS this victim 'wanna be' thinking?
    8th ID and babarock like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

And now you have these treasure hunt things, where random unknown people post coordinates for a hidden treasure and your supposed to go on a hunt to find it. Sometimes the "treasure" is hidden in a McDonalds and sometimes its in the middle of an isolated park. Sometimes people go alone doing this, even heard of moms doing it with their kids. Not very smart when you have no idea who is posting the coordinates and if they have an ulterior motive.

never carry cash; if its a good deal then get a cashiers check

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Iv done many deals off Craigslist and such. A couple have been in the dark hours, but I ALWAYS meet at the gas station around the corner from my house which is on a busy road and most of the clerks know me. I always take a long way home and make sure I am not being followed. If I have something I am selling that I cannot bring to the gas station, I still meet the person there and "interview" them before bringing them back to the garage, never let them in the house.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links