Good, Bad or Ugly- opinions

This is a discussion on Good, Bad or Ugly- opinions within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Campus Police Detain and Draw Weapons on Student Activist for Wearing Empty Holster to Trayvon Martin Vigil Columbus, Ohio – Ohio State University Police detained ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Good, Bad or Ugly- opinions

Campus Police Detain and Draw Weapons on Student Activist for Wearing Empty Holster to Trayvon Martin Vigil

Columbus, Ohio – Ohio State University Police detained and drew their weapons on student-activist Mike Newbern for demonstrating his support for gun rights by wearing an empty holster to a candlelight vigil for Trayvon Martin on Wednesday.

Newbern, the president of Buckeyes for Concealed Carry, was taken forcibly into police custody just after 8:30 p.m., while he was standing at the front of the crowd wearing an empty holster, which was clearly visible on his belt, and with his hands crossed in front of his chest.

A police report released on Thursday indicates two officers drew their firearms before approaching Newbern and removing him from the vigil. They searched and questioned Newbern and confiscated his personal belongings, including his empty holster and camera case, before placing him handcuffed in the back of a cruiser for 30 minutes. Newbern was released at 9:07 p.m. but was informed by police that the field investigation would be forwarded to the university’s Committee of Academic Misconduct where he could be charged with disorderly conduct.

Newbern, who is a certified firearms safety instructor, said on Thursday he decided to attend the vigil to exercise his First Amendment right to demonstrate in favor of Ohio’s concealed carry laws. He said he suspects’ campus police and students harassed him because he is the leader of Buckeyes for Concealed Carry, a group Ohio State University President Gordon Gee has publically described as "vigilante."

Campus Police Detain and Draw Weapons on Student Activist for Wearing Empty Holster to Trayvon Martin Vigil

My vote:A really dumb ass, insensitive, inconsiderate publicity stunt.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

VIP Member
    Not the best idea, but it does appear he was harrassed by government officials for doing nothing illegal.
    msgt/ret, ccman, Sig 210 and 3 others like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Lawsuit time
    carracer, Badey, oneshot and 1 others like this.

Again, not the best idea IMO. But detained for an empty holster? Possible disorderly conduct? Could be a lawsuit???
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    So he was detained for what amounts to an unreasonable amount of time, possessions taken and all that for not breaking the law? Guess OSU Police need re-education on how to do police work. Do I smell what could be a 42USC1983 here?
    carracer likes this.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    That holster could have been used as a deadly weapon. The nazis I mean campus cops saved countless live and should be commended on their heroism and bravery!
    carracer likes this.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I should take what little OSU gear I have to the campus and put it in the dumpster, I never was a fan of the buckeyes anyways.
    carracer likes this.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I hope the incident has a video record...$$$
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    From article;

"You and I can debate that all day long and you have clear arguments," Gee said, addressing his remarks to Newbern. "But, I am in charge and we are not going to do it." Ohio State University President Gordon Gee

Translation: It's my ball, and my mommy said I could go home
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

We'll be hearing more about this one!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I should take what little OSU gear I have to the campus and put it in the dumpster, I never was a fan of the buckeyes anyways.
    My ex-wife is a buckeye. I never have liked them.

Oh How I Hate Ohiostate.

He wore an empty holster for one reason....he wanted to make a statement and hopefully get publicity.

He succeeded. Bravo. Clap, clap, clap.

So now, he should be allowed to sue and be rewarded for his successful endeavor?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

If I saw a guy with an empty holster I would wonder where the gun was ...
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    IMO, that was a ballsy move on his part. The charges against him are pretty sketchy for just making a political statement...white supremacists get police protection whilst doing far worse - again, IMO.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links