Bad: Fake police officer robs Benson NC driver

This is a discussion on Bad: Fake police officer robs Benson NC driver within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Benson, N.C. — A man posing as a police officer robbed a driver on Interstate 95 near Benson Thursday, marking the third time in several ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By azchevy
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: Bad: Fake police officer robs Benson NC driver

Benson, N.C. — A man posing as a police officer robbed a driver on Interstate 95 near Benson Thursday, marking the third time in several weeks this has happened to drivers in Johnston and Cumberland counties.
    ....continued at link below
    Fake police officer robs Benson driver :: WRAL.com

curious....what would you do if this happened to you?
    I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
    myself for failing to be prepared.

Not only do these clowns endanger the public, but they put LE lives at risk by doing stuff like this.... there needs to be harsh harsh sentences for committing a crime while impersonating a LE official. Harsh crimes, like double digit sentences.
    bwalker25 and phreddy like this.

I pull over to get out of the way of blue flashers, they're usually vol. FD going on a call... if one pulled in behind me... I'd be suspicious right away... If he suggested a bribe in lieu of a ticket, I'd tell him to pound sand and drive off...

If there were a gun on his hip as he exited the vehicle, I'd pull out, spittin' shoulder gravel all the way, and be on the phone to 911 in a heart beat.

If he's the law, the 911 call will settle it quick, and I'll pull right back over... but I'd bet it isn't, and the real law's a comin'.
    bwalker25 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I noticed in the story, it says the guy was 6' and had a gun on his hip. I guess I need to practice drawing sitting down while buckled in....

I agree, its these clowns that endanger the lives of LEO's everywhere, can you imagine what would happen to me if I pulled a gun on a LEO while I was seated in the car? Holy crap what a bad adventure that would turn out to be.

I hope these idiots get caught before something bad happens to one of our LEO's.

I'm assuming that there are more than one of these guys, as there is reference in the story to it happening more than once....

How would you defend yourself against this type of thing?

edit:

+1 to the pulling off spitting gravel all over....
    I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
    myself for failing to be prepared.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    This is happening more and more lately and people need to be informed. There's a lot of evidence that proves they are not LE but I will only go through a few things.

-Make sure they have both blue and red lights.
    -Make sure their headlights are flashing as well.
    -Pull over in a well-lit area, even if you have to drive farther away to do so (real officers normally wait til it is well lit).
    -Call 911 and tell the dispatcher you are going to a more lit area and ask if you are being pulled over by a real LEO.
    -Make sure the "officers" uniform is the same as the Police Dpt.'s.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Back in the 80's there was a string of murders along Interstate 64 between the Va Beach and Richmond, One theory given was the killer was posing as a police officer, a couple of the vehicles including the one at the rest area near Williamsburg were found with the drivers window down and no signs of a struggle. The couple from the rest stop were found by a hunting club less than a mile from my Uncle's house.

As mentioned above, really makes life hard for LEO's and the general public uncomfortable. Impersonating an officer should carry a mandatory life in jail, death penalty if anyone if harmed in the incident.

The Colonial Parkway Killer | Historic Mysteries
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Since North Carolina is a must inform state I wonder what the reaction will be when he pulls over an armed carrier??
    Burns likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    From article;

Keionta Hinton, an assistant manager at Church’s Chicken, told police she was heading down Yadkin Road to deposit some money from the restaurant. A blue Crown Victoria with flashing blue lights on the dashboard pulled in behind her and stopped her on Santee Drive, she said.

Two men got out of the car, and one put a gun in her face and stole the restaurant's money, according to police.

Well, if I owned that Church's, I'd wait and see if they start getting any "home" improvements around her house, or how good Santa is next Christmas.

PS
    We have people in Washington pretending to be politicians,,,,,,,,,,,and nothing bad is happening to them.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

How would I handle it if he pulled me? Easy, give him what he asks for, when he goes to get back into his car my foot will slip off the brak pedal and floor the gas. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that t thought my truck was in park but I guess it was in reverse. Let him get pinched by his own door as he tries to get in it.

This is all happening within 5-10 miles of my home, I will say that there is a huge increase in police presence as I spotted 6 unmarked units crusing the area and noticed 3 marked units hiding in the shadows.

Picking my 3yr old up from preschool I witnessed a unmarked wait till a marked unit caught up with him before they lit up a black crown vic to check him out.

Rule 1: don't stop for unmarked units at night, if there real a marked unit will show up very shortly
    Rule 2: unmarked unit in daylight and person is not in uniform with a real sam brown belt means it's time to keave before he gets to the door, once again if he is real a marked unit will show up quickly and I am alive to explain my fear.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

The bad part is if you thought it wasn't a cop and you do something that caused harm to the cop you would be totally screwed if it ended up being a real cop.

I heard a story a while back that happened in houston about two "cops" knocked on a families door, father had CHL, when he answered the door they asked him to place his weapon on the ground so, and he complied because their uniforms looked legit. Next thing you know they tied up the husband and raped the wife in front of him. Some sick people out there.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post
    The bad part is if you thought it wasn't a cop and you do something that caused harm to the cop you would be totally screwed if it ended up being a real cop.

I heard a story a while back that happened in houston about two "cops" knocked on a families door, father had CHL, when he answered the door they asked him to place his weapon on the ground so, and he complied because their uniforms looked legit. Next thing you know they tied up the husband and raped the wife in front of him. Some sick people out there.
    I don't allow access of my house to any LEO under any circumstances and I would not place my firearm on the ground when I'm on my own property. Problem solved.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I don't allow access of my house to any LEO under any circumstances and I would not place my firearm on the ground when I'm on my own property. Problem solved.
    That could lead to an interesting encounter if it was a real cop.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post
    The bad part is if you thought it wasn't a cop and you do something that caused harm to the cop you would be totally screwed if it end up being a real cop.
    I think the question as to being real or not would be answered when he robs you at gunpoint.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    agreed, people with CHL should be aware of the law that they do not have to let police into their home without a warrant. I dont know the specifics of the incident so they may have asked him to set the gun down and step outside to speak with him, or he could have simply let his guard down. In the end the guy was lucky that all that happened was his wife was raped. I know that sounds horrible but since the BG new he had a gun and where it was, they could have easily just shot the wife and him after they were done.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    I think the question as to being real or not would be answered when he robs you at gunpoint.
    ya, that would kinda give it away.

Sponsored Links