Very UGLY: Officer who shot man perceived threat

This is a discussion on Very UGLY: Officer who shot man perceived threat within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 26-year-old was not man being sought in murder investigation GBI: Officer who shot man perceived threat | Georgia News - Home WOW.....just, wow. OK, your ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Very UGLY: Officer who shot man perceived threat

26-year-old was not man being sought in murder investigation
    GBI: Officer who shot man perceived threat | Georgia News - Home

WOW.....just, wow.

OK, your asleep in your bed and a cop come busting into your apartment looking for a murder suspect the he 'thinks' ran into your place.........

The resident gets outta bed, not fully awake I'd imagin, and confronts the officer in his bedroom who, feeling threatend shoots the sleepy, and irate, resident.

This will NOT end well for the officer and the Waycross PD me thinks. What a lack of responsability.........

http://www.news4jax.com/news/georgia...z/-/index.html
    Original 'breaking' news coverage.........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Wow... You know he will probably get fired/suspended and that will be it...pathetic.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Sounds to me as if the LEO failed in searching the residence,If I got a closed door to a room,I'm gonna make damn sure they know it's the police as I open the door and Illuminate the room.It's very possible the occupant downstairs wasn't aware the other guy was home.Bad Shoot and the victim will be getting compensation,as far as LEO his job security is going to depend on a few things,if he is a "Rookie" he will very possibly be asked to resign
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

From the article:

"Officers received permission from someone in the apartment to look around and were told that no one was upstairs, investigators said."

Who was the "someone" and why on earth would they at least not say who lived at the apartment. Also the article said there were children at home. Did this "someone" tell the officer about the children? From the article it doesn't sound like it. Weird!

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    From the article:

"Officers received permission from someone in the apartment to look around and were told that no one was upstairs, investigators said."

Who was the "someone" and why on earth would they at least not say who lived at the apartment. Also the article said there were children at home. Did this "someone" tell the officer about the children? From the article it doesn't sound like it. Weird!
    Unfortunately, once someone, anyone give them permission to search a residence, they are able to.

Bad deal for everyone involved. The officer is obviously on guard because he is looking for a murder suspect, and the homeowner is angry because someone is in his home uninvited. The officer is most likely going to be an "former" officer, and the man who was shot will likely never have the same physical health or abilities... sad.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Not second guessing the officer, just wondering who the "someone" was that said nobody was upstairs. As is ofter the case, this seems very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Not second guessing the officer, just wondering who the "someone" was that said nobody was upstairs. As is ofter the case, this seems very strange.
    I was wondering who the someone was too. Hopefully they will release an update in fill in some of the missing details
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I wonder who exactly gave permission for the Officers to enter the home. Also, were they looking for an armed suspect, as stated someone they wanted to talk to in connection with a homicide. Kind of sounds like the Officer may have panicked.

Wouldn't it be weird if the 'someone' was the guy they were looking for and he snuck out while the cop went to search.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Cops are more dangerous than the crooks - Guns, badges, steroids, attitudes, and job security

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    Wouldn't it be weird if the 'someone' was the guy they were looking for and he snuck out while the cop went to search.
    If so, then that guy is a genius!!

Please keep us posted on the outcome, Goldshellback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tack View Post
    Please keep us posted on the outcome, Goldshellback.
    Latest update, although not much is really updated....... pretty much the same conclusion we've come to so far. Still intrested in getting more facts and details to this though.

New details released about Georgia police shooting|ActionNewsJax.com | Jacksonville News, Weather, Sports | WTEV-TV
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Wow... You know he will probably get fired/suspended and that will be it...pathetic.
    Nothing will happen to the LEO even if the victim died. Funny thing is if the LEO encountered a prepared person that shot him the victim would most likely need to defend their self for the incident.

LEOs shooting unarmed citizens is just becoming a common occurrence especially while invading private property. Who knows why who ever said there was no one upstairs but this LEO shouldn't assume this was good intelligence in the first place which shows at the very least the LEO is poorly trained or just rogue.

VIP Member
    Like you assume everyone is armed, you have to assume behind every fatal funnel or door there is an ambush. It's awfully hard for the searcher to hold fire until a threat is positively identified and the background is clear. As citizens hearing the bump in the middle of the night, we must avoid confrontation, seek a position of advantage, and hunker down while we assess any commotion around us. Our instinct in our own home is to rush out, wiping the sleep from our eyes, and try to see what's going on. We make an easy target.

I don't know how the authorities were allowed in, but whoever did it hasn't the sense of a good dog.
    Tutapper likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links