Personal Stories? - Page 2

Personal Stories?

This is a discussion on Personal Stories? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Doc Holliday Uh, you chambered a round? Modern semi-autos are meant to keep a live round in the chamber. Finger on the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Uh, you chambered a round? Modern semi-autos are meant to keep a live round in the chamber.

Finger on the trigger? On a Glock, no less? Big no no until you are ready and committed to shoot your target. If you had turned that guys head into Campbell's Chunky Tomato Soup, I don't think it would have held up in court just because these guys were following you. What if you had a negliengent discharge, which this surely would have been the case with your finger on the trigger? You would be behind bars right now. These are some things that you need to think about. What did these guys do to make you feel that you had to escalate the situation and throw down your Ace card that early in the game? This sounds like just another case of road rage. So the guy got out with a ball bat. Did he try to force his way into your car? Could you have driven off?

I'm going to be blunt with you.....I think that you need to find someone in your area to train you in the proper way of carrying and employing the defensive combat pistol. You need to stick with this board and READ AND STUDY EVERYTHING YOU CAN. One wrong move and you are DEAD or you are in JAIL.

I am not flaming you with this post. On this message board we take great pride in not doing that. But I do want to pose some questions for you to ponder and think about.
    a agree with you but I am new here so I was biting my tounge. Now that you went first, I will say this, You make the good people on this board look bad by your actions. you cant use your firearm to gain leverage over someone. Period.

Lead Moderator
    Gotta agree with Doc H. Brandishing a weapon without a threat will just escalate the situation. what if they had called the PD first? Claimed you pulled a Glock , & claimed they did nothing?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    (I had 'em beat until I ran up on traffic...gotta love nitrous:-)
    Hey buddy,

I don't appreciate this kind of behavior either. If you want to race then go to the local sanctioned drag strip and enter your car. But the local streets are not the Daytona 500 or the NHRA Nationals. You put a bunch of innocent peoples lives in jeopardy when you decided to "outrun" them. This ain't the "Fast and the Furious".

I am done with this thread.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    Out came the Glock 30. I chambered a round and aimed straight for the drivers skull...finger on the trigger.....
    Wow way to kill a thread. Actually I would like to ask you to troll around and learn as much as you can. From your post about your experience, I would say that you are the reason most of us carry firearms. i.e. Your actions are that of the bad guy.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Gents,

At the risk of coming off on the wrong end, I think this person should be educated instead of berated. Ignoring a person who has done wrong only leaves them to do it again because they know no other way.

Though I disagree with the finger on the trigger, I take more issue with nobody stating where else to put it. (The current preferred method, dunndw, is to place your finger on the slide - yes, the slide - until ready to fire. This way, in a tense situation, the finger cannot snap back onto the trigger as it could when simply placed alongside the triggerguard as in years past.)

Reading it and re-reading it, I can't find any wrongdoing with the street racing, IF he were in real fear of his life. He was merely trying to exit the situation. As an ex-rodder who never drove anything that got more than 8mpg and less than 400 horsepower, my friend was accused of "snitching" on some local problem people. Well, yeah, he did file a report.

Said people took exception, saw him in his 'rod coming to my house, and gave chase. My friend then opened up the secondaries on the 4bbl carb and made it to the police station, whereupon he noticed a police officer exiting his vehicle. My friend said, "So and so is chasing me in a (make of vehicle)." Officer said, "I'll take care of it," jumped back into his car, and gave pursuit while my friend made yet another report. Yes, he could have stopped and shot. He had his shotgun and .22 with him as he was coming out here to do some shooting. Instead he exited the situation as quickly as possible.

I guess my questions are:

1) How long ago was this and has the person learned since to correct his actions

and

2) What should he have done, if not run?

and

3) Did he have an alternative to that "last stand?" Granted, it could have been done a bit differently.

I'm not trying to put anyone on trial here. I'm certainly not in a position to do so. I'm just not satisfied with the responses as so many things could have happened since this incident.

Am I making any sense? I'm not defending nor am I condemning. I don't feel I have enough facts. I guess what it boils down to is that hindsight is 20/20 and I have no idea how much many years ago this hindsight is.

Is this acceptable? Cool off and think about it, please. It's just my take, and my original inclination was to jump him as well... but I started thinking about vehicular assault etc.

Thanks Gents,

Josh <><

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    ... Though I disagree with the finger on the trigger, I take more issue with nobody stating where else to put it. (The current preferred method, dunndw, is to place your finger on the slide - yes, the slide - until ready to fire. This way, in a tense situation, the finger cannot snap back onto the trigger as it could when simply placed alongside the triggerguard as in years past.) ...
    Actually, Massad Ayob wouldn't agree with this! Crook the trigger finger just above the trigger guard with the edge of the finger nail caught on the forward part of the guard.

(Prevents your trigger finger from being suddenly twisted or broken if the gun is grabbed; and it, also, allow you to more instinctively reflex into the trigger pull whenever you're suddenly rushed, or surprised.)

At least this is what Mas is teaching, now. Do I agree? Well, I've been doing this - all on my own - for, at least, the past 20 years. I was, kind' a, shocked when Mas came out with this; I thought I was the only one; and, that I'd be better off just keeping my big mouth shut! (But, then again, I'm not Mas Ayoob!)

Got to Agree with Doc on this one ..

Sounds like dunndw needs some more training a lot of it and to calm his temper down.

As for the street racing its here nor there if he was trying just to get away fine but if he was screwing with them well then

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Who Walks View Post
    Actually, Massad Ayob wouldn't agree with this! Crook the trigger finger just above the trigger guard with the edge of the finger nail caught on the forward part of the guard.

(Prevents your trigger finger from being suddenly twisted or broken if the gun is grabbed; and it, also, allow you to more instinctively reflex into the trigger pull whenever you're suddenly rushed, or surprised.)

At least this is what Mas is teaching, now. Do I agree? Well, I've been doing this - all on my own - for, at least, the past 20 years. I was, kind' a, shocked when Mas came out with this; I thought I was the only one; and, that I'd be better off just keeping my big mouth shut! (But, then again, I'm not Mas Ayoob!)
    Heh... last I heard he was all about landmarking the frame or slide.

I place it one of three places, depending. The first place would be on the left side of the frame (I'm a lefty), indexed on the little nub on the takedown latch. The second place I put it is alongside the trigger guard (up a threat level), and finally, the third place I put it, knowing that I'll fire, is inside the trigger guard, pressed forward, like I'm turning off a Garand's safety. This is only done when I'm static, and used to keep my finger off the trigger while I've got my sights on a nuisance animal waiting for a clear shot. I definitely don't recommend it for defense.

Josh <><

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Got to Agree with Doc on this one ..

Sounds like dunndw needs some more training a lot of it and to calm his temper down.

As for the street racing its here nor there if he was trying just to get away fine but if he was screwing with them well then
    Agreed.

However, my whole point was education, not confiscation, and perhaps consider the points from a different perspective. Our ranks need all the help they can get, sir. I figure if he's not been to the funnyfarm or jail then he should be able to carry. It worked out OK in the old west. Darwin just had more opportunity to operate.

My intent certainly is not to cause any disruption nor flame anyone. This is as hot as I like things, and not for too long.

Perhaps we all should end this line of discussion (I'll make a new thread for this line) and get back to the original poster's question? Perhaps merge the threads if you have the software capability (I haven't checked the version here to see, not that it's my business anyway).

Thank you,

Josh <><

Stoopid confessions here: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...921#post190921

Josh <><

Please pardon this one additional comment...

Before I had my CHL and my first handgun, I was a bit of an aggressive driver. Fortunately, I don't have any stories to post here. However, quite a few things have since become apparent to me as I have become more aware of the tactical aspects of typical situations in my daily life. Two that are relevant here:

1) You can get yourself into an untenable situation as a result of ANY aggressive driving, including simply following too closely. You never know the state of mind of the guy in the other car - he could go into road rage mode without any warning at all. These days I tend to hang back a lot more. I used to push, push, push and I pissed a lot people off. (Not to mention that in Virginia "Aggressive Driving", a completely subjective judgement call on the part of the LEO, is a class 1 or 2 misdemeanor, resulting in a suspended drivers license, a mandatory court appearance, and a hefty fine. )

2) Following too closely into an intersection is a good way to set yourself up for one of the oldest insurance/lawsuit scams around where you are tricked into rear-ending the other car. Or even worse, you can get boxed in, stopped, and robbed or highjacked. Even at a stoplight, it's a good idea to leave some space in front and keep a clear lane alongside.

I used to be a relatively aggressive driver, but now I try to keep some space between me and all of the other cars on the road, use my turn signals, and generally be polite to the other drivers. Emphasis on the word 'try'.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Heh... last I heard he was all about landmarking the frame or slide.

I place it one of three places, depending. The first place would be on the left side of the frame (I'm a lefty), indexed on the little nub on the takedown latch. The second place I put it is alongside the trigger guard (up a threat level), and finally, the third place I put it, knowing that I'll fire, is inside the trigger guard, pressed forward, like I'm turning off a Garand's safety. This is only done when I'm static, and used to keep my finger off the trigger while I've got my sights on a nuisance animal waiting for a clear shot. I definitely don't recommend it for defense.

Josh <><
    Hey, Josh, here's a recent news flash for ya!

Posted By Massad Ayoob On Glock Talk, 07/22/06:

“I prefer a crooked trigger finger with its tip on the frame above the trigger guard area, for four reasons.”

“In no particular order:”

“Straight finger by right handed shooters tends to apply pressure to the slide lock stud of a 1911, Hi-Power, some S&W’s and some other autos. If the gun is a bit loose, this can push the slide stop out enough that the pistol will lock up after the first shot. With crooked finger indexed behind this stud, pressure has no effect.”

“Long finger and short guard (i.e., a 1911 in a big man's hand) can slow a straight finger's access when a shot needs to be fired immediately to save a life. The crooked finger makes its way into the guard swiftly, unimpeded.”

“If straight finger slips down and shooter is startled, finger will be held taut for an instant on the front of the guard and then snap back straight into the trigger, with enough force to cause an unintentional discharge. This is why we teach at LFI that trigger finger resting on front of guard is unsafe. But if the same thing happens with crooked finger, the finger comes in ACROSS the trigger, greatly reducing the likelihood of unintended discharge.”

“If anyone who knows what he's doing tries to disarm you, he'll begin with a lateral strike to your pistol to get its muzzle off his midline. A straight finger will be hyper-extended and other fingers will sympathetically release, making it easier for him to disarm you and break your trigger finger in the bargain. If the finger is crooked, it can resist this pressure and prevent either injury or sympathetic release of other fingers of the grasping hand.”

“In the latter vein, another reason we teach firm grasp at all times is that a disarm attempt hitting the drawn gun by surprise is much more likely to succeed if the Good Guy or Gal is holding the pistol with 40% hand strength instead of maximum hand strength.”

“The concept is explained in greater detail in my book "StressFire."

Thanks for the update. I respect Ayoob but sometimes don't know where he stands.

When I referred to the takedown lever nub, I neglected to mention I use a Taurus 92, similar to a Beretta, and the nub is only a pivot which cannot be removed without some gunsmithing.

Josh <><

JD
    Administrator
    ok can we get back on subject now? I believe "Personal Stories? "
    is the name of this thread, not personal opinion.

Been tryin'!

Josh <><

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links