Personal Stories?

Personal Stories?

This is a discussion on Personal Stories? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone on here ever have to actually defend themselves using thier firearm? I see lots of close calls or false alarms at home but any ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal Stories?

Personal Stories?

Anyone on here ever have to actually defend themselves using thier firearm? I see lots of close calls or false alarms at home but any stories of actually having to draw on a threat?

What happened? How about after the fact? and any lessons you may have learned?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    This was taken from my introduction post on this forum...

Hey everyone, just thought I'd join up and say hi. I live in one of the two most firearm friendly states in the entire nation, known as The Last Frontier. The reason why I carry now, is because I almost had some drunk dude try and break into my car, next thing I know, I got a KNIFE wielding drunk coming right at me. The day before that happened, I had gone to the range to shoot my new 357 snubby, and I guess I had shoved it into my coat pocket when I left and forgot about it. Well the night the drunk came at me, I felt my gun inside my pocket, and I pulled it out of my pocket, and this is where I got lucky. I had used ALL ammo at the range the previous day, so I basically pulled an empty gun on the guy, and when his eyes met the barrel of my 357, he started stumbling away as fast as he possibly could. If he would have kept charging, I probably would either be dead, or seriously wounded. I consider myself lucky, and I now make sure I have ammo in the gun I'm carrying. I'm glad I caught the guy b4 he broke out my car window. Anyway, sorry for the long first post.

Edit: My little run in with the knife weilding drunk took place in a Wal-Mart parking lot

Lead Moderator
    I believe we've has a similar thread in the past, and there wasn't much response. We've found that it's usually not something people want to discuss in a public forum. (At least in the past.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I believe we've has a similar thread in the past, and there wasn't much response. We've found that it's usually not something people want to discuss in a public forum. (At least in the past.)
    Yeah I can see how you might not want to talk about it, but for some of us who are just starting to carry, I thought it might help to get some personal experiences.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I can see why not many people would want to talk about their personal experiences. I on the other hand like to tell stories, and vent at the same time. It feels better to talk about things than let it stay locked inside me and let the anger and the shock just build up to the point where I go crazy.

We can all read stories that others have wrote about someone else who had to use a firearm to defend themselves. I would like some first hand accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    My little run in with the knife weilding drunk took place in a Wal-Mart parking lot
    Wal-Mart is always an adventure.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I'm sure I've told this before, or some of it anyway.

Let me preface by saying that, when I was younger, I was more than a bit reckless and there are very few things I did then that I would do now.

My first incident was with a person. My dog alerted in the middle of the night and ran silently to the front door. I grabbed my Ruger Super Single Six that wasn't officially loaded with .22 mag HP ammo and chased after. There was a guy pulling the front door shut to avoid my dog. I called my dog off, opened the door, aimed above the guy's head, and fired. He stood there... so I leveled it at his chest while cocking and began to slowly squeeze off. His paralysis broke and he ran, saving himself from a trigger-happy 16 year old. Dad found me in the morning barricaded behind the sofa, which I had pushed out, with all my .22s and shotguns. Not recommended.

I had several run-ins with feral dogs as a teen, and I consider them all valid self-defense situations. I chased one into the woods, found myself facing the pack, fired a couple at what I figured to be the alpha male, and ran. When I cleared the firezone I yelled to my friend to loose the 12 gauge with buck. We had pulled my Jeep's motor, were trying to rebuild it, kept getting stalked, and got tired of it, so the long guns came out in addition to our pistols. We later did some exterminating. None of this pack had collars.

The big one came when I was running security for a cab company while in college. I had gone on a high-risk run with the cabbie at night and when we got back to base, I saw that the plate glass window was busted in. I saw movement, so I told the cabbie to lock the doors and call the cops on the radio phone, then I got out and gave chase, pulling my pistol as I entered the shadows. I almost caught the guy too. But, that was just plain stupid. I was too gung ho, though in all fairness, I saw it as a personal failure and wanted to put it right in my employers' eyes, and my own. However, I should have stayed, secured the scene (meaning, kept everyone away from the place), and kept an eye on the cabbie.

The big one was the attack dogs charging me (documented several places already, no need to revisit on yet another post), years after I wanted glory, and just wanted to be left alone.

To those new to carrying, looking at my lessons learned, I would say this: Don't go looking for trouble. It finds you often enough as is. Keep a lower profile than you have in the past. You have a moral, if not legal (in your state), obligation to not escalate the situation. Example: In college I lived off campus. I took my clothes to a laudrymat where I encountered a bunch of young guys dressed in biker black with cheap knives strapped on everyplace. I was semi-surrounded and told that all the washers were taken (which they obviously weren't. I just said "Ok," and left. I was in the prime of my shooting skill at that point: a 20 year old body with no fat and all quick nerve and reaction. Though I wasn't as experienced in cover and concealment at the time, I could have likely made up for it with raw speed and talent. I'd already picked a spot on each gang member's body that I would hit, all likely lethal. But I didn't want to fight. I didn't even want to do laundry. I only did it because it needed to be done. I really wanted to go home and relax after classes and work.

Having a CCW permit is not a license to kill. It only lets the police know that you're a good guy, and as such, you're expected to act accordingly.

Just don't do anything that would fuel the anti-gunners or make a neutral party favor the criminal. I did this for too long and still regret it.

As for the physological effects of fight or flight, I experienced auditory exclusion and time dialation, but that was really it. I saw my sights and indexed them. There were a couple times I actually aimed. My hearing isn't the best but it's by no means bad yet. I have it checked monthly (Mom's a speech pathologist and has an audiometer). I don't show symptoms of firing a 9mm three times, rapidly, in an enclosed space. Some people are just like that: The bones in the ears separate and keep damage from occuring. Or maybe I was just lucky. I don't know. I don't remember being numb; I definitely felt the trigger, and I don't think I mashed it, though I'm not 100% sure I didn't. I don't remember feeling anything; I did think right beforehand, "S***, here we go!" (Mods, that was my exact thinking; I usually do not swear), and the pistol "jumped into my hand." That comes from countless draws and practice. I don't remember drawing; it was just there.

The least number of shots I've fired in 'defense' were two, with the max being six. The six were received by a 'possum that tried to climb my leg. Not knowing if it had rabies I shot it and kept at it until it stopped moving. The attack dogs got three.

I was a person who took way too many risks. I'm not like that anymore; I've mellowed. I hope you, the new CCW permit holders, read this and make sound judgements.

I am writing all of this in fear of being ridiculed. On another board when I posted something similar as a response to the same question as asked above, I was called a liar and fairly shunned from then on out. I hope this does not turn out to be the case here as I'm fond of this board. Maybe some just can't believe a person's capable of so many stupid moves. I dunno.

At any rate, read, read, read, and PRACTICE. Shoot skeet with your handgun. Your scores won't be high but you'll hit them now and again and you'll learn. For shear speed, pinshooting is good. I think the best practice is vermin elimination, but few of us are lucky enough to have a place to do that.

Josh <><

Attack dogs? Jesus man.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I worked at a LEO training center doing a lot of scenario and force on force training. I've never been in a life-or-death gunfight, but I sure understand some of the difficulties and maybe a little bit of the stress. I can tell you after some of these experiences that a lot of the trainees didn't want to really discuss it because most of the time they got their tails shot off. Scary thing to think about when thats your career in front of you.

I can imagine it would be 1000 times worse for a civilian who has no free access to psychologists and mental help professionals.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I am not really looking for someone to tell me all about how they blasted some BG.

The closest I came was driving home from work one evening. I have a slightly tricked out what is considered a tuner car. Nice wheels, nitrous, body kit, audio system, the whole thing. I was driving home from work when I truck in front of my started to turn left. He was committed to his turn, so I committed to turn in behind him. He decided to cut hard right across my front and I ALMOST hit him. I swerved behind him somehow and kept going.
    He didn't like that one bit...neither did his friends in the car behind me. They chased me down one of the MAJOR surface streets here in town
    (I had 'em beat until I ran up on traffic...gotta love nitrous:-)
    Once we hit dead stop traffic the 1st truck pulled up alongside me (in the oncoming lane) and the 2nd car pulled right up on my back bumper.
    Out came the Glock 30. I chambered a round and aimed straight for the drivers skull...finger on the trigger. I FORGOT about the guys behind me..until I heard OH S....HE GOT A GAT... coming from my right rear. He could have dropped me without me ever knowing it except he had a ball bat instead of a gun....just dumb luck.
    Called the local PD....they wouldn't even take a report.
    now I don't leave the house without at least one gun...usually two

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    The closest I came was driving home from work one evening. I have a slightly tricked out what is considered a tuner car. Nice wheels, nitrous, body kit, audio system, the whole thing. I was driving home from work when I truck in front of my started to turn left. He was committed to his turn, so I committed to turn in behind him. He decided to cut hard right across my front and I ALMOST hit him. I swerved behind him somehow and kept going.
    He didn't like that one bit...neither did his friends in the car behind me. They chased me down one of the MAJOR surface streets here in town
    (I had 'em beat until I ran up on traffic...gotta love nitrous:-)
    Once we hit dead stop traffic the 1st truck pulled up alongside me (in the oncoming lane) and the 2nd car pulled right up on my back bumper.
    Out came the Glock 30. I chambered a round and aimed straight for the drivers skull...finger on the trigger. I FORGOT about the guys behind me..until I heard OH S....HE GOT A GAT... coming from my right rear. He could have dropped me without me ever knowing it except he had a ball bat instead of a gun....just dumb luck.
    Called the local PD....they wouldn't even take a report.
    now I don't leave the house without at least one gun...usually two
    Sounds like brandishing, could have gotten you into some serious trouble.

Just once. On a riverbank fishing alone. Two guys started walking toward me mumbling to themselves. I simply turned around to where they could see a holstered handgun. Looked at each other and took off.

BTW, holstered handgun was a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Kinda large.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    Out came the Glock 30. I chambered a round and aimed straight for the drivers skull...finger on the trigger. I FORGOT about the guys behind me..until I heard OH S....HE GOT A GAT... coming from my right rear.
    Uh, you chambered a round? Modern semi-autos are meant to keep a live round in the chamber.

Finger on the trigger? On a Glock, no less? Big no no until you are ready and committed to shoot your target. If you had turned that guys head into Campbell's Chunky Tomato Soup, I don't think it would have held up in court just because these guys were following you. What if you had a negliengent discharge, which this surely would have been the case with your finger on the trigger? You would be behind bars right now. These are some things that you need to think about. What did these guys do to make you feel that you had to escalate the situation and throw down your Ace card that early in the game? Why did you have to outrun them on the streets? You stated in your post that all these guys did was pull up beside you at a stop light. Then out comes the Glock 30????????? This sounds like just another case of road rage on your part. You provoked it with all of the racing around and stuff. So the guy got out with a ball bat. Did he try to force his way into your car? Could you have driven off?

I'm going to be blunt with you.....I think that you need to find someone in your area to train you in the proper way of carrying and employing the defensive combat pistol. You need to stick with this board and READ AND STUDY EVERYTHING YOU CAN. One wrong move and you are DEAD or you are in JAIL.

I am not flaming you with this post. On this message board we take great pride in not doing that. But I do want to pose some questions for you to ponder and think about.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; September 6th, 2006 at 12:28 AM. Reason: HAD MORE TO SAY!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links