guy shot with .22lr claims a weight fell on it and caused it to fire, believable?

This is a discussion on guy shot with .22lr claims a weight fell on it and caused it to fire, believable? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just saw this on Yahoo's "Odd News." "Weightlifter shot, says dumbbell dropped on bullet Weightlifter shot, says dumbbell dropped on bullet - Yahoo! News I ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Hopyard
  • 6 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By Inspector71
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By TheShadow

Thread: guy shot with .22lr claims a weight fell on it and caused it to fire, believable?

VIP Member

guy shot with .22lr claims a weight fell on it and caused it to fire, believable?

Just saw this on Yahoo's "Odd News."

"Weightlifter shot, says dumbbell dropped on bullet Weightlifter shot, says dumbbell dropped on bullet - Yahoo! News

I dunno! It doesn't sound believable to me but, "Modesto police investigators say the man's story is suspicious, but not impossible."

I'm thinking we need to call Mythbusters.
    Rock and Glock and Badey like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Hmm, the .22 is a rimfire round. If this went to Mythbusters, there is enough plausibility for me to enjoy the episode.
    But....I'd put money the gun disappeared due to not being properly registered in Commiefornia.

He probably just wanted to cover up the fact that he hit it with a hammer or weight to see what would happen.

I believe the round can fire after being hit with a weight,but I do not believe the round will penetrate,it will explode with the lighter case being blown off the bullet and the bullet never attaining any where enough velocity to penetrate,and at the most even if it managed to strike you it may leave a red mark at the impact point at the most.
    I believe his story is BS and he inadvertently shot himself/or was shot by someone else and tried to cover it up with this story
    bordercop, jbum, beararms and 3 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Maybe they can check the bullet for rifling marks when they remove it and walla! Case solved.
    Hopyard likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I believe the round can fire after being hit with a weight,but I do not believe the round will penetrate,it will explode with the lighter case being blown off the bullet and the bullet never attaining any where enough velocity to penetrate,and at the most even if it managed to strike you it may leave a red mark at the impact point at the most.
    I believe his story is BS and he inadvertently shot himself/or was shot by someone else and tried to cover it up with this story
    I second that as well. I think this is one of those cases where Hollywood has people believing that bullets can go flying (for example in a fire) where it is the shell casing which would fly and shouldn't have too much velocity because the velocity is created by the gases being confined within the barrel and the seal of the cartridge so the only way of escape is out the barrel. If it is out of a gun and the primer actually ignites the powder, the lighter shell casing might pop off a small distance but it really shouldn't go far as the gases escape evenly around the opening when it is not confined.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

If the weight hit the thing, yes it could ignite it. If it stayed on it and held the case as it went off, yes the bullet would be propelled the other direction or straight out. I'm not sure that it could hit at an "angle" other than FLAT that it would shoot out and up into his shoulder unless the edge of a metal heavy weight were to smash the rim only and it was at an angle when it ignited. I agree with checking bullet for rifling striations. Heard about a ******* once that used one in an old pickup truck when they had column fuses...in place of a fuse. He hit a bump, it fired off from spark ignition I guess and went down, hit brake peddle arm, ricochet up and into his testicle. I've had doubts about that as well...LOL I did know a guy that accidentally did shoot himself in the shoulder once though and he spent about 3 days in UT Hospital. Arguments with a girl should be confined until after your firearm is cleared, cleaned and put away. Good guy, just dumb luck.

VIP Member
    Back in the 1940s General Julian Hatcher conducted a series of experiments using a hotplate to set off rounds, he placed a cardboard box over the rounds to catch any fragments. All rounds went off but the bullet stayed in the original position and the case fragments lacked enough energy to penetrable the first layer of cardboard. There is much more to this story than the weightlifter will admit. I too am willing to believe if the bullet is examined there will be rifling marks.
    accessbob and bordercop like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I want to know what kind of person has loose ammo laying around and doesn't own a gun
    bordercop likes this.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    +1
    A bullet will hardly be propelled in any direction. More likely the brass will split and the bullet roll on the floor.
    I put several 22 rounds in a fire once by accident. The fire was in an old 55 gal barrel. Scared me pretty good when I heard them going off. None of them even dented the barrel, and all the recovered brass was split almost in half.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    +1
    I put several 22 rounds in a fire once by accident. The fire was in an old 55 gal barrel. Scared me pretty good when I heard them going off. None of them even dented the barrel, and all the recovered brass was split almost in half.
    Which is what I have posted several places about the myth that the movies and television puts forth about how rounds go flying everywhere when there is ammo in a fire. It becomes obvious if one looks closely at how the cartridge and barrel work together.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

The found the casing, that should indicate whether or not it was fired from a weapon or not....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Myth busters did do a segment on one where the bullet was used as a fuse for a headlight in a pick up. Bullet fired and struck the driver. I don't remember the outcome of it actually penetrating deep. But do believe it was able to go through pants.

Links