Good: Doctor pulls gun to keep from being robbed

This is a discussion on Good: Doctor pulls gun to keep from being robbed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://m.kxxv.com/LocalNewsStory.htm...ype%3drssstory Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

Thread: Good: Doctor pulls gun to keep from being robbed

Good: Doctor pulls gun to keep from being robbed

http://m.kxxv.com/LocalNewsStory.htm...ype%3drssstory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Bad link

by Adam Shear

WACO - A McLennan Co. man's attempted robbery on April 13 ended quickly when his victim pulled out a gun on the robber just before some county sheriff's detectives were able to put a stop to the crime.

Dr. Craig Burnside was just finishing a call with his wife and about to get out of his car in a parking lot in Downtown Waco late Friday night when two suspicious men approached him.

"[The robber] said hey your lucky my friend Sean is here and I said well why is that?," said Burnside. "[The robber] said because otherwise I'd be robbing you. I said well really well why don't you just move on and the conversation continued. I told him a couple times just leave, get out of here, go away. He kept saying you're lucky I should rob you, then he said you know what I'm just going to go ahead and rob you."

The robber was Juan Martinez, 41, but little did he know he had picked the wrong man to rob.

"I was thinking I can't let this happen. I got to get this guy before he gets me," said Burnside.

Burnside dropped his phone and grabbed the handgun that he had in his car. According to Burnside he then jumped out of his car and yelled at the man to leave.

Martinez did not have time to run away however, because within seconds two sheriff's detectives who had been watching the situation escalate close by jumped out of their cars. Burnside says the detectives then instructed all three men to get on the ground.

"[The detectives] did handcuff me," said Burnside. "[The detectives] took the time to sort out the situation and ascertain what was going on. They gave me my gun back and sent me home. I thought they were very professional and my interaction with them turned out to be very good. I'm glad they were there."

Martinez was not as lucky as Burnside though. The detectives arrested Martinez and charged him with attempted robbery.

According to the sheriff's office Martinez has also been charged with criminal mischief after he damaged one of the detectives cars during the arrest and harassment of a public servant for spitting on one of the detectives as well.

The man who was with Martinez was not charged with anything.

Burnside, who lives in the Lott area, says that he does not plan on coming back to Waco anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Way to go Doc!
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    He has time to have a conversation, and also time to enter his car to retrieve a gun, but not time to get in his car and drive off?

It may have gone down much quicker that I describe, but it leaves me to wonder if he could have avoided the entire situation.

Good on the doctor.

Doctor is lucky the thug wasn't armed with more than words,next time he may not have time to drop his phone, enter his car, grab his gun,before the BG riddles him with bullets
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links