Man charged for shooting warning shots

This is a discussion on Man charged for shooting warning shots within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's the downside of warning shots. Redford Man Charged for Firing Warning Shots at Car Thieves...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Man charged for shooting warning shots

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Here's the downside of warning shots.

Redford Man Charged for Firing Warning Shots at Car Thieves
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

guess the laws are different in MI than in TX. We can shoot BG's to protect our stuff, not just to protect our lives. I really dont have a problem with firing a warning shot into the dirt if you deem it necessary or to scare them off, but his specifically reasoning sound dumb. If I see a hand coming over the edge of the truck bed pointing at me(thinking its a gun), I shooting at you not firing a warning shot.
    Spade115 likes this.

That is why I don't like the concept of warning shots. The government of MI seems to be saying "either shoot the people or don't shoot at all."
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Well, well, well, multiple BG's doing 3,000 dollars damage to a man's truck flee into the night and get away. Then the police show up and charge the truck owner for discharging a gun inside the city. Justice has been served and the DA has someone to prosecute. Gotta love it!
    Sig 210 and RichB70 like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post
    guess the laws are different in MI than in TX.
    Yes, they are and are different in many ways in all of the states. So one really needs to know what their state and local laws are before doing anything.
    8th ID likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post
    guess the laws are different in MI than in TX. We can shoot BG's to protect our stuff, not just to protect our lives. I really dont have a problem with firing a warning shot into the dirt if you deem it necessary or to scare them off, but his specifically reasoning sound dumb. If I see a hand coming over the edge of the truck bed pointing at me(thinking its a gun), I shooting at you not firing a warning shot.
    We cannot protect property in MI. That is a big difference.

As for the warning shots, this guy is getting what he deserves. Some people need to educate themselves before picking up a weapon....
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

he was a wuss; with a gun in his hand he should have aproched the guy in the truck and pistol whooped his butt.

Maybe this would have been a good candidate for racking a 12 ga! I hope he fights it and wins. What do they want you to do? Oh yeah, be a good witness and let the thieves drive off in the night with your truck. Somehow that does not seem like the right thing to do either. I'm pretty tired of the law giving us law abiding no wiggle room to stop these scumbags. No one was hurt, his car was not stolen, he put the rounds into the dirt where it's safer; pat him on the back and tell him good job IMO.
    Freedom Doc and msgt/ret like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    It kinda' sucks that someone (in MI) can steal your stuff right in front of you and you're unable to "protect" your property. My brother, who used to live in D (pre-Castle Doc), watched helplessly out his window that was adjacent to the driveway, as 2 vehicles/2 incidences were stolen. He actually came face-to-face (with a window in between) with one of the car thieves.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Should have fired a "warning shot" INTO one of the perps, and the rest would be history; story indicated someone "pointed at him"; that would be enough for me to fire and say halt!
    msgt/ret likes this.

so how does the law work in MI with its law against protecting your possessions? In this specific situation is the guy allowed to go outside with a gun to investigate a possible robbery? Once out there if he believed one of the BG pointed a gun at him could he shoot them to protect himself, not protecting his possessions?

VIP Member
    My opinions on warning shots aside, I hope this guy takes it down the road. Good luck to any prosecutor in finding 12 law-abiding citizens willing to unanimously convict this guy for the actions he took.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

You can use a fire arm to protect your self, but not your property ?. Thats total B.S. I would use my fire arm to protect my self or my property anytime I felt it was necessary to do so. The only difference is I would have shot at the bad guys, not the ground.

VIP Member
    MI is a nice state but they got some dumb gun laws.

no man's land between Montana and Alberta
    I don't agree with his course of action. A warning shot is no more effective than yelling "Stop, or I'll shoot!", except that it's a tad bit louder. I've only ever heard of "shoot/no shoot" scenarios, warning shot has never been an option.

If you aren't willing to use it, you shouldn't carry it. He's only making things worse by making up excuses why he did it, but I still don't think he should be charged. One of my neighbors got charged with a similar offense of discharging a firearm in town, but at least he was killing something when he did it (a dog that was threatening his children).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links