Suspect killed after Smyrna standoff (involves ccw)

This is a discussion on Suspect killed after Smyrna standoff (involves ccw) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...tstandoff.html Suspect killed after Smyrna standoff By SAEED AHMED The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Published on: 09/05/06 An armed man, suspected of trying to rob a woman ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...tstandoff.html

Suspect killed after Smyrna standoff

By SAEED AHMED
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 09/05/06

An armed man, suspected of trying to rob a woman and carjack a man, was shot and killed by police after a four-hour standoff in Smyrna Tuesday evening.

The man, who was not immediately identified, had holed up in the yard of a home on King Springs Road after unsuccessfully trying to rob a woman and a Publix supermarket and then exchanging gunfire with the driver of a sports utility vehicle, police said.

Smyrna officers, with help from Cobb County police department's SWAT team, tried for hours to coax the man out before eventually deciding to subdue him with bean bag rounds, said Smryna police Sgt. Robert Harvey.

The rounds knocked the man down, but he got back up and pointed his gun at SWAT officers who had entered the yard, Harvey said.

The man was then shot and killed.

The stand-off stemmed from an incident at a Publix supermarket on South Cobb Drive when the man tried to rob a woman about 1:30 p.m., police said.

The woman resisted, forcing the man to drive off in a car.

With a description provided by the woman, police were able to spot the man about 1.5 miles away at a gas station on South Cobb Drive and King Springs Road.

Harvey said the man walked into the store and changed clothes. When police confronted him, he ran into the Keeneland Farm apartment complex behind the gas station.

There, the man tried to carjack a Chevrolet Suburban with two children inside, police said. But the driver of the Suburban pulled out a handgun and fired at the man.

The man fired back, but no one was hurt, Harvey said.

The man then ran from the apartment complex along King Springs Road for about 150 feet before diving into the backyard of a single-family home, police said.

Harvey said officers tried negotiating with him, trying to convince him to surrender while at the same time ensuring that he did not leave the yard.

Students at three schools in the area, all within a few of miles, were kept at the schools for a brief period after the normal dismissal time, said Cobb County Schools spokesman Jay Dillon.

"The students themselves were never in any danger," Dillon said. "Initially we held all the buses, then released the ones that weren't going to the evacuated neighborhood."

An officer was sent to the house to remain with a resident inside the house. Police had deemed it too risky to try and get him out, Harvey said.

"Once [the man's] actions became a little agitated, we realized we were going to have to take some more measures," Harvey said.

The county police SWAT team officers then moved into the yard, and ordered the man to drop his weapon. He refused, Harvey said.

The shooting followed.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

member: NRA, SAF, GOA, USCCA
    GeorgiaCarry.org

VIP Member
    Good job! Only the BG buys it, innocent people are safe and we know which section of the story will be removed by USA Today and other media outlets
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

The man fired back, but no one was hurt, Harvey said.
    Could have ended right there and then. Remind me to seek more training.

I'm just glad no one else got hurt and that this particular BG reaped it.

Yes, unforunately, the BG will be re-cast by the media as the hapless victim.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    This happened about 25 miles from my home in an area that has really began to go downhill quickly.

Smyrna by the way, is home to Glock.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    What's important is that the good guys didn't get hit and the bad guy was stopped...somewhat permanently though.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

A Lot of Paperwork...

but thousands of tax dollars saved from 'no trial'...good job!

One less dirtbag walking the streets~

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Alright...most of the time I agree with most of the people here. But now, give me a break guys. A human being was killed today. Someone that had a mother and a father. There will be people mourning his death. Sure he probably got what was coming to him but when we've got to the point when we are celebrating the death of another person, any person...we should re-evaluate our perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by rvacoastie View Post
    Alright...most of the time I agree with most of the people here. But now, give me a break guys. A human being was killed today. Someone that had a mother and a father. There will be people mourning his death. Sure he probably got what was coming to him but when we've got to the point when we are celebrating the death of another person, any person...we should re-evaluate our perspectives.
    You are right...some will mourn his death. I will not. He chose a violence as a way of life, and it became his way of death. He endangered many innocent men, women, and children, and the world is a better place now that he is gone. May his death serve as a warning to others who may follow a similar course.

Assistant Administrator
    Coastie - you are right in essence - but sad to say the guy himself made decisions and they were both criminal in intent and at the last stage, entirely the wrong ones.

I feel sad for his family yes - that is an often ignored byproduct of a bad guy going down. I am not celebrating other than the fact that the guy who bought it was the bad guy and not some good guy who might have left a family fatherless.

It's all relative.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    On the up side no innocent, law abiding decent people were killed or injured before the BG was stopped. Too bad he was killed, but if you point guns at PD thats what happens. they did all they could to take him down without violence(even putting themselves in more danger).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I Do Not Celebrate...

the death of any human...so to speak...but...
    If you had a close family member abused and killed by some loooow life, and then saw him walk because of a minor detail, you might just hope the NEXT BG gets his...without having to wait for a court date... JMHO

This guy got excatly what he WAS looking for...

A conservative is only a liberal with experience! ...and I've had my experiences!

I make no apologies for attempted rapists, and muggers, and the sorts...getting 'final call' during the commission of a crime!

But I should not, and do not want to appear as one who is

Respectfully submitted,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rvacoastie View Post
    If that's enough to turn your sensitivity button on, I guess maybe you and I live in different worlds.

Hell, he deserved to die. Thieves, robbers, rapists. They prey on the innocent. Most would willingly kill you or anyone else in order to continue their lives of crime and evil. You mourn, I'm gonna hoist another beer and hope another one gets his ass shot off tomorrow.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

Administrator
    That BG sure had "one of those days" were nothing seemed to go right for him.

He had a real bad day & never to have another day at all.

Glad that all turned out fine for the good guys this time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sorry Coastie but I disagree with you on this.

I will not mourn the death of a criminal who robbed, threatened, shot at people, then aimed a police officers. I think the police were very tolerant in their attempts to arrest not kill him, and I am glad we are spared the expense of a trial and incarceration for someone who would most likely go straight back to crime on his release.

I am also very glad that the suburban driver was armed otherwise the criminal would have had two small children as hostages.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links