Odd: New homeowners held at gunpoint by neighbors

This is a discussion on Odd: New homeowners held at gunpoint by neighbors within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Couple held at gunpoint, arrested after buying home *| ajc.com Odd. Dunno the backstory, but the reaction of the neighbors, given the facts, seems over ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Odd: New homeowners held at gunpoint by neighbors

VIP Member

Odd: New homeowners held at gunpoint by neighbors

Couple held at gunpoint, arrested after buying home *| ajc.com

Odd. Dunno the backstory, but the reaction of the neighbors, given the facts, seems over the top.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    So, in Newton County you must carry your deed or other legal papers to prove you own your home in your pocket or risk going to jail? I smell some very bad fallout coming for the Sheriff's Office.
    Hopyard likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Id be pressing charges on the neibors, new owners or 'prowlers' there is no reason to point a gun or shoot somebody
    Spade115 likes this.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

I believe that the Sheriff may be buying these folks a new home.
    Hopyard, Bark'n, ccman and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Wow. Sheriff's people could not take 10 minutes to check the facts. I have the number to a very good attorney for the couple.

Is there more to this story?
    Last edited by ANGLICO; April 23rd, 2012 at 03:33 AM.

So who brings locks to break in a home? How stupid can you be?

VIP Member
    I see a Very big boo-boo on the part of the so-called neighbors and the doofus @ the sheriffs office who didn't do his due dilligence, and an even bigger LAW SUIT for these homeowners.
    At the very least they should have been allowed to call someone to bring documentation, or the real estate salesperson, or allow either the husband OR wife to leave the police station to get the appropriate documentation.
    OR, common sense could have prevailed, and, if the new homeowners said they were there to change the locks, had the locks, and were willing to let officers take their DL # and run a LEIN on them, and if all came back OK, let them go for now, and let them bring in documentation at a later time.

Somebodys getting some money, somebodys getting a hard lesson.

BTW;

Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you want.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I believe that the Sheriff may be buying these folks a new home.
    I'd be curious to see what, if anything, transpires from this odd occurrence. I'm assuming that they had keys, for cripe's sake.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Wow, this is messed up. I feel bad for the home owners.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Wow, when we have had new neighbors my wife took them food to welcome them. Guess some people do it it differently.
    tiwee, Charles07, ccman and 1 others like this.

What we have here is a total lack of common sense. First off the neighbor had no right holding anyone at gunpoint. He should have called the cops if he thought someone was breaking into it. Someone breaking in does not bring a key with them. Also the neighbor had to know that the house was in foreclosure and was on the market, so should have expected someone to be there looking at it, or buying it.

Secondly, the sheriffs office had no common sense at all. Just assume they are loitering? Did they have a key? What were they doing? Cleaning? Changing Locks? The sheriff's office could have "listened" to what the people were telling them and checked out their story before hauling them off to jail.

I agree with everyone else. I smell a nice law suit here, for both the Sheriff's office and the nosy neighbor. Maybe some charges on the neighbor for brandishing or threatening with a deadly weapon.
    ccman and babarock like this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Azchief View Post
    Wow, when we have had new neighbors my wife took them food to welcome them. Guess some people do it it differently.

LOL! I never thought of it that way. "Hi, we live across the street. Welcome to the neighborhood. Oh, and (pulls out gun) GET YOUR HANDS UP!"
    tiwee likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Not exactly the best way to start a friendly relationship with the neighbors.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Is this what they mean by "Southern hospitality"?

Seriously, seems like the armed neighbors have a personal interest in the foreclosed property (maybe they put in a losing bid? or Cuzzin Bubba lived there?). Regardless, stupidity was in excess supply. I'm real curious to see how this plays out.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Is this what they mean by "Southern hospitality"?

Seriously, seems like the armed neighbors have a personal interest in the foreclosed property (maybe they put in a losing bid? or Cuzzin Bubba lived there?). Regardless, stupidity was in excess supply. I'm real curious to see how this plays out.
    FWIW which is nothing, I have a different take. I think they just saw someone at a home where in their view no one belonged and rushed in to do their civic duty-- as stupidly as possible. They deserve to be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

But, there has to be more. The folks were arrested. Doesn't make sense at all. Either there was an abundance of stupid
    going around the neighborhood that day, or perhaps the officer didn't want to arrest Uncle Bubba and his first cousin.

I know what I'd be doing now if I were the home owners.
    ccman and ANGLICO like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links